Material for nameboards

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Arthurc

Guru
Vessel Name
Sea Bear
Vessel Make
Kadey-Krogen 54
I need to increase the size of my name boards that sit on top of my pilot house and want to do them in white by painting them in awlgrip. What material would you recommend, I’m assuming wood but teak is pretty oily, not sure if there are better woods for that application as the boards will be completely painted.

Thoughts?
AC

Hi,

Pinus Sylvestris or Pinus Radiata, Both types of weather durability are the same as teak class 1 / EN350 and of course they are even better when you paint.

NBs

If painting Could us plain old marine plywood A/A sides and edge band it. Could edge band it with teak. Glue the edge banding on with Gorilla glue. White nameboard with varnished teak trim might look pretty spiffy.

With starboard you can have boatoutfitters.com make them for you. Never need refinishing.

If you paint it no need for nice expensive wood. Marine plywood, fully sealed with epoxy and painted.
Cheap and easy.

L

How about black plastic letters screwed onto white starboard?

I used black starboard with white vinyl letters on black plexiglass screwed to the starboard.

First go was regular plexiglass spray painted flat black because I had both handy.

Of course you can make them look silly and very incorrect like Cutwater boats or Ranger tugs and use Red/green plexiglass. :)

Attachments

• KIMG0155.jpg
    KIMG0155.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 40
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom