FNG looking for an education

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RestlessGypsy

Hello all!

I joined this forum because I need an education! My wife and I recently retired and we are somewhat, in the process of planning some adventures.

I grew up on the Gulf of Mexico, commercial fishing with my Father and Uncle out of Tarpon Springs. I've owned boats up to 42' and now looking to invest in an ocean going expedition trawler to "potentially" and a big maybe, at this point, circumnavigate the globe.
At the very least, our desire is to make the crossing to Europe and back as well as thru the canal to the Pacific, up to Alaska and who knows where.
This has been a life long dream of mine that I have shared with my wife since the day we met, she calls it my life long obsession.

Thanks for having me!

Welcome. There are a number of TF members who have had experience with what you are envisioning. I’m not one of them. :). Lots of good information here. Good luck.

Check out "Dauntless at Sea". An older 42' single engine trawler that did two Atlantic crossings, went through the Canal and is now in Cali taking a bit of a break. I think his intent is to do the Pacific via Alaska and continue westward.

A bit smaller than I would prefer for that type of travel, but shows a bit of what is possible. The owner is a contributor to this site. I've helped him with some minor technical issues.

Welcome! I suspect you'll be teaching as much as you'll be learning. Whichever it is, good luck pursuing your obsession.

Welcome aboard. Obsessions can be a very good thing.

I grew up on the Gulf of Mexico, commercial fishing with my Father and Uncle out of Tarpon Springs.

I have nothing constructive to add other than your post spurred fond memories. I grew up sailing catamarans off of the Dunedin causeway and using them sometimes to sneak us on to islands off Tarpon Springs for high school hijinks. Ah, good times. I will say no more so as to protect the [STRIKE]innocent[/STRIKE] guilty. ;)

The ‘80s were a flat-out good time to be a teenager, especially in Florida with a boat. I would seriously hate to be a teenager these days.

Last edited:
Welcome. I am looking forward to your posts as you do your boat search then your travels.

I have nothing constructive to add other than your post spurred fond memories. I grew up sailing catamarans off of the Dunedin causeway and using them sometimes to sneak us on to islands off Tarpon Springs for high school hijinks. Ah, good times. I will say no more so as to protect the [STRIKE]innocent[/STRIKE] guilty. ;)

The ‘80s were a flat-out good time to be a teenager, especially in Florida with a boat. I would seriously hate to be a teenager these days.

I can neither confirm nor deny my own participation in similar, "high school hijinks", tho I am aware of such activities and have witnessed for myself these so called "crimes of youth"!
The Anclote keys have always been an endearing memory for me as well. Nice to see that it is still a small world!

Thank you all for the welcome!

Restless:

You stated "I joined this forum because I need an education" but you didn't mention what you wanted the members to help you with? There are a lot of seasoned boaters here so ask them what you want to be educated on.

Restless:

You stated "I joined this forum because I need an education" but you didn't mention what you wanted the members to help you with? There are a lot of seasoned boaters here so ask them what you want to be educated on.

Yes, this is true, I am in need of an education and there is an abundance of great knowledge here.

Questions will come, tho an education can be received by the simple act of reading thru experiences of others and absorbing the information being shared, without the redundancy of questions.

The search feature works as well.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom