The Last Manatee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Now that is a cool steadying sail!

Yeah. I don’t often take pics of others boats but I took that pic cos I was fascinated by the dinghy rigid tow set up. You don’t see that everyday.

After looping 29 times I wonder if they might be getting dizzy? Just wondering. No offense intended.

That rigid dinghy hitch has its function also. Ted set up the dinghy to push the Manatee if anything should happen to the main. It has a huge set of bull bars on the bow (see photo) for pushing, and among it’s electronic equipment is an integrated auto-pilot.

Attachments

• 7FACB0DA-8472-4A86-BD31-7DD3262FB039.jpg
    7FACB0DA-8472-4A86-BD31-7DD3262FB039.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 109
Mango Mama is not for sale,,,is it??? Almost bought her 4 1/2 years ago but missed out so we bought VELVET now SILENT FAITH......prepping her for future sale....Larry, next time your in stuart stop by......craig

Waterline length is 34’. Maybe 7.5 knots

My boat has a 34 waterline and is obnoxious above 6.5 knots.

I run at about 6.0 to 6.3 and get between 3.3 and 3.5 NMPG.

At 7.5, I throw a wake that rocks boats and marinas, and increases fuel consumption by 30 to 40 percent I am guessing.

Guess people run that fast as plenty of trawlers do toss a pretty good wake.

Speed and hull shape. Our Manatee cruises at 7.5 burning 1 1/4 GPH with the generator and a wake that is a big disappointment to jet skiers.

Last edited:
Mango Mama is not for sale,,,is it??? Almost bought her 4 1/2 years ago but missed out so we bought VELVET now SILENT FAITH......prepping her for future sale....Larry, next time your in stuart stop by......craig

No. I misunderstood something someone wrote at the beginning of the thread.

..Larry, next time your in stuart stop by......craig

Will do, Craig. That may be soon, cuz I still have business to do with Shipshop, Crows Nest and Will Johnson Welding.

My minor wake has been taken advantage by a kayaker. He thus stayed up with my 6.3-knot pace for quite a while five feet off my starboard side.

Any news of the missing Manatee in New Bern? Swanee?

Yes, as also reported in the thread “Disturbing report from New Bern”.

I learned from the owners of KK Manatee hull #15 that disappeared during the recent hurricane “Florence” is now in a landfill. Swanee was found holed on the port side and laying upside down over a piling. The pilothouse was completely sheared off and never located. Insurance paid off 100% and the owners, after 14 years on the water, are giving up the cruising life. Swanee, RIP.

What motor do you have?

Hi Larry
(Started the stanchion project today. Well send pictures)

What motor do you have? What rpm to get to 7.5? To 8.0? I have the tmd31a and do about 6.2 At 3200....

-p

This is my boat at 8.7 knots. You can’t see that it has a swim platform because it’s inder water, acting like a giant trim tab. Maybe on the perfect day with a perfect bottom, I might be able to touch 9 knots. Most comfortable cruise for us is 7.2-7.5 knots. She begins squating at 8.

The orange Manatee above on the Tombigbee is Ted & Sarah Pongracz aboard the most travelled Mana-Tee, currently on their 29th loop.

R I P Sewanee, I guess that make three out of the 99 that are gone.

So sad, wonder how many manatee's are left or how many have sunk or destroyed by fire. i would guess there are 75 left.

Hi Larry
(Started the stanchion project today. Well send pictures)

What motor do you have? What rpm to get to 7.5? To 8.0? I have the tmd31a and do about 6.2 At 3200....

-p

My boat has a Yanmar 140. 7.5 @ 2550-2600. 8.0 @ 2900. For 6.2 @ 3200, you must be a bit under prop’d or a very dirty bottom. The orginal independent test of the KK Manatee indicated 7.5 as the top speed, but Jim Krogen claimed it was 8.5 with the TAMD 31 90 HP. The max I’ve ever reached in both directions, right out of the yard with new bottom paint was 8.8 @ 3600.

Last edited:
ftbinc.......do you really run your motor at 3200 rpm? if so larry is correct, something is amiss.. i have a volvo tmd 31a and get 6.8 at 2650 rpm on my manatee. cruising speed shouldn't much more than that..

So sad, wonder how many manatee's are left or how many have sunk or destroyed by fire. i would guess there are 75 left.

A decent Manatee data base is still kept, and the great majority of Manatee builds are still accounted for. Five have sunk in storms that I know of and three of those have been salvaged and are back on the water. One burned in a marina fire, and recently, two others were lost to hurricanes. The ones in Taiwan and Hong Kong have changed owners in the last few years so we think they are OK too. Owners continue to refit them when needed. I think the number of hulls remaining is still over 90.

I just ran across Manatee on the Illinois River and thought of this thread. Looks like they're still looping!

ForumRunner_20181109_142951.jpg

ForumRunner_20181109_143004.jpg

ForumRunner_20181109_143023.jpg

What prop are you running? My gut is is we are well under propped. I hae looked on the prop for a spec, but can't seem to find one. I am going to look hard again. Not sure why anyone would under prop a Manatee.

ftbinc.......do you really run your motor at 3200 rpm? if so larry is correct, something is amiss.. i have a volvo tmd 31a and get 6.8 at 2650 rpm on my manatee. cruising speed shouldn't much more than that..

What prop are you running? My gut is is we are well under propped. I hae looked on the prop for a spec, but can't seem to find one. I am going to look hard again. Not sure why anyone would under prop a Manatee.

Original props reported on most Manatees were 22 x 13 LH, but many owners including Mango Mama went larger diameter and/or pitch. Mine is still stamped 22 x 13 but I suspect it has been repitched to 14 deep. Mango Mama is currently turning a 22 x 16 and has the same Yanmar 140 refit and same ratio tranny, but with the drag of stabilizer fins, deeper keel and articulated rudder, he reports 1/2 knot slower 2100 RPM. He’s taking a much bigger bite with the extra pitch, but I think he might be cavitating over 2000.

The biggest prop I ever heard of on a Manatee with an original Volvo was a 24 x 12 on a dock queen in Hong Kong. The broker noted that the boat ran fine but that soot buildup in the transom was persistent. I asked if the engine was able to reach it’s 3600 RPM max, and he responded “almost”. I guess I shouldn’t expect more detail than that from a selling broker.

Frankly, I think the original 22 x 13 LH prop is the right spec for the 90, 100, and 110 HP Volvos.

I have the propeller build sheet. That and a faded out electrical sheet was on the boat when we bought it. I calculated diameter at 22.08” and pitch 13.04”, my Manatee TMD31A likes the prop size. As you can see on the sheet a PO tried to convert millimeters to inches but miscalculated. I’d have to go to the boat to look at the sheet closeup but LH rotation and I think 3 3/4” boss along with a lot of metric information a propeller shop might need if they built or tuned one.

Attachments

• 59DC8D8E-932E-4F2C-B82A-9B7FB7F32A94.jpg
    59DC8D8E-932E-4F2C-B82A-9B7FB7F32A94.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:
Nice piece of documentation, Bill. Never knew this existed outside the Krogen offices.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom