Dinghy Sling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaBreeze

Vessel Name
SeaShell
Vessel Make
1974 Marine Trader 34 Sedan
I ran across an interesting dingy management system online and was curious if anyone has had any experience with it? It is called the "Dinghy Sling". The concept is great - just wondering if it works as well as claimed? It is essentially a large cargo net made of webbing that wraps around the dinghy and secures it against the stern on your platform.

I’ve seen it used, usually on sailboats, and it seems to work well. I’ve also seen folks do something similar with a simple collection of lines or webbing. I’d probably just buy some webbing and make up something yourself to try it out. If you end up liking how it works but want a more refined solution, then you can buy the Dinghy Sling.

Dinghy Sling/Cargo Net

We use one to hold our inflatable on the swim platform of our Camano. It's very secure, and relatively easy to load and unload the dinghy. We're happy with it.

Dave

Attachments

• 20180626_121125.jpg
    20180626_121125.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 371
nussbda - that's exactly what we have in mind. Is your dinghy a rib or inflatable bottom? Is it easy to raise and lower? I'll be singlehanding a good bit and will need to manage it by myself.

It's a West Marine roll up, but I think it would work fine with a blow up floor.

The dinghy is a roll up, not a rib. No issue raising and lowering it single handed.

I put a 9' inflatable on the back of our Troll. I first had it snugged up against the transom. I was easy to pull one side up on the swim step, then pull the other side up snug on the back with a line tied to it. Easy and quick. BUT I did not like losing the access across and use of the swim step. So I mounted some cleats to the step and corresponding hooks on the dink, with a couple standoffs from the stern. Just as easy to pull up but keep use of the swim step. Makes it way easier for dogs and some people to access.

toni

I think Flywright uses or used to use something similar.

I really like this idea. It seems like what i want and need as a single hander with a smallish trawler.

Their website is quite informative
Home of the Dinghy Sling Davit System

Questions:

Has anyone had experience with a Walker Bay 10 (hard dinghy) with this sling?

Also, is this all you need? Or do other davits, dinghy tiedowns need to be installed?

Thanks.

Tim

I haven't tried a rigid dink, but I think it would work as long as you don't mind the rub tail on the swim platform. The net came with all the needed straps. They just attached to our existing cleats.

Dave

KokopelliTim
I ran across a picture of a walker bay in the Dinghy Sling so it must work. I think I saw it in the photos section on their website. I think I am going to use this system on SeaShell.

I do exactly what is shown in the Camo image with 2 1/4" double-braided lines.

I tie a line to each cleat

Tip up the dinghy onto the swim platform.

I run the line through a lower D ring, then cross the lines in the back while running the lines to the opposite sides.

On the opposite side they run through an upper D ring, then over the top of the upper tube and are tied to cleats just inside the transom.

Admittedly, I can get onto the swim platform and walk behind my dinghy when it's tipped up on my swim platform. That is really the key. It is possible, but trickier if you can't.

I bought a cargo net online (twice) for $50. The first one I had didn't stand up well to the UV after 1-2 years. The second one I sprayed with UV protectant. It was a very affordable, practical and nautical looking solution, IMO. It was very secure but sometimes took a little net adjustment that was awkward in rough conditions. I always took the OB off.

I used it with my 9.5 Achilles after the canvas strap holding the D rings rotted but have it in storage at the present time. It's not needed for my 11' PVC that now has a Garhauer lifting davit and strong painters.

It also came in handy when corralling the local mermaids.

Attachments

• FlyWright net.jpg
    FlyWright net.jpg
    94.3 KB · Views: 176
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom