Anyone using an electric scooter?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlyWright

Guru
Site Team
Vessel Name
FlyWright
Vessel Make
1977 Marshall Californian 34 LRC
I've long thought one of these new electric scooters would be useful when trying to get around a new town while cruising. Then I see that some are having battery fire problems and it makes me rethink the idea.

Lime, Segway Trade Blame Over Flaming Scooters

Segway-Mini-Pro-Mini-Segway.jpg

http://www.segway.com/media/2356/25668-00001_miniplus-factsheet_rev-aa.pdf

I wouldn't consider it unless I could be assured the electrical fire risk has been successfully eliminated or greatly minimized. But when they reach that point, I think they could be fun and useful.

Does anyone here use one or two and have recommendations? Maybe I need a Ninebot Go Kart Kit and a miniPRO like this one...

Greetings,
Mr. FW. On initial review, fire hazard aside, I thought cool! Upon sober second thought, mmm....not so much.

I did a very quick search for electric bikes and I can see why you'd be interested in the unit(s) you posted. Lighter and easier to stow BUT while the Segway and the miniPRO might be allowed or tolerated on the streets of "Smalltown, PNW", the Ninebot go-cart would most probably be frowned upon. Probably would be the most exciting though until you were apprehended.

Another thing to consider, at least at MY age, (not as much of a concern for you youngsters) is balance. Nope. Need something to hold on to. The old, stand up Segways, perhaps but they weigh too much to get on and off the boat.

This between your knees design may be intuitive and the learning curve may be almost vertical but I think being able to put one's feet out to avert a fall is far safer than hoping your upper body and extremities are able to absorb any impact (fall).

The end of this epistle brings me to this: https://swagtron.com/ebike/folding-electric-bike/

Al

My advice is to forget the Flor de Cana while using the Segway. LOL

Greetings,
Mr. B. Ya know, great minds and all that...I was thinking maybe Mr. FW should buy (maybe rent?) a selection of these transporters and bring them to the meet-up in Feb.

What a scoop! Hands on product testing by experienced boaters. Who better to evaluate the merits of these transporters. I betcha the manufacturers would DONATE their products for the positive advertising value of film footage of the tests.

I say we start a GO-FUND!!! All in favor?

Pedal the bicycle.
If you can run a trawler you can pedal a bicycle.

RT

Fantastic idea. I’ll bring a few extra bottles of Flor de Cana for Al to drink as he proves the various Segways, I want to film him riding after the second bottle. So RT, can we expect you there as a cheering section?

Greetings,
Mr. NW. "Pedal the bicycle.". I disagree. I think I know where Mr. FW is coming from. Offload transporter, take a buzz around town, back to boat and not be exhausted from the walking. As I mentioned, much easier to stow than a bike unless it was a folding model.

Greetings,
Mr. B. Re: post #6. I very much doubt my absence or presence would add to or subtract from the success of the festivities. The jury is still out.

RT

How wrong you are, we would all like to put a face to your fabulous comments, you could be the hit of the party. Might even crown you king.

So your saying there is a chance?

There are handles you can buy to add to the miniPRO to look like this. Seems like a sensible addition but adds to the storage space req'ts.

segway-minipro-more4mini-height-adjustable-handlebar-kit-for-ninebot-by-segway-minipro-2_large.jpg

https://more4mini.com/products/heig...TSixgX20XQDhC7l7ODQ23L7THgg5BUGRoCDnkQAvD_BwE

RTF, your e-bike looks sensible and probably much more practical but lacks the panache of a miniPRO. Wait until they come out with a collapsible e-cart that rivals the senior carts rolling down the streets. We'll all be driving them in the end...

FWIW, I have a SoloWheel that works really well. It is small and relatively light. Just takes a bit of balance and practice, but works well.

As I recall, the inventor of the same or similar invention died riding it. With my poor balance, the odds against me would be higher. :blush:

When it comes with 3 wheels, a seat and something to hold on to, I might consider it but, I too have a balance problem.

Your boat must be bigger than mine.

Believing that flying equipment will come smaller and on the other hand, flying in the air several could be chaos while the city in traffic.

NBs

Old generation fly dingy, Accommodates you and my top deck.
FIB_p8.JPG

Last edited:
Just bought 2 of the https://www.jupiterbike.com/ at the Ft. Lauderdale boat show. Took them for a spin around our neighborhood yesterday and had a blast.

I'm 6'3" and 220 and was amazed at how comfortable it is. The fact that it weighs 25 pounds and fits in a backpack makes storing it somewhere on the boat a breeze. We'll still keep our folding bikes on board for exercise but I see using these Jupiter bikes a bunch when we head to the Keys this winter.

Just bought 2 of the https://www.jupiterbike.com/ at the Ft. Lauderdale boat show. Took them for a spin around our neighborhood yesterday and had a blast.

I'm 6'3" and 220 and was amazed at how comfortable it is. The fact that it weighs 25 pounds and fits in a backpack makes storing it somewhere on the boat a breeze. We'll still keep our folding bikes on board for exercise but I see using these Jupiter bikes a bunch when we head to the Keys this winter.

:thumb: Looks like a breeze to set up and collapse. Very compact design. Let us know how they hold up over time.

As I recall, the inventor of the same or similar invention died riding it. With my poor balance, the odds against me would be higher. :blush:

The SoloWheel inventor is still alive and kicking in Camas Washington I believe (near Vancouver, WA). His biggest problem is that he comes up with inventions, starts to build and sell a product, then has his patents violated in China and cheaper knockoffs sold. That is what happened to his Hovertrax, as well as SoloWheel. I believe it was the cheap Chinese copies that had issues with bursting into flames.

If the SoloWheel looks too difficult (and I certainly get that), then you can take a look at his new dual wheel design http://iotatrax.com

Greetings,
Mr. FW. You raise another issue that will have to be considered. Longevity. At $500+++ a pop for the unit, will you be able to get repair or replacement parts 2 or 3 years down the road? Just a guess but I suspect that with a more established company such as Segway you might have a better chance of repair.

I have one of these: https://www.amazon.com/GOTRAX-GXL-Commuting-Electric-Scooter/dp/B07F1GNDRL

Easy to store, easy to transport by dinghy, fun, quick (unless going up a steep hill, where you might have to kick a bit). Because it folds quickly and easily and can be carried, I can ride one way and Uber/bus/whatever back the other way if the weather changes or I pick up lots of groceries or whatever.

I often ride it between the boat in Ballard and downtown Seattle (along the bike trails)...it's more fun and much easier to use than the Dahon Mariner folding bike I had before.

46074107-275B-4753-AFC2-C0EAF2A69C9F.jpg

This my Prodeco Storm electric folding bike. Bought it in 2012 and it’s still going strong. 20mph up to 40 mile range. Just replaced the lithium battery this summer for the first time. Aluminum frame hinges just behind water bottle. They also market a model called Mariner and I saw that at a West Marine store once.

My modus-operandi is to pedal it like a regular bike but use the motor for quick starts at road junctions, riding up hills, against heavy winds or when I have gone too far and am getting tired on the ride back. I had heart surgery and this allows me to exercise without fear of being stuck too far from the boat.

It does weigh 50lbs but half of that is the battery pack that unlocks and slides off. I keep the battery in the wheelhouse and the bike under a cover on the upper deck.

One of the best boat related purchases I have made. Provides great freedom.

Not exactly Mark.

The inventor didn't die but the guy who bought the segway company did die on one driving it off a cliff.

Segway company owner rides scooter off cliff - World news - Europe | NBC News

Dean Kamen is still alive and well. There is a movie called Slingshot on Netflix about some of his developments.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3242934/

Cocoa Beach just spent $110,000 in tourist tax money to install 50 Zagster bicycle rental locations around the town. From what I can find out, the lowest cost trip is $6 which is about the same price as a local Uber or Lyft except with Uber or Lyft, you don't have to pedal it...

https://www.zagster.com/

While down in Ft Lauderdale for FLIBS, I noticed the racks of scooters owned by Uber. Didn't see anyone on one though.

Greetings,
Mr. 99. Interesting. Thanks. Granted, an Uber ride may be the same price but for the youngsters and families, bikes are an attractive way to get around. Only problem with the Zagster set-up may be a drop in rentals for private businesses.

How will Uber scooters work? Same as the Zagster system and what type of scooters? Vespa type? Or the "push it with your foot" type?

Based upon my own experience, the small wheel scooters and bikes are more difficult to maintain your balance and more skittish on gravel or rough paths.
Remember, wear your bike helmet. We dont need any more brain dead boater.

Greetings,
Mr. 99. Interesting. Thanks. Granted, an Uber ride may be the same price but for the youngsters and families, bikes are an attractive way to get around. Only problem with the Zagster set-up may be a drop in rentals for private businesses.

How will Uber scooters work? Same as the Zagster system and what type of scooters? Vespa type? Or the "push it with your foot" type?

https://www.li.me/electric-scooter

They are electric styled after the Razer scooters in the past.

The thing about Uber vs Zagster, what if you and you SO want to go somewhere, two zagster bikes vs one Uber. It doesn't make sense to me, and to pay $2200 per bike for the privilege of using it around town? That's the definition of boondoggle to me.

Is it a bigger boondoggle than paying $30k for a boat for the privilege of using it around the bay?

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom