Old 11-08-2018, 02:47 PM   #9
koliver
TF Site Team

City: Saltspring Island
Vessel Name: Retreat
Vessel Model: C&L 44
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westiculo View Post
I recently refinished a bunch of the interior teak. Some of it had water stains which had to be sanded down, while most was still in good shape. I found the best way to match color was to apply the interlux clear wood sealer on any areas that had to be sanded down to bare teak. I had tried a variety of stains to match the reddish tint of the original finish, but the wood sealer is by-far the best. It seems to soak into the wood a tiny bit, causing the wood to turn a bit redder to match the original finish seen everywhere else.

After hitting the bare areas with sealer, everything was quickly abraded with 220 grit and treated to the varathane water-based satin. The finish looks amazing, it's durable enough for inside the boat, it matches the original finish well, and it has virtually no smell and dries incredibly quickly. It's a downright pleasure to apply this stuff - water based polyurethanes have really come a long way in the last few years.

Whatever you choose, make sure you test it out a bit.
I tried Varathane water base alongside Helmsman oil base a few years ago. I divided the area to be coated down the middle, one on teh Stb side, the other on Port.
The water base gave a very hard finish, was easier to clean up, but after only one winter, the finish was badly water marked, mostly from condensation from the nearby windows, and looked awful. Due to the hardness, it was difficult to recover from this error. Now I won't use any water based finishes, until somehow I become convinced they are past this characteristic.
I hope the Varathanes have been re-formulated, but haven't heard or seen any evidence of that occurring.