CAV Filter adapter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

firstbase

Guru
Vessel Name
Black Eyed Susan
Vessel Make
Grand Banks 42' Classic
This is the subject of a few threads in the past but the links to vendors who sell the spin on adapter for the CAV filters on my FL 135's are all dead. Does anyone have a source and maybe a part number? Thanks in advance.

This is what is on my 135

Lehman fuel filter

Attachments

• F8EC61ED-3AAB-481D-AFDD-EA881489AC5F.jpg
    F8EC61ED-3AAB-481D-AFDD-EA881489AC5F.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 236
  • 00800A73-09BC-4BB2-9FF9-7845E28509DB.jpg
    00800A73-09BC-4BB2-9FF9-7845E28509DB.jpg
    135.4 KB · Views: 205
Greetings,
Mr. E. Are they still in business? The domain name "abcprecision.com" appears to be for sale. At least that's the message I got when I attempted to access the web site.

Mr. fb. Before converting to spin on filters it may be wise to check to see if the porosity you desire is available in screw-ons.

Last edited:
Throw the filters away and remote-mount a Racor. Commonality, ease of maintenance, all the good things.

The company that made them either went out of business or quit making the adapters. I used to see them listed on ebay.

Xsbank. You may be onto something. :) The KISS method applies here.

I got rid of the CAV filters and use a Racor 500FG mounted to the bulkhead. Way easier to change, and I can get filters anywhere.

Throw the filters away and remote-mount a Racor. Commonality, ease of maintenance, all the good things.

If you're going to spend money anyway, this is a good idea.

:thumb:

Correct me if wrong, but ABYC suggests that you can't remote a fuel pump and if you want your secondary filter between the lift pump and the injection pump, well you get the picture.

Why couldn't the Racor be mounted on the engine in place of the CAV filter assy?

Why couldn't the Racor be mounted on the engine in place of the CAV filter assy?

I was told by my mechanic that Racor are suction side only..... so it is downwind of the lift pump.

I was told by my mechanic that Racor are suction side only..... so it is downwind of the lift pump.

They should be suction side per Racor but in that vicinity it should be a simple fuel line reroute to accomplish that.

No filter downstream of the lift pump then?

I mounted a small spin on Racor with a bowl where the CAV filters used to be. It is on the pressure side just like that CAV filters.

This is the seventh round trip to FL from New Jersey and it has worked great no air leak worries or stripping plastic nuts, etc.....super easy to bleed.

Well, I guess I broke all the rules by installing a Wahlbro electric fuel pump and taking the fuel pump off my Lehman. The pump pulls the fuel through the Racor and into the engine mounted filters. It’s a snap to bleed, with a manual over ride switch, and as the Lehman filters are available at any auto parts store I change them every 100 hours.

YMMV I suppose...

Well, I guess I broke all the rules by installing a Wahlbro electric fuel pump and taking the fuel pump off my Lehman. The pump pulls the fuel through the Racor and into the engine mounted filters. It’s a snap to bleed, with a manual over ride switch, and as the Lehman filters are available at any auto parts store I change them every 100 hours.

YMMV I suppose...

Same thing I did on our Perkins........:thumb:

Greetings,
Mr. E. Are they still in business? The domain name "abcprecision.com" appears to be for sale. At least that's the message I got when I attempted to access the web site.

That's one of I think three I found in old threads and I found the same. Other two came up much the same.

Mr. fb. Before converting to spin on filters it may be wise to check to see if the porosity you desire is available in screw-ons.

Yes, will do. I know the CAV's are down there, 2-5 or 3-7 or some such. Seems no one REALLY knows.....

I have read your past posts on this and looked at following your suggestion but can't really find a good place to mount. No bulkhead close by, no nothing for mounting.

Put on 2 new DELPHI 296 secondary filters and use 2 micron Racors as primary filters and you should never need to change the secondaries again, ever unless they rust out. I don't like the idea of removing the secondary because what happens if the primary has a blowout? Next stop injection pump. Yes the mesh on the inlet of the lift pump will catch some of the junk but do you really want to depend on it as a last-chance filter? Pat yourself on the back for saving $20 when paying thousands to clean out the injection system.

No filter downstream of the lift pump then?

I mounted a small spin on Racor with a bowl where the CAV filters used to be. It is on the pressure side just like that CAV filters.

This is the seventh round trip to FL from New Jersey and it has worked great no air leak worries or stripping plastic nuts, etc.....super easy to bleed.

I thought I remembered someone posting that they were concerned about the vibration rating of the Racor. Not sure it could live happily mounted on the engine? Given your results I guess that's a non-issue.

The filter doesn't have to be close to the engine, just the last stop before the injection pump. As the Lehman doesn't suck much fuel, the Racor has no problem with a reverse flow. The only reason you worry about the flow normally is because the "turbine" part of the filter spins out water. If you have water at the final filtration stage you have much worse issues to deal with. Using a Racor here is ONLY a filter, not a water-remover.

I had nice lines made up a a hose shop so they screwed on and didn't need any clamps.

I have never been able to find a micron listing for the CAV filters but Bob Smith said they were in the 5 to 7 micton range.

Since these are secondary filters, they are under pressure from the lift pump, which is one of the reasons all of the plumbing and the filters are metal. While I like Racor filters for many reasons, they say...

"Install Turbine Series filter on
vacuum side of fuel transfer
pump for optimum water
separating efficiency."

and...

"Vacuum installations are recommended."

A failure of a gasket or fitting will result pressurized fuel leaking from he filter, possibly in a jet or stream.

Probably best not to modify this set up, or at least keep it all metal. You could choose an all-metal Racor sandwich type filter but then you are back to the original issue of replacement hassle.

https://www.parker.com/literature/Racor/12960_Rev_D_900FH_and_1000FH_Turbine_Filters.pdf

The CAV filters are under pressure too and they are full of o-rings; I found the Racor 500 less fussy than the CAVs. My Racor mod was done in 2005 and its still going strong. There is no issue with water in the secondaries as it should have been dealt with in the primaries. Water getting past the primaries would screw up the CAVs too so that doesn't wash. At least with the clear bowl you can see any water, assuming you ever go down there.

I did not mount the Racor on the engine because there is no specs on the vibration-resistance of the Racor. I did not want the old clam-crusher to shake it apart. The little rattle-pump I installed in a valved loop next to the filter made it very easy to bleed.

A much bigger problem than the final filtration is the 50 hour Simms pump oil change. A friend of mine who rebuilds Lehmans for a living says many owners neglect that maintenance and it has caused many Simms failures. Do yourself a favour, Simms owners, change the oil every 50 hours even if it is entirely a PITA.

Google cav fuel filter adaptor.
I bought 4 for $14 each today after reading these posts. They came from a vendor on eBay.
(Completetractor) vendor name

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom