Battery terminal corrosion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
To clean terminals and cable lugs it is often written (or said) that baking soda solution is the way to go. What is the optimum solution? How much baking soda per unit volume?

Greetings,
Welcome aboard. Soda? Try a heaping Tbsp in 1/2 cup of water. Do NOT allow any to get into cells. Have LOTS of paper towels handy and wear safety glasses.

After you clean most of it up, lightly spray the terminals and connectors with Corrosion X.

CorrosionX

Ted

Somebody (maybe here) turned me on to "NCP2":
914iPx8p-RL._SL1500_.jpg

I've only used it since last year, so I can't yet say how effective it is, but so far so good. You brush it on, and it leaves a thick, somewhat sticky layer of material on the terminals.

Keep the battery tops neutralized with baking soda/water and thoroughly dry and corrosion of the terminals will be a thing of the past. No need for CRC or any other product.

Petroleum jelly has worked forever , cheap and probably already onboard.

What causes battery terminal corrosion?

-Chris

A usual cause is out gassing during charging. The battery vents gasses and aerosols contain sulfuric acid. Older batteries and over charging cause more gassing.

Somebody (maybe here) turned me on to "NCP2":
914iPx8p-RL._SL1500_.jpg

I've only used it since last year, so I can't yet say how effective it is, but so far so good. You brush it on, and it leaves a thick, somewhat sticky layer of material on the terminals.
Kopr-Kote by Jetlube does the same thing and doubles as a terrific anti-seize compound.

Batty terminal corrosion

Thanks RT Firefly. I interpret the unit "Tbsp" as "tablespoon". This non-ISO unit will be researched in Wife's kitchen. :)

All others who have suggested their favorite cures are also thanked. I do not have enough batteries to try them all !

Greetings,
Mr. GS. There is no exact amount of baking soda (NaHCO3) to be used. This, as my analytical chemistry prof used to say, is "bucket chemistry". ANY concentrated solution will neutralize the acidic corrosion on battery terminals. As I mentioned, be very careful no solution finds it way into the battery cells as battery death will occur.

A usual cause is out gassing during charging. The battery vents gasses and aerosols contain sulfuric acid. Older batteries and over charging cause more gassing.

Look very carefully at your vent caps. A good quality battery will have caps that vent out the side. By aiming the venting away from the terminal posts you will prevent corrosion issues. On the other hand if you install the cap backwards you end up aiming the gasses right at the terminal post, there by creating a huge corrosion mess.

If one post or terminal shows corrosion again while the others stay clean then be aware the seal between the battery case and that post may be failed. That will allow the gasses and mist to exit right next to the post.
I've seen that happen a few times over the years. Usually caused by hamfisted terminal removal.
Get your self a decent battery terminal puller and save the batteries.

Best solution is to replace the batteries with AGM (or any VRLA) - problem gone.

With baking soda, just make a wet paste thick enough not to run all over the place and brush it on with an acid or flux brush. Wait till it quits sizzling. Then clean off with water.

There are things called recombinant caps which will reduce outgassing and water loss, they replace your battery caps.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom