Old 11-30-2018, 08:13 AM   #179
sunchaser
Guru

City: Carefree, Arizona
Vessel Name: sunchaser V
Vessel Model: DeFever 48 (sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtree View Post
It seems to me that the best thing for the company would be a quick settlement, take back possession of the boat, require that the owner take down his web site and place a gag order on him, and make the whole thing go away. Then work to fix the other boats that are out there, and move on. $400k would be a cheap resolution cost.

And I expect they could settle for less than $400k anyway. The buyer would be facing a big expensive legal battle, as you say, with no assurance of getting anything. Accepting a quick $200k and getting on with your life would sound pretty good to me.
TT
What does the owner want is an interesting question. If he is truly self insured under Canadian law there are several potential outcomes. If he wants revenge there are other avenues. If he wants to be made whole there are steps that could have been taken absent the Internet. A lawsuit in US court is not without entanglements as previously noted.

So blog site postings aside, where this tragedy goes for resolution seems in the Owner's corner. And likely not known for our curiosities.
sunchaser is offline   Reply With Quote