View Single Post
Old 11-30-2018, 05:28 PM   #197
bligh
Guru

City: Santa Cruz, CA
Vessel Name: Concerto
Vessel Model: 1980 Cheoy Lee
Wow, what a interesting read. Everyone's comments have been really good and mostly consistent with each other.

Here are a few of my own that may or may not have already been mentioned.

One of the surveyors pointed out that some of the the through hulls are not accessible for inspection. This does not seem like the build quality you would expect in a $400k 30 ft boat.

I own a business. A while back , one of my employees did some faulty work on a customers home. The job was not a very high dollar job. But the faulty work ended up flooding the house and destroying the customers hardwood floors. I went to the customers house as soon as I could and personally verified that it was indeed my employees fault (which it was). I immediately took responsibility for it and proceeded to arrange and pay for all the necessary repairs in order to make things right. (the repairs cost approx 70x the amount of the initial sale we made to the customer.) The customer really appreciated how went above and beyond to make things right.. I'm sure I would have paid at least 2x more had I turned it into my insurance company and let them handle the issue. I certainly would have lost more business if I had that customer wandering around town (or the internet) saying how my compay F***ed him over and destroyed his house then forced him into a legal battle to recoup his loss. It just seems to me that Cutwater and the dealer dropped the ball with this customer from at least the delivery time forward. The perception of the brands Cutwater and Ranger are really on the ropes here (IE sell less boats in the future). I would not be surprised if this incident has long term consequences. Surely if Cutwater handled this different from the start (or even upon being notified of the sinking), they could have not only protected their brand, but made it stronger thorough out the boating community (IE sell more boats in the future). It seems to me the dealer and/or the builder builder missed out on several opportunities to keep the customer happy and protect their brand. The first missed opportunity was the lack of a thorough factory sea trial.

The third point i bring up is in response to those that think the 'buyer' was inexperienced or ignorant (which we dont really know): Ranger/Cutwater markets to this crowd. I would guess that the majority of tugnuts and cutwater owners have not likely owned a 30 foot or similarly sized power boat in the past. Assuming this is true (you may disagree), shouldn't cutwater/ranger be designing their boats so this sort of incident wont occur? I cant think of any happenstance other than a tidal wave or hurricane where my boat would 'sink' at the dock if it were brand new and up to standards of a similarly sized/price boats.

My last point is in regards to the comment here that his friends cutwater was already on its way back to the builder to have modifications made. If this is true, and the modification is paid for my the builder, I think any court will find it easy to prove the builder is at fault.

Best

Scott
bligh is offline   Reply With Quote