View Single Post
Old 12-04-2018, 02:17 PM   #20
steelydon

City: Beaufort, NC
Vessel Name: Legacy
Vessel Model: Ocean Alexander 48E
Congratulations on your next step in boating. You are right that there is a lot to learn and most of your knowledge will come from experience. However that being said there is much that can and should be learned before you trust yourself to experience. The other members have already suggested Power Squadron courses or USCG Auxiliary courses.

Steering the boat is not a problem (in most cases) I routinely assign novices the helm during outings with friends and seldom touch the wheel until it is time to dock. However, it is docking that probably causes the most apprehension among boaters. Here only experience will carry the day and the idea of hiring a captain is probably money well spent.

Getting from point A to point B is relatively easy especially in the ICW. Between A and B you need to get used to the idea that you are a systems manager. Engine, generator, refrigeration, HVAC, plumbing, sanitation, hydraulics, fuel management, communication, electronics, AC and DC power and the list goes on. To be self sufficient you need to have a working knowledge of these systems if for no other reason than to point a technician in the right direction.

From time to time I do a sort of introduction to trawlering in which I try to impart what you need to know and point to resources that can provide this knowledge base. I have done this on my boat which is in Beaufort, NC or the owners boat and if you would like to PM me I would be happy to discuss it further. Regardless the journey you and your wife are about to embark on is exciting, fun and you meet a lot of great people like the ones on this thread.

Good luck!
Steelydon
steelydon is offline   Reply With Quote