So here I am at Lake Worth Anchorage

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pluto

Vessel Name
Hot Shot
Vessel Make
Mainship 390
Comfortably at anchor as I head south to the Keys.
All I see around me are sailboats. As far as the eye can see.

Has there ever been a discussion about the ratio of sail vs power cruisers? Seems to me we are out numbered big time.

Yes we are outnumbered in the anchorages. The sailing culture fits with anchoring. The trawler culture is more into marinas, besides being outnumbered by sailboats in general.

David

I anchor out most of the time when cruising and rarely find power boats in the majority. That said I think most of the time the ratio is less than 4:1. Interestingly, when I migrate North or South during Snowbird, the ratio seems to be maybe 2:1 (vessels underway).

Ted

The other power boats I see in anchorages are usually in or near the "trawler" class.

I used to really be the odd one out in my 29' go-fast express cruiser! Now I fit in well enough that the sailboaters grudgingly smile and wave, sometimes using all five fingers.

I am currently anchored in key West harbor. Sailboats out number me maybe. 20 to 1 here

Attachments

• 1543683719359782603059.jpg
    1543683719359782603059.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 230
In practice, 90% of those "cruising" sailboats in those anchorages are really just displacement single diesel express boats with an outdoor helm and a tall mast.

When we’re in Mexico, west coast, there as many power boats as sailboats in the anchorages sometimes. Cruising conditions were more benign. A comment we heard frequently from the sailboaters was, “I thought we’d be sailing more”.

In practice, 90% of those "cruising" sailboats in those anchorages are really just displacement single diesel express boats with an outdoor helm and a tall mast.

We call them a "powerboat with a stick."

...A comment we heard frequently from the sailboaters was, “I thought we’d be sailing more”.

Same here. I think the dream of sailing is tempered somewhat by the reality of having to get somewhere.

Our nickname "powerboat with a stick" came to us while cruising, off shore, in between harbors. Even when they had a nice reach available, we'd see bare poles on almost every sailboat in transit. Get near a harbor, and you see lots of boats out for a day sail. In between, not so much. I never quite understood why.

I was anchored in Lake Worth for four days last week. Waiting on watermaker part prior to heading to Bahamas. Went to marina on Monday. All fixed now. Will go back to anchor for a night and head out Monday it looks like. IMG_1476.jpg

At 53’ I was feeling kinda small.

In all of our years patrolling for the CG Auxiliary, we have responded to one mayday call. When we got on scene we found a sailboat full of frantic people. Asking them what the problem was, they responded we are out of gas...

At 53' you are kinda small. That looks like Rybovich behind you. When I retired from there, they wouldn't take a boat under 85' unless it was family or a "dinghy" for one of the big boys pictured. I hope they've changed their mind by now. Ben

You could flip that question with what is the ratio of powerboats to sailboats as transients at marinas.

Did you mean Rybovich or rob the rich?

We find Rybovich to be extremely professional and to be fair. As to price, they do the work right the first time and they do offer reduced pricing for off season.

The other power boats I see in anchorages are usually in or near the "trawler" class.

I used to really be the odd one out in my 29' go-fast express cruiser! Now I fit in well enough that the sailboaters grudgingly smile and wave, sometimes using all five fingers.

Very funny! Started my day with a chuckle. I may have waved at you when you had your go-fast.

In all of our years patrolling for the CG Auxiliary, we have responded to one mayday call. When we got on scene we found a sailboat full of frantic people. Asking them what the problem was, they responded we are out of gas...

Those weren't sailors. Those were powerboaters on a sailboat! :D

I anchor out most of the time when cruising and rarely find power boats in the majority. That said I think most of the time the ratio is less than 4:1. Interestingly, when I migrate North or South during Snowbird, the ratio seems to be maybe 2:1 (vessels underway).

Ted
I'm sorry to see a lot of the bigger power boats in this area of Florida never leave the dock. I have witnessed many boats day after day year after year slowly disintegrate right at their own dock.
O.C. we too are more likely to anchor out than go to a marina. Not sure why,we have just always done that.

We travel 1,700 miles from CT to FL and then the same distance back each year. The trip can take 3 to 5 weeks depending on where we decide to stop to visit friends and family or sight see. We anchor virtually all the time.

Why? It's easier than docking, tying up, and plugging in. It gives us privacy, it provides beautiful scenery, it's fun to explore in the dinghy, we can fire up the BBQ, and in the morning when we want to leave at first light we simply pull the hook and we're off. Oh yeah, it saves some money too. YMMV

I'm sorry to see a lot of the bigger power boats in this area of Florida never leave the dock. I have witnessed many boats day after day year after year slowly disintegrate right at their own dock.
O.C. we too are more likely to anchor out than go to a marina. Not sure why,we have just always done that.

You see a lot of smaller boats too, a lot of sailboats too, that are seldom used. Two primary reasons. With some owners, they simply lack the passion for boating they anticipated. With other owners, they simply lack the time and energy. Both spouses work and kids have so many interests. With two weeks vacation per year the norm and three or four less common, when is one going to boat. Then executives who may own the larger boats have even less time, not more. Their vacation plans change at the last minute.

In the US, leisure time is not as readily available as elsewhere in the world and it's not made the same priority. An executive in Europe for a major company will plan next summer I'm going to spend the first two weeks of June cruising with family, leave them and then return to the boat the last two weeks of July. In the US, the similar executive simply can not plan and keep their plans that far in advance.

We travel 1,700 miles from CT to FL and then the same distance back each year. The trip can take 3 to 5 weeks depending on where we decide to stop to visit friends and family or sight see. We anchor virtually all the time.

Why? It's easier than docking, tying up, and plugging in. It gives us privacy, it provides beautiful scenery, it's fun to explore in the dinghy, we can fire up the BBQ, and in the morning when we want to leave at first light we simply pull the hook and we're off. Oh yeah, it saves some money too. YMMV

When you stop to visit friends and family or sight see, do you still anchor?

Sight seeing and enjoying amenities like entertainment and restaurants would be primary reasons we use marinas.

May not matter if you pick a good anchorage and dingy access.

May not matter if you pick a good anchorage and dingy access.

Easier to come and go from the dock, so sight see, return to boat, go to dinner. Also, anchorage and dinghy becomes less convenient as number of people increases. Many here cruise with one or two people aboard. That's less than 5% of our cruising.

Easier to come and go from the dock, so sight see, return to boat, go to dinner. Also, anchorage and dinghy becomes less convenient as number of people increases. Many here cruise with one or two people aboard. That's less than 5% of our cruising.

Same with us - lots of friends and family - and we love having them:thumb: Already have a Google calendar set up for the Loop:angel::angel: But we do plan on anchoring out a lot on the Loop - no option in many areas.

Ted
We need a mathematician to run some calculas on your observation. At your cruising speed the fast guys are overtaking you at a higher rate than the sailboat you encounter. Just pulled that out of my butt Ted. Cheers.[emoji12]

You see a lot of smaller boats too, a lot of sailboats too, that are seldom used. Two primary reasons. With some owners, they simply lack the passion for boating they anticipated. With other owners, they simply lack the time and energy. Both spouses work and kids have so many interests. With two weeks vacation per year the norm and three or four less common, when is one going to boat. Then executives who may own the larger boats have even less time, not more. Their vacation plans change at the last minute.

In the US, leisure time is not as readily available as elsewhere in the world and it's not made the same priority. An executive in Europe for a major company will plan next summer I'm going to spend the first two weeks of June cruising with family, leave them and then return to the boat the last two weeks of July. In the US, the similar executive simply can not plan and keep their plans that far in advance.

this particular area of Florida is home to 90% retirees, but I think you hit the nail on the head when you say... A lack of passion for boating

this particular area of Florida is home to 90% retirees, but I think you hit the nail on the head when you say... A lack of passion for boating

Wifey B: You see a lot of people who buy boats based on hopes and fantasy but just not really boaters. :)

Greetings.
You also see retirees that are becoming less able to boat for various reasons.

Last edited:
When you stop to visit friends and family or sight see, do you still anchor?

Sight seeing and enjoying amenities like entertainment and restaurants would be primary reasons we use marinas.

When we stop to visit friends and family we most often stay at a marina. For sightseeing it depends on where we are stopping. Our favorite restaurant along the way is at a marina so we stop there too. As said before we do prefer to anchor out.

... Then executives who may own the larger boats have even less time, not more. Their vacation plans change at the last minute.

But most executives that have large yachts probably have clever tax accountants that manage to claim that the "boss" is working while on board and the boat is just another business expense (office space, entertaining clients, business meetings, etc.) and are able to write a lot of it off. The two weeks cruising with the family is the only part he actually has to pay for (and maybe not even that).

Back
Top Bottom