Mariner Yachts

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tadhana

Guru
Vessel Name
Tadhana
Vessel Make
Helmsman 38 Pilothouse
Been in business for quite a while 37 Seville pilot houe is an interesting layout.

We took delivery in May 2009. *We live aboard. *We're still working, but cruise extensively. *But you are too kind *to Steve Smith

I see you have the "arch" *So yours may be newer than ours. *We are hull 16. *We planned to be a displacement boat so bought the 230 with is way more power than we need. *We cannot plane, (9.2 kt *11.4 gph at WOT) and at hull speed we are using less than half the available power. *We have *a washer dryer which is great as we live aboard full time. Marina laundries are a pain and are expensive . *Our life is here on the Chesapeake; we cruise so much *that our frequent *letters to the cruising guides resulted in *us being "hired" to write for 2 of them. *We write and are paid *in the pride of authorship in seeing our work in print. *But that is OK; our hope is to *make more cuisers understand the wonders of this place. *Wish we were out *your way. *I have 2 kids in seattle and know Scott at Waterline Boats.

I have hull #15 and I specified the arch. Have to say they did a great job installing it as it is very strudy and great for installing electronics. I also have the 230 HP Cummins and run at 1600 (2.4 gph) and am now pushing 800 hours on it We usually spend 3 months in the summer on it but this year we came home early for various reasons some of which is the weather. Summer missed us this year.

There is a 37 in this area where the owner had a 68 hp Lugger installed.* This actually cost him more than the Cummins.* He says he is quite satisfied with his choice.* I don't know his fuel economy but I'm sure it is better than ours

Curious where you put the washer/dryer? Also, when did you receive your boat off the ship? Mine came in Sept, 2009.*Smith promised a delivery at first for March, 2009 so it was 6 months late.

Scott just recently got in a new 37 with an arch last month. He was first promised it would be in for the Sept 10 boatshow, then the Jan 11 boatshow and then again for the May trawlerfest show. Smith missed them all so things have not changed. Boy, I have some stories about this guy that might be fun to share. He certainly turned what should have been a fun experience into a nightmare. In fact, I was thinking of naming my boat "Nightmare".

Ron

-- Edited by windmist on Sunday 14th of August 2011 11:10:25 AM

Ours was promissed for delivery *before the Annapolis boat show in 2008. *It got off the ship in march 2009. *We took delivery in May 2009. *The commissioning was not complete and the warranty work was not done, but after 2 months waiting we were tired of his lies. *And I run a boat yard so I said the hell with it and we left on a sea trial and did not come back for 2 months. *The washer *fits perfectly above the *door to the engine room. *Steve's crew made a huge production out of what was a simple job. *His initial exhaust for the dryer was the engine room ! *condensation and rust *started imeediately. *We took the boat back for warranty work after 2 months and he routed the hose 14 feet to the port engine louver. *I redid it and ran the hose 9 inches out the side of the pilot house. *We have 660 hours. *2 cummins warranty calls. *WE have 2 sever deck leaks damaging the teak panels but I cannot find them. *This winter I'll probably have to take some of the cabin panelling off and re do it. *Steve could *have had two avid mariner sales people out there working for him; the boat attracts a lot of attention. *People love it, but we steer them away from Island Yacht brokers.

Thanks for the info on the washer/dryer. I would have never thought of putting a unit there. I guess you have a little cave to crawl through to get to the engine room?

I had quite a few warrenty problems also but usually had no problem getting them looked at. I think it was because of the local dealer who just took care of them and then tried to get the money from Smith. My biggest problem was when I filled the fuel tanks the first time. After the fill, I went down into the engine room for some reason and noticed diesel fuel flowing into the sump. I quickly turned off the bilge pumps and headed home. After contacting Island Yacht Brokers and having them blame me for doing something, investigation found that someone at the factory had over drilled a 1 1/2" hole saw to far in and it penetrated the fuel tank right at the top. After all the panels where removed and the fuel tank was fully exposed we found another hole at the forward end that was caused by the same way but this one was known to have happen. They tried to plug it by putting a handful of resin into the space between the hole and the frame. This fix would have lasted until the warrenty ran out and I would have been chasing a diesel leak forever. Smith did finally agreed to fix the problem and it was done right but cost them over $5000.

I also have lots of people checking the boat out and asking what make it is. I usually don't tell people of the problems I have had as I don't want to lose business for my local dealer, Waterline Boats, as they are a good bunch there. I know Scott is as fustrated as anyone with his dealings with Steve Smith.

By the way, the new 2012 Seville 37 that's for sale at Waterline is on Yachtworld and there are a lot of pictures especially of the arch.

Ron

tadhana wrote:
*People love it, but we steer them away from Island Yacht brokers.
*I visited Island Yacht Brokers and talked with him about his Mariner Yachts.* They were just talking about bringin out the Seville line with a pilot house model.* It sounded interesting.* However, When they showed us the Mariners the boats were scattered in the Marina.* The boats were not complete, and there was no one working on any of them. The whole thing seemed disorganized.* I just did not get a good feeling with allot of talk and little action going on.

We got a call while we were there and had to turn around to drive all night to a funeral of an old friend.* My wife and I discussed it on the way home, and decided we were just not comfortable with their set up.

The 37 pilot house is a unique set up.* It seems every inch is used.* The day head is unique.

Some good news is on its way.

Stay tuned: A press release is forthcoming! Come see us at the Boats Afloat show. I will be posting the press release after it is released a little later this week.

-- Edited by dw8928 on Tuesday 6th of September 2011 10:22:04 PM

dw8928 wrote:
Stay tuned: A press release is forthcoming! Come see us at the Boats Afloat show. I will be posting the press release after it is released a little later this week.

-- Edited by dw8928 on Tuesday 6th of September 2011 10:22:04 PM
*Your presence here is beginning to look way too much like a bad used car commercial.

HELMSMAN TRAWLERS ANNOUNCES ITS LINE OF TRAWLER YACHTS

HELMSMAN TRAWLERS announces its line of proven, expertly-crafted mid-size trawlers ranging from 37 to 42 feet. These sturdy trawlers are designed for cruising couples and families wanting top quality, gorgeous craftsmanship, roomy interiors, and efficient, stable performance underway all at a great price. Some Helmsman models succeed boats previously sold in regions of the U.S. under a different brand name Helmsman launches a new brand name, a new marketing and sales program, and new designs in the North American trawler market. Helmsmans factory in mainland China offers a wide range of options and customizations, and its skilled craftsman are experienced in building these fine yachts. Helmsman models include: 37 Express Trawler, 37 Sedan Trawler, 38 Pilothouse Trawler, 38 Double Cabin Trawler and 42 Cruiser. Practically sized, pleasingly designed, and prudently efficient, Helmsman Trawlers are the right boats for the times.

Helmsman Trawlers currently include special purchase incentives.

Waterline Boats, Seattle, is the Pacific Northwest Dealer for Helmsman Trawlers. Visit Waterline Boats at 2046 Westlake Avenue N Suite 203 or call 206.282.0110 to learn more about the line of Helmsman Trawlers. Or visit helmsmantrawlers.com. (website goes live Monday)

Is Steve Smith still involved or did you buy him out?

Ron

Call Waterline please.

It is not an evasive salesman. *You have no possible concept of what *mariner owneres have had to deal with. *The past management were sleazy lying cheats, but otherwise *were untrustworthy and unreliable. *The boats deserve better representation. *I hope this new company *can do the *product justice.

I was just at the Seattle boat show and meet Dave White and got further details. It looks like Steve Smith of Island Yacht Brokers in Chester, MD has lost the rights to be the distributor of Mariner Yachts. YEAH!!! A new company, name escapes me, made up of Dave and Scott and maybe others has been formed to be the North America distributor. Hopefully having Steve Smith out of the picture will have a positive affect on this fine yacht.

Ron

I arrived in this forum precisely because I became aware that some members had issues with the prior distributor. I am not a broker or dealer (for now anyway) but I am the distributor along with Scott @ Waterline and I am responsible for the factory relationship. I am also the blunt end of the stick making sure the former distributor goes into the fog and never returns. (LOL) The boats are still from the same solid Canadian boat-builder-designer trained Chinese factory. You are welcome to rebrand as Helmsman if you like.

(I am a little gun-shy now about being perceived as "selling". So I hope this is taken as intended. Whereas the prior distributor was inaccessible and would not let people know anything about the factory, we are quite accessible! So if you want to know more about the boat you own from our factory, let me know.)

dw8928 wrote:
I arrived in this forum precisely because I became aware that some members had issues with the prior distributor. I am not a broker or dealer (for now anyway) but I am the distributor along with Scott @ Waterline and I am responsible for the factory relationship. I am also the blunt end of the stick making sure the former distributor goes into the fog and never returns. (LOL) The boats are still from the same solid Canadian boat-builder-designer trained Chinese factory. You are welcome to rebrand as Helmsman if you like.

(I am a little gun-shy now about being perceived as "selling". So I hope this is taken as intended. Whereas the prior distributor was inaccessible and would not let people know anything about the factory, we are quite accessible! So if you want to know more about the boat you own from our factory, let me know.)
Really??? Exit stage left. This site was intended for boaters to speak with boaters about boating issues. It was not intended as a forum for you or anyone else to further your career. Move on.*

Carey, Do you own one of the boats mentioned in this thread?

-- Edited by dw8928 on Thursday 22nd of September 2011 08:24:49 PM

Carey Wrote:
Really??? Exit stage left. This site was intended for boaters to speak with boaters about boating issues. It was not intended as a forum for you or anyone else to further your career. Move on.

I'm not really sure what your problem is here. This thread started with big complaints about the builder of the Mariner yachts and how those of us who had to deal with this cheat and liar had a pretty bad time. While the thread progressed, we found that Steve Smith, the builder, has been eased out of the distributorship by information provided by Dave. I for one, appreciated this information. The fact that you have a problem with someone who is involved with this change and contributing the information to this thread just confuses me.

Now if there are rules on this forum about the builder or distributors or even sales people contributing information about their products, be they Selenes, Krogans, Nordhavns or Mariners let me know and I will shut my mouth. I think Dave was real careful about not giving a sales pitch. If he had done that, you may have a bitch coming.

Thanks,
Ron

As a Mariner owner and with no connection to the builder, I was *very interested to hear the report of the change of leadership. *For me this is what the forum is supposed to do.

As a prospective buyer of a Mariner 37 I have been soaking up information wherever I can. Having been on other boards/sites, etc. I understand the tenuous relationship when a person with commercial interests is in a group. It can be beneficial for all parties (buyers/sellers/users) to have a forum where discussions (civil in tone) can be had. Hopefully both parties will gain additional information and knowledge that will help them.
I would object (strenuously) if this were used for direct sales contact purposes. Selling under the guise of resesarch is not only unethical, but illegal as well in several states. (My day job is doing market research for a major corporation.) As long as any manufacturer, broker, etc. does not violate this code, then they should be allowed to listen in and give advice when possible.

Was able to see *the new boat in Seattle a couple of weeks ago. *It is very nice and more refined. As live aboards on our 37 we have a *lot of experience with this boat. We are not afariad *to go out in rough weather *that keeps others in harbour. *We have been averaging 250 engine hours and 70+ nights at anchor every year. *If *you have questions, feel free to contact us.

Thanks for the offer. I may take you up on it. (Right now I am trying to found out its stability. I realize that it will be different in a trawler than a sailboat, but not certain to what degree.)
As for a "new" boat, personally I hear the phrase "Release 1.0" and all the hassle that comes with breaking in a new boat.

What is *it about thee stability that you are concerned about? *Certainly coming from a boat with a heavy lead keel you are used to concerns about heeling. *But without mast or sails, you have far less heeling force. *There are boats like this *cruisng the world perfectly safely. *You do learn *to handle the boat a bit differently at times. *I've designed and built a fair number of sailboats. *Owned sailboats for about 50 years. *Would take this boat anywhere *along hte coast or to the islands. *Not an ocean crossing boat as built. *The layout of the enine room would tak a bit of effort to find space for stabilisers, but she does not *need them unless you are doing a lot of offshore work. *All in all she is a fairly low profile boat compared to many trawlers of this size.

Heeling is perhaps a more accurate term that I should use. Moving from a displacement to semi-displacement hull is going to involve a learning curve. Our travels are going to be limited to The Loop and perhaps a run to the Bahamas.
Thanks for the reply. It is another data point in my trying to learn about Mariners. I've read others have taken theirs from Seattle to Alaska and had no issues.
How is the sound level within the cabin while it is running, or when the generator is on? My only frame of reference is my tiny 1-cylinder Yanmar which is not sound proofed.

I am a sailor! *I have a sailboat. *I live on a trawler andg o everywhere. *The transition is easy! *Enjoy!

We have a 2008 Seville 37, now Helmsman 38. Purchased from Paul at Island Yacht Brokers. The purchase experience and service at the time were fine. Only real issue is lack of owner's manual. Right now I am burning fuel from port tank much faster than starboard tank. I remember Steve junior telling me about the fuel return valve management but did not take notes. Be nice to have something to reference. I have had some communication with Waterline Boats, them seem committed to doing a better job supporting owners.

Cary I agree that the forum should be "boaters to speak with boaters about boating issues".

However a member should be able to express themselves about a product and exchange information for the benefit of others. But when the purpose of a thread is clearly to sell stuff it definitely should'nt be allowed.

This dw8928 guy is'nt as bad as Yachtbroker guy Mike. So if dw8928 is an outlaw Yachtbroker is way out of line. I wish the management would just click these guys off but we have a classified section and to add a commercial section would seem to solve the problem. But then if the intent of a poster is to sell stuff then he would'nt post where his drivel won't be viewed by a maximum number so if we had a commercial section they'd just post in the general section anyway and the administrators would be very busy moving the sales posts to the commercial side .....and that would'nt work for long. So until the management starts spit'in these guys out we're stuck with them.

Just say no to ad copy

Back
Top Bottom