Perkins gen. shuts down after 10 min.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
B-Shore>Transfer switch>Inverter?

Correct. I turn on the breaker for charging. I select either shore power or generator on the switch below.

' B ' is the one.

I don't have any documentation, so I am just learning as I go.

Last edited:
In my case, having seen my batteries depleted by the Inverter being left on while there was shore power available and thus used automatically when that source of power failed, I leave the Inverter function off unless I need it..

Your description is the closest to my reality.
For that reason, I turned off the Inverter on the Magnum control panel. There should be no AC power on board right now on board. My goal is just have the anchor light on, while I am away and the boat is on hook. I really hope that the batteries will not be down to 11.3V as they were at the end of my last trip. My two banks should supply the LED anchor light for months. It was a mistake to leave the Inverter on, last time. Even if I uplugged everything, I might have left something on and used up the batteries. I don't want this to happen again.

Last edited:
Correct. I turn on the breaker for charging. I select either shore power or generator on the switch below.

' B ' is the one.

I don't have any documentation, so I am just learning as I go.

What happens if you dont turn on the "battery charger" breaker? That is a mystery. The Magnum does not need it to function if connected like B.
The Magnum should go from Charger Standby to Bulk Charging as soon as you switch the transfer switch to Gen with the generator running.
Magnum has their manuals online. You want both inverter manual and the RC50 remote control manual.

What happens if you dont turn on the "battery charger" breaker? That is a mystery. The Magnum does not need it to function if connected like B.

My guess was; the switch is for additional protection. Again, I do not know much about the boat's electrical schema. There is not any solid info left behind.

Comment- An LED anchor light draws about 0.1 amp and should last a month or more on any decent battery.

I was on the trip for 10 days, so the boat was on hook and only anchor light on. This time however, I turned off the Inverter, and everything else. Nothing was running.
The voltage was 12.4V on the batteries. This is way different that last time, when it was 11.6V after my return. So, something was using power, because the anchor light is not significant.
After running the generator for an hour, I turned everything off again. Coming back to the salon, I could hear something running. It turns out that the propane heater's fan was on. It is very quiet, so it is possible that this fan was draining down the batteries before. I might have left it on, when I tested the heather.

Back
Top Bottom