CG Documentation question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ancora

Guru
Is the CG going to send out the annual documentation notices or do we have to apply on line?

Is the CG going to send out the annual documentation notices or do we have to apply on line?
I recieved my application in the mail, but, requested and paid, with credit card, for the new certificate online. The new one arrived in about 10 days.

Renewal notices are issued early. If one quickly responds, the period covered may be reduced. Mine expires in December, and when I renewed shortly after the notice, the documentation was only extended to the following October. :mad: Lesson: delay renewal until the month before expiration.

I got my renewal notice in the mail in the mid-October for mine expiring Nov. 30. I renewed online in a simple process and got my doc about a week ago. I believe that if you renew more than 30 days in advance of your expiration, it resets your renewal date. It's there on the website, IIRC.

You are responsible for renewing on time even if you don’t get the renewal form in the mail. If you are late there is a fine. So I set an event in my smartphone for a yearly reminder to renew the documentation. It is easy to renew online.

I got my renewal notice in the mail in the mid-October for mine expiring Nov. 30. I renewed online in a simple process and got my doc about a week ago. I believe that if you renew more than 30 days in advance of your expiration, it resets your renewal date. It's there on the website, IIRC.

Yeah, pay early and the government will cheat you. What a great business model :ermm:

It's been posted here (and lots of places) before, but for anyone new...

Do NOT send any money to third-party renewal services!!

They send very official-looking letters trying to entice you to overpay for a service you can do yourself with a few clicks on line.

The Coast Guard uses .mil domains, and government payment sites end in .gov.

A site with any other domain is somewhere between misleading and outright fraud.

I had not received "Official" notification. But one of the scam services showed up.

Prompted me to go online to the Government site and pay my $26, as I have done in the past. That has been a month ago, have never received my new documentation.

Any experience with following up on status?

Did you get an email verification from notification@pay.gov?

Yes I did.

Keep checking the mailbox, nothing in the Postal mail yet.

I was thinking expiration was a year from when I bought the boat, turns out current registration is good until end of Dec.

Based on what I read above, I may have lost a month. Maybe that's why it has not shown up yet.

Thanks

Ordered my renewal through the gov't site on Nov 8. Was travelling and it was in my mailbox when I returned on the 17th.

Last year my renewed documentation document was stolen from my mailbox. (Thief had USPO master keys to access.) The USCG documentation center quickly sent another upon my request.

This was our experience as well when we got our renewal notice in February, promptly sent it back in, and lost a month we had already paid for! :confused:

Follow up on my documentation question.

Hearing the responses of the relatively quick turn around, decided to call this morning.

The Officer I spoke with was very helpful.

Confirmed that payment had been received and was in the system.

She wasn't sure why mine had not been mailed yet, but said she would contact the department make sure it was going out.

All in all, feel better. Even though I am not close to expiration, I do feel better it is in process.

We have had our paper work in for a name change since July 10, not done yet

I still haven't received my renewal yet either.....

Typically I have received notice, but one year I did not and by the time I noticed I had to pay a late fee. Now I mark it on the calendar.

Bill & Judy
Double-Wide

I always just get on line the month my documentation is due and renew. I don't wait for a notice.....

Look what a search for "National Vessel Documentation Center" turns up. The top two are the fake rip off artists so, if you click one of those, you'll be taken to a site that does not make it clear that you are not dealing directly with the government. They have purchased the top search result positions. Be sure you see "USCG" and "gov" in the site address.

Attachments

• NVDC.jpg
    NVDC.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 15
Be sure you see "USCG" and "gov" in the site address.

Actually, a site can put whatever they want in the host and domain name.

The top-level domain, however, will tell you more. Look for site addresses which END in .mil or .gov.

Update - just got mine.

Took a while - but the pay renewal online ($26) works...

Back
Top Bottom