Review - Onekama Marine - Michigan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Slider

I am looking to the community for any comments they might have on Onekama Marine in Michigan.

I am looking to get structural work done there and I am canvasing on the off chance that someone here has had work done there.

K/r.

Slider

During our three years there, I don't recall any structural work being done on boats. It is a fairly small yard. If you need structural work and that is a rather vague term, you may need to take it to one of the larger yards in Muskegon or Charlevoix or somewhere else.

About 10 miles to the north of Onekama is Arcadia Marine and I believe they do structural type work but they don't have a marina.

Last edited:
The BBB reviews are very easy to manipulate so take them with a grain of salt.

Tiara Yachts are built in Holland Michigan. Lots of retired talent in that area. Holland Marine boatyard might be a possibility for structural work. Northport, Michigan has a very competent repair cadre, but it's in a high dollar area with virtually no slips. Irish in Charlevoix is a full service operation. So is Sengs Marine in Manistee, Michigan. Another good bet would be Bay Marine in Sturgeon Bay, Wisconsin. Very experienced with larger boat repairs and there are multiple marina options in Sturgeon Bay. Not inexpensive, but then no place on Lake Michigan is a low cost option when it comes to slips. That said, boat size makes a difference. Smaller is easier.

What size boat and what sort of repair? Are you wanting to just leave the boat at the repair facility and then take it somewhere else for a "seasonal" summer slip....or put it in the water and take off cruising for the summer? Makes a difference because some places have multiyear waiting lists for a permanent summer (seasonal) slip. Big repair places like Muskegan or Sturgeon Bay and maybe Sengs can probably accommodate you with a slip after the repair is finished.

Last edited:
The BBB reviews are very easy to manipulate so take them with a grain of salt.

Ditto that. My 1st hand experience as a service business owner revealed that the BBB is about better business primarily for them. You pay for membership, you get a better rating as your membership costs increase.

Great advice Rufus. I will take that into consideration for sure. The boat is 40' and requires fly-bridge and sundeck decking repair. Your comments are valuable and will gives me a better focus.

K/r.

Slider

Regarding Onekama Marine.

Did you have the work done or are you still thinking about it?

Back
Top Bottom