View Single Post
Old 11-23-2018, 10:22 AM   #7
dhays
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Frankly, I don't believe claims that are made without evidence. The 95% success rate was made by the folks that patented the "boarding glasses" over 10 years ago. I don't think that I've ever seen the actual studies that support it.

They are right in that motion sickness is usually caused (not all the time) by the brains inability to integrate mismatching inputs. Your inner ear is telling you one thing while your visual system is telling you another. There are some folks that will get motion sick simply because of over stimulation of the inner ear.

The idea is that the glasses give you an artificial horizon and thereby the motion you are experiencing is matching your visual experience. All well and good, but if that was 95% effective, then anyone on your boat, car, or plane would simply need to be able to sit on the flybridge or pilothouse to get the visual view of the horizon to be "cured" of motion sickness. Furthermore, the claim is that they only need to do that for 10-15 minutes and then they won't get motion sick.

However, the company has a website and makes nifty YouTube videos, so it HAS to be true. Right?

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote