Immersion suit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nocanvas

Vessel Name
Navigator
Vessel Make
Mariner/Helmsman 38
Im heading out this morning to look at an immersion suit someone bought and never used. I get that they can get brittle, zippers with poor stitching other than size or fit what else is recommend to consider prior to purchase. I could easily buy new but heck if there's a good deal why not take it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im heading out this morning to look at an immersion suite someone bought and never used. I get that they can get brittle, zippers with poor stitching other than size or fit what else is recommend to consider prior to purchase. I could easily buy new but heck if there's a good deal why not take it.

never mind bought new ~ done

Ah, a SUIT..... ...... A poopie suit as it is lovingly called in some circles.

If this ever comes up again, here are couple of things about survival suits to think about when buying used.

1: Zippers: We waxed our zippers every year in Alaska. The zippers, if neglected, will jam and if your zipper won't function, you're dead. So, make sure to give it a dry run. Actually put it on, don't just work the zipper without tension on it.

2: There are different types of gumby suits, some have boots built in and gloves that break at the wrists so your hands can be free. We called these "captain" suits. We were told that they were designed because the captain would never put on a floppy suit before the boat went down because he was usually trying to save the boat. If you don't have a captain's suit, put a couple of plastic shopping bags in the hood of your suit when you stow it. If you have to use it, slip the bags over your shoes so they can slide through the legs. If you don't you have to take your shoes off or you can't get the suit on. Dragging yourself onto a rocky shore with no shoes after abandoning ship is a definite factor against survival.

3: Put them on before the boat sinks. I know this sounds obvious, but a lot of crew waited too long and didn't factor into the equation that boats don't go down in a nice, linear sink. She can slowly take on water for quite some time, and then 50% of the boat can suddenly disappear in a few moments. Put the suit on before you think you need to.

If you have access to a swimming pool, try putting on your suit in the water. It can be done, but it's ridiculously hard. Doing it in waves or very cold water would be almost impossible.

Luck!

Dave

Good points. My wife would certainly agree with you.

We were going east in the Strait of Juan the Fuca. Visibility about 200 yards and wind was picking up. Following seas were building and the boat (45' Tolly) wanted to broach. And I knew there were freighters all around us (radar but no AIS back then). So I was busy.

Looking over at my wife, I had to laugh. She wore triple protection - an inflatable life vest, a foam/non inflatable life vest and the immersion suit ready to zip over all that. She would certainly have floated very high in the water but might not have been able to breathe once the inflatable vest went off.

Nocanvas,

Did you find a bargain on the suits? Would love to hear more as we deliberated adding a set aboard IRENE.

THANK YOU

Nocanvas,

Did you find a bargain on the suits? Would love to hear more as we deliberated adding a set aboard IRENE.

THANK YOU

I found a guy who is selling a pile of them from his garage send me your email address and I will share his phone number.

Nocanvas,

THANK YOU

100 bucks each and they are like new very large , large and smalls I needed an intermediate for my wife he didn't have.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom