View Single Post
Old 11-29-2018, 01:27 PM   #8
twistedtree
Guru

City: Vermont
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmarchand View Post
I think I understand how this system works: It uses wifi for voice, text and internet usage when a wifi hot spot is available, otherwise it uses one of the three cell providers noted above. I am a little surprised at the number of wifi hot spots. Does it possibly use Xfinity's system which seems to be quite wide spread in the US?

You are probably right, but I haven't ever seen mine connect to any wifi that I haven't explicitly connected to. And when using it as a wifi hotspot, it can't connect to another wifi service. So it's fully functional just using the cellular data and voice services, even if that's not it's first choice. But as I write this, I guess I don't know if it's using cellular data service for voice calls, or if it's using the voice service.

Quote:
I wonder how it makes calls from outside the US. Does it have reciprocal privileges with foreign providers? Or maybe international calls are only made from wifi hot spots.

International roaming calls are definitely not limited to wifi, so I think they must have reciprocal agreements. They would need them anyway for cellular data services, right?

Quote:
Does it support non voice devices like tablets? Our current Verizon plan covers our four devices: two phones and two tablets with a total of 6 GB per month of data. When I go into Fi's website and enter 4 people to correspond with 4 devices and 6 GB of data it shows $125 ex tax and fees as the monthly cost which is within a buck of my Verizon monthly bill.

I didn't try to set up service on more than one device. But when using that device as a hot spot, I don't think there are any limits on the number of other devices that you can connect. Some other services limit the number of hotspot clients, and/or limit data speed and quantity.

But I don't think that's what you are asking. I think you are looking at moving 4 devices from Verizon the FI. For domestic use, I expect the pricing is about the same. I wouldn't have signed up just for domestic service. To me, the big difference is in the international data roaming service.

Quote:
I guess it would be worth switching if it really did handle calls from outside the US through cellular carriers, but I don't see how they do that.

David

My guess would be that it's via reciprocal agreements just like Verizon and ATT. The only difference I could imagine is that they might be using data services only and using that for voice. But I expect the voice service would suffer if that were the case, and I didn't notice any issues.