View Single Post
Old 11-11-2018, 02:54 AM   #20
twistedtree
Guru

City: Vermont
Best Anchor Watch/Alert/Alarms apps?

Lots of good solutions, clearly. Just to add to the mix, I used a combination of Coastal Explorer boundary circles, and Maretron’s Anchor alarm. Both allow you to adjust the location of the anchor, which it seems is a common complaint with some other alarms. And of course the alarm radius can be adjusted too.

When scouting out a place to anchor, I create an anchor circle with CE and place it in the approximate location where I want to anchor. That provides a bit of pre-clearance that there is enough room, depth, etc.

Then as I approach the final anchor spot, I lower the anchor to within about 10’ of the bottom. When I am in my final location, I lower the rest of the way and center the boundary circle on the boat right when the anchor touches down. Then I also enable the Maretron alarm which picks up the current location.

I like CE because it continues to draw my track so I can see how the boat is swinging, and if I am dragging. And I like Maretron because it’s linked to the speakers in the pilot house and when the alarm goes off it will wake the dead.

Last, I use a screen mirroring program on an iPad to see what’s on the Maretron anchor watch screen. It has the anchor circle, of course, but also weather and depth. I keep that bedside so with a quick glance I can see how we are doing without waking up too much.

It has worked well, but there are many, many ways to solve the problem.