Electrical problems with an M-25-XPB Universal engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lee Lette

Towed the boat 2,300 miles. Put it in the water. It started right up, no signed of problems. 20 minute run to slip. Shut off engine. Replaced two tired deep cycle batteries with two new deep cycle batteries. In doing so, I accidentily touched positive lead to negative terminal on other battery. Tripped blue sea systems 7101 circuit breaker. Reset breaker. New batteries seem to be good. Have maintained old and new batteries with promariner pro sport 20 battery charger. With ignition switch on, And pre heat button depressed, I don’t have fuel lift pump, or starter when depressed. Throttle is in neutral. Also, I seem to have low voltage, 11.5 in the system. Lights for compass, fuel gauge are on all the time. Also, depth sounder operating all the time, and fuel gauge is reading and water temperature is pegged all the way over to the right. All this with perko duel battery bank switch turned off. This is a M-25-XPB universal engine in my Albin 25.

Welcome Lee. I have no ideas as to your trouble, but am waiting for the smart TF folks to chime in. Good luck.

A Poltergeist like this is usually due to an open ground shared by several items. I would start with a DMM with a really long black lead to a battery NEG post.

A disconnected negative wire can make everything act strange. Make sure you connected everything when you changed the batteries. This happened on a friends boat this summer and found a negative wire he forgot behind and under a new battery.

Definitely check grounds first. I install my batteries with a smear of dielectric grease to prevent corrosion. Tight, very clean connections.

You may also have some other fuse or breaker that went when the battery was shorted.

I just did that, I thought it was my fuel bank battery switch. I replaced it. No luck. I have a lead on an electrician. Waiting for a call back. I am stuck here in Rockport, Texas. Still a lot of confusion here. Folks don’t know weather businesses have reopened, moved, or renamed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom