Greetings from New Hampshire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Mischief Managed II
Vessel Make
1992 Tollycraft 44 CPMY
Folks, New here, lurked for a few days and felt compelled to introduce myself. We currently have a 25 foot Regal (2000 2550LSC) that we bought used in 2005 and have truly enjoyed over the years. It's trailered and we tow it all over the northeast US. As our kids grew from pre-teens into adults the use of the boat evolved from mostly family day-boating with occasional overnight trips, to mostly multi-day cruising with just my wife and I aboard. Despite the space limitations of a 25 foot cuddy, we have done dozens of 2 to 7 day cruises, and 2 "big" cruises in the last 2 years of 16 days and 17 days.

We've taken our little boat to most of the best cruising spots (salt water and fresh water) between Lake Ontario, Ottawa, Montreal, Penobscot Bay and Chesapeake Bay. Our "home" water is Lake Winnipesaukee because it's near enough to be worth towing/launching the boat for just an evening meal after work. We think nothing of a trip like our recent spur-of-the-moment 5-day weekend to Martha's Vineyard and keep the boat ready to go at all times (except Winter, obviously).

Anyway, all these "lengthy" cruises on our little boat have been an absolute blast and we have concluded that we want to sell our house and live on a boat while following comfortable air temperatures between northeast US/southeast Canada, and southeast US, never staying in one area for more than 2-3 weeks. Once I retire in 7 years, we'll expand our cruising to the loop and the Caribbean at the least.

Once we have our next boat, the plan is to spend 6 to 24 months making it a home while cruising it from the Portsmouth, NH area. Once the boat is close to ideal, we'll sell the house and the majority of our stuff, store the rest of our stuff, and start longer-distance cruising. We would love to hear from folks that have done something similar.

FWIW, I am a very pragmatic, high-energy, and self-sufficient engineer with decades of mechanical, electrical/electronics, and fabrication experience; and a ridiculous collection of well-used tools. Repairs, improvements, and maintenance are not a concern at all.

Dave

Welcome aboard Mischief Managed!!!

I assume you're a Harry Potter fan.

Born, raised, and currently reside in Nashua.

Excellent introductory post as you discuss your future plans but also your boating background and what makes you think those plans are for you. You allow us to encourage you by showing that you have started through the preparatory steps. Best of luck to you.

Welcome aboard Mischief Managed!!!

I assume you're a Harry Potter fan.

Born, raised, and currently reside in Nashua.

Thanks!

I'm not a HP "fan", but my wife and kids are and they picked the name of our current boat. I don't dislike HP and I thought it was a great boat name regardless of the origin. It also starts a ton of conversations because there are a lot of HP fans out there. I also use it as a screen name in boating forums because it's always available and I like the continuity with the inevitable cross-forum friends. Our next boat will likely have the same name.

Where do you boat? Nashua gives quite a few options...

Welcome aboard TF.

W/a trailerable boat You are within a day drive of some great cruising. Explore Lk Champlain Chambley canal 1000 Is Rideau Canal.

Welcome aboard TF.

W/a trailerable boat You are within a day drive of some great cruising. Explore Lk Champlain Chambley canal 1000 Is Rideau Canal.

Been to 1000 Islands twice already. Did the 1000 Islands/Rideau Canal. Ottawa River/St. Lawrence River/1000 Islands loop earlier this year, that was our 17 day cruise that I mentioned above and it was excellent. Have not done the Chambley Canal yet, but we've cruised Champlain/Champlain Canal and Hudson River extensively (16 day cruise last year). On both of those cruises (and every other boat ride for that matter), we were not ready to go home at the end...

Agreed, it's great cruising and precisely why we are getting a bigger boat to live on. We also like Penobscot Bay, Buzzards Bay, Narragansett Bay, Lake George, Sebago Lake/Long Lake/Songo River etc.

