Water potable epoxy coatings

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pack Mule

TF Site Team
Vessel Name
Slo-Poke
Vessel Make
Jorgensen custom 44
Does anybody know of a brand of epoxy coating for fiberglass that would be water potable ?

May I ask what usage you plan? Pipe repair or tank internal coating.
Epoxy contains bisphenol, like a lot of plastic box used for food. However it has been shown that bisphenol are not so safe and now less used. So I guess it will mainly depend on how much epoxy is in contact with water...

L

May I ask what usage you plan? Pipe repair or tank internal coating.
Epoxy contains bisphenol, like a lot of plastic box used for food. However it has been shown that bisphenol are not so safe and now less used. So I guess it will mainly depend on how much epoxy is in contact with water...

L
Thinking about coating the inside of my water tanks. They are original and built into the boat . They need to be resealed with something .

Last edited:
Personally I would not do this. Epoxy has been used to coat interior of food cans and it has been shown that bisphenol migrate into water (example plastic bottle) and are endocrine disruptor (not sure if this is the right term in English). Nowadays they try to avoid using this in food container (at least in Canada), and it is forbidden for babies food containers.
Maybe a polyurethane coating would be more suitable (used often as finish for kitchen countertop or butcher block) but I am not an expert.

L

Thanks Lou , I talked with ecopoxy yesterday and it sounded like they have the right product but they have a 3gallon minimum purchase . It’s about $135 gallon .I will try the others tomorrow.

I looked into this some time ago and could find nothing suitable. There are many epoxy based tank coatings that are approved for such, but only in quite large sizes (like 3000 gallons and up). The surface/volume ratio of such a tank is much different than a 30 gallon tank. My tanks were coated with an epoxy that was said to be ok, but impart a definite taste to the water unless turned very frequently. Before you do it, coat a small tank or jar, put some water in there and leave it a week, then give it a taste test.

If you find something that works, please let me know, I'd love to reseal my tanks.

What does a new builder use if they are building the tanks in? Do they just use gel coat?

Last edited:
Have you searched for a flexible tank that might be safer to drink month old water from?

Have you searched for a flexible tank that might be safer to drink month old water from?
Yes I’ve looked at flexible tanks also . If my tanks aren’t too bad I was hoping I could restore them with something. Whatever is on the inside now is cracking and flaking off.

If epoxy is not a good choice has anyone tried anything else like acrylic latex or something water soluble?

I am in the drinking water tank business and specifically coating tanks.
Raven Lining systems sells a product we use call Aquatapoxy A61 which is certified for use as a drinking water tank product.
It is accepted by all the health departments for direct use in drinking water.
Cures very fast and pretty easy to use. I little fussy to apply.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom