Greetings from Panama!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

saboga

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Sunset
Vessel Make
Offshore 48 Yachtfisher
We are making a slow transition from sail to power, and from Panama back to the Pacific Northwest in the next year. We have loved having our sailboat down here with us for the 6 years we have been here, but this is mostly a powerboat area, except for the sailboats transiting the canal.

Getting work done on our boat here is tough. It's hard to find people who know what they are doing. We have also discovered that 90% of the time we are motoring, not sailing, and as we are getting older, the appeal of cranking winches and zipping sail covers has waned a bit.

So, our next adventure is to buy a live-aboard sized trawler or the like and enjoy the Puget Sound, the San Juan Islands, and then make the trip up to Alaska in a few years.

We just got back from a trip to the PNW area to check out boats and marinas, etc, and we were just blown away! The number of marinas, the number of boats, and the availability of skilled workers to do absolutely anything you want was very eye opening! Compared to what we have in Panama, it was like we had died and gone to boating heaven!

Anyway, we found a 1988 48' Offshore Yachtfisher for sale in Port Townsend, and it looks like that will be our next boat. It was a for-sale-by-owner we found just by walking the docks. Had a sea trial, and had the boat surveyed and the engines and transmissions analyzed, and everything looks good!

Well, as good as you can expect in a 30-year-old boat! There's an issue with the forward shower pan leaking and some soft wood as a result, but that's about it. Let the boat projects begin!

Welcome aboard

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new boat.

Thanks for the welcome. So, if anyone is looking for a nice 38' sailboat in the Pearl Islands, you know who to call! :)

We sailed her down here from Alabama, but I'm not interested in sailing her back.

I have Great memories of going through the PC when I was younger. Looking forward to seeing some pics of your cruising grounds if you are so inclined.

I have Great memories of going through the PC when I was younger. Looking forward to seeing some pics of your cruising grounds if you are so inclined.

I'll see what I can dig up!

Back
Top Bottom