Removing and Replacing "SCHLEGEL"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Got your attention?

Schlegel (I call it window fethers) is the technical term for the little fuzzy stuff around your sliding glass windows on your boat that creates a seal. See pic.

So I have a bunch of this stuff, but I can't figure out how to install it. On the inside of the window frame is a channel on both side that this stuff is installed.

How do you install this stuff?

I placed the bottom of the new seal into the bottom of the track, then tried all kinds of pointy devices to try and pop it into the upper channel. Nothing works.

Any ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_3304.jpg
    IMG_3304.jpg
    120.1 KB · Views: 136
  • IMG_3305.jpg
    IMG_3305.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_3306.jpg
    IMG_3306.jpg
    72 KB · Views: 126
Greetings,
Mr. ASD. I've got exactly the same on our small boat. The strip has fuzz on one edge and a rigid strip of plastic on the opposite edge. That rigid strip of plastic has fit into the groove in the extrusion. The ONLY way I found was to grind the overhanging lips on the extrusion (top and bottom) for a short distance (1" or so) so the rigid plastic will slide into the groove. There may be a short section overhanging lip already removed...near a drain possibly?

The remaining track must be scrupulously clean to allow the new strip to slide in. I had a fair amount of corrosion (aluminum track) that was the devil to clean out to allow the schlegel to slide readily the whole length of the window.

Last edited:
Wow, a Schlegel thread, I had to check to see what it is. My buddy is trying to replace his and thinks it is a U that come out likely as RTF has explained. Let us know, I may have to replace my Schlegel some day:thumb:

Indeed, one must replace the Schlegel. Much needed to keep the outside cold air from entering the nice warm interior, especially during those “Warm” summer days in AK!
��

I always thought you had to get the window out to replace it. Saw a post on the Mainship thread about using a hydraulic jack to spread the frame a little...…:eek:

One issue I am running into is that you can't remove the windows......Nothing is easy on a boat is it???

I tried replacing the felt and I couldn’t figure it out. Hopefully you can. We ended replacing the tracks with StanPro Y582 but we had to remove the windows from the inside by removing the frames. The windows were built on a bench with the tracks, glass and frames complete, then installed when the boat was built. Not an easy project. I feel your pain. Good luck.

https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?path=-1&id=4172879

Attachments

• 4F97AC91-78F5-427F-B8F1-E6BE9BE3A0B7.jpg
    4F97AC91-78F5-427F-B8F1-E6BE9BE3A0B7.jpg
    106.8 KB · Views: 100
Last edited:
So the stuff I got is the exact same width as what is currently in there. I found that if I have an open end on one side of the channel, I can start it, then take a sharp pointy tool and put the material down the track.

The problem is when these windows were assembled 30 years ago the weather stripping was installed as they built the window, with no thought if it had to be replaced at a later date. Also without the ability to actually remove the window, some spots will not be replaced.

I also can take a pair of small wire cutters and trim the plastic backing so that it will snap into the track. Doing the top track will hurt my body the most as you are leaning out the window working over your head.:nonono:

One of the MOST important part of all this is to make sure your window drains are clean and not plugged with mud, leaves etc.

Attachments

• IMG_3307.jpg
    IMG_3307.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 101
  • IMG_3308.jpg
    IMG_3308.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_3309.jpg
    IMG_3309.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 98
Greetings,
Mr. ASD. I've got exactly the same on our small boat. The strip has fuzz on one edge and a rigid strip of plastic on the opposite edge. That rigid strip of plastic has fit into the groove in the extrusion. The ONLY way I found was to grind the overhanging lips on the extrusion (top and bottom) for a short distance (1" or so) so the rigid plastic will slide into the groove. There may be a short section overhanging lip already removed...near a drain possibly?

The remaining track must be scrupulously clean to allow the new strip to slide in. I had a fair amount of corrosion (aluminum track) that was the devil to clean out to allow the schlegel to slide readily the whole length of the window.
RT has the fix. We changed ours during a window replacement caused by my big ads going through the windows. I think the fuzzy stuff is called Wool Pile. Search the forum for Wool Pile. My tracks had a perpendicular slot to insert the plastic backing. If you don't have the slot you could cut one with a drumel.

Greetings,
Mr. ASD. "... was installed as they built the window," Exactly the reason you have to grind away some of the overhanging lip in order to get the strip, at least, started. As Mr. S notes, it is much easier to do IF you can remove the glass and indeed, you may have to jack the frame apart enough to slip the glass out.

Just saw Mr. f's post. Yes, Dremel tool to cut the aluminum.

I relined my SS window channels. I used vinyl siding cut long strips, then using a heat gun formed a U shape over a 1/4" edge, recut so it was smooth edged and snapped it into the old SS channels. Yeah, it was not easy, but it has never failed, did that 10 yrs ago. The windows hold it in place and it has a little spring back too. The glass slides easily on that plastic. The hardest part was getting rid of all the rotten bits of fluffy stuff left in the old channels.

It seemed my only other option was to buy new channels with the felt fluff already attached.

A couple front windows had a wider original track. I used a softer piece of indoor outdoor blue olefin carpet that had no rubber backing and glued that in place. It seals very well. but crud can build up and somehow locks the glass and it gets stuck if you don't use them for a long time. But if you use the windows it is ok.

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. HC. That is what MY strip looked like. What the strip slid into looked something like this:

th

As mentioned, the strip was installed THEN the frames were assembled so to gain access to the sort of "C" channel you have to grind off the outsides of the "C" for about 1" to make a "U". How can I make this more confusing????

Wow, a Schlegel thread, I had to check to see what it is. My buddy is trying to replace his and thinks it is a U that come out likely as RTF has explained. Let us know, I may have to replace my Schlegel some day:thumb:

I've been ignoring because I was sure it was about a door lock. Schlage, Schlegel...close enough.

Schlegel

Hi
I saw this post from years ago and this is the product I have been searching the net to get for a couple of weeks now.
Could you please tell me where to get this Schlegel from as you cannot purchase it in Australia anymore.
I thank you in advance.
Cheers Steve

Hi
I saw this post from years ago and this is the product I have been searching the net to get for a couple of weeks now.
Could you please tell me where to get this Schlegel from as you cannot purchase it in Australia anymore.
I thank you in advance.
Cheers Steve

SWISCO.COM
It is also called wool pile weather stripping.

Hi Steve.
I have a half roll of this that I bought a couple of years ago to replace the felt on my aliminium windows so if you are interested you could pm me and we could arrange to get some to you at minimal cost.
John-Arcturus

Back
Top Bottom