Now I understand your passion and desire to go farther and longer.
Dont miss the Trent-Severn and Georgian Bay
Good luck w the adventures

Now I understand your passion and desire to go farther and longer.
Dont miss the Trent-Severn and Georgian Bay
Good luck w the adventures

Funny you mention the Trent-Severn and Georgian Bay, that's next Summer's plan if we can't find the ideal live-aboard... Won't have time to do a loop, but we can easily go up and back in a two-week vacation since our current boat cruises effortlessly at 30 knots between no wake zones. I must confess, I'm certain we'll miss the speed at times, but the comfort of a big boat will ease the pain...

Funny you mention the Trent-Severn and Georgian Bay, that's next Summer's plan if we can't find the ideal live-aboard... Won't have time to do a loop, but we can easily go up and back in a two-week vacation since our current boat cruises effortlessly at 30 knots between no wake zones. I must confess, I'm certain we'll miss the speed at times, but the comfort of a big boat will ease the pain...
MM... We are planning on spending 3 mos up there 2019. Maybe we can connect somewhere along the way. We did TS while still working but have wanted to get back and spend more time as well as be able to explore GB.

Welcome aboard, love the plan. Reach out if you are doing Narragansett Bay.

But you can have a compromise with reasonable speed and size. For instance, the new Grand Banks 60' cruises at 27 knots but there are a lot of boats, new and old, that cruise nicely from 15-25 knots. This will be an important issue for you to evaluate and experience. While many are very happy with 7-8 knots, we would absolutely hate having to cruise at those speeds.

I love the speed but when upgrading we looked at operating cost. There is something to be said about burning 3-4 Ghp. Cost me $15 hr to cruise this summer.

But you can have a compromise with reasonable speed and size. For instance, the new Grand Banks 60' cruises at 27 knots but there are a lot of boats, new and old, that cruise nicely from 15-25 knots. This will be an important issue for you to evaluate and experience. While many are very happy with 7-8 knots, we would absolutely hate having to cruise at those speeds.

We are looking at a live aboard that tops out at 24.7 knots and cruises at 17 knots (according to the survey) this weekend, so not really a trawler. I think going from a boat we can only cruise while on vacation, to one that is our home, will dramatically change our perspective about needing to make good time though. We'll probably cruise at 8.5 knots most of the time for economy and reserve the higher speeds for outrunning weather, loading up the engines etc.

MM... We are planning on spending 3 mos up there 2019. Maybe we can connect somewhere along the way. We did TS while still working but have wanted to get back and spend more time as well as be able to explore GB.

Would like that very much.

We are hoping to cruise more in '19, have been limited due to elderly pets. Goals for next year are Nantucket, outer Cape and Maine coast. Of course plenty of great little coves in Narragansett bay, plus serious quohaug digging fields.

The bay is a great place for the 4th as you can see fireworks from multiple locations at same time. Also annual June air show is a blast as you can anchor under the flight path.

We are hoping to cruise more in '19, have been limited due to elderly pets. Goals for next year are Nantucket, outer Cape and Maine coast. Of course plenty of great little coves in Narragansett bay, plus serious quohaug digging fields.

The bay is a great place for the 4th as you can see fireworks from multiple locations at same time. Also annual June air show is a blast as you can anchor under the flight path.

We've cruised Narragansett before. Launched in Battleship cove (nice ramp!) and had a great time in Newport and Wickford.

When you do the Maine coast, I'd be willing to bet Penobscot Bay will be the highlight. It's incredibly nice. While we enjoyed all the ports, we really liked the laid back atmosphere in Bucksport and Rockland. If you go to Bucksport, make it a point to tour Fort Knox and take in the view from the observation deck on the bridge (it'll be obvious which bridge...). A meal at Cafe Miranda in Rockland is not to be missed. Very cool little bistro with an eclectic menu of amazing food. Camden is incredible, but it's more than a little bit snobby. A trip up the river all the way to Bangor would be worth your time, IMO. Bangor is working hard to make the city a more attractive destination for cruisers and the river is easy to navigate and lovely. I regret not stopping at any of the ports on the islands in the bay, but simply motoring around them is stunningly beautiful. Here are some photos from my quick cruise in the Penobscot Bay area: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10213487692578655&type=1&l=63f3e47d7b

Back
Top Bottom