Need surveyor recommendations for Anacortes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bajabuzz

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Simbalaut
Vessel Make
Navigator 5300 Sundance
We put an offer in on a 1995 Navigator 5300 today and will need a recommendation for a great surveyor near Anacortes.

We will also need an engine survey done. It has Volvos so someone familiar with them would be great.

Thanks in advance for any and all help.

I've hired Steve Berg for three surveys and found his reports thorough and helpful. He welcomes having you with him while he works and gives a lot of good info and suggestions during the survey. bergmarinesurveys.com

My boats all had Cummins so I don't know who to recommend for Volvo.

I've hired Steve Berg for three surveys and found his reports thorough and helpful. He welcomes having you with him while he works and gives a lot of good info and suggestions during the survey. bergmarinesurveys.com

My boats all had Cummins so I don't know who to recommend for Volvo.

I second Steve Berg. But he is highly sought after. Took me nearly a month to get him on the boat.

For engine survey I would call Craig Smith at Compass Marine. Not sure how much Volvo he does. He is also highly sought after and is usually very busy.

We used Galen Tyler from Captains Marine Surveyors (360-202-1648) last December for a 40' trawler purchase. He was pleasant and apparently thorough, taking as much time to explain things to me as I wished for. Galen found things (one significant) that the Hatton Marine "technician" missed, and he took care of a couple of on-the-spot-type fixes, if I recall correctly.

I have not spoken to him since receiving my report, and I would call him again if needed.

Our previous boat had a Volvo Penta diesel. We used Ed at Islands Marine Center on Lopez Island. He looks at bunches of D4s - not sure if he is as experienced with your prospective engine. Ed and Mason (service manager) at IMC are as honest as they come, might be worth a call.

Good Luck

Last edited:
Mike McGlenn out of Bellingham. He was the surveyor of choice for Marine Services And Vessel Assist NW.

Thank you all!

Had survey and sea trial today. Steve Berg was the first choice but he is currently recovering from a medical issue so Cale Mathers performed survey.
He was very thorough and takes a lot of pictures. I won't have the report until next week but we discussed stuff as we went along. No major issues showed up in the hull but plenty of minor ones and 2-3 that require attention right away.
The engine survey was performed by Darren. He told me the company he was from but with so much going on all day I forgot to get his card and I just don't remember right now. He was also very thorough and took the time to show me the many minor issues with the engines, Genny, stabilizers etc. won't have oil samples back until next week. But all seem to be is great shape. The transmissions, shafts, struts, props and one rudder log are all new as of last fall due to contact with the earth. No fiberglass repair was noted on invoice except for rudder log replacement.
This is a 23 year old One owner boat that AYC is selling due to the owners age and health. It has only been in charter service since 2016. We will keep it in the fleet to help offset the costs of ownership and in 2020 or 2021 we will make our trip to SE Alaska.
Thank you all again for your help.

Probably Darren Pearson right? He is top notch on mechanics. I know him well. To the above mention of Mike McGlenn, he is retired for a couple of years now at least. Matt Harris is very good but booked way out.

Yes you are correct it was Darren Pearson.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom