CAT 3208 T/A Parts-Where?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Alaskan Sea-Duction
Vessel Make
1988 M/Y Camargue YachtFisher
Hey TF,

Need some assistance. I am in the process of replacing all the rubber hoses on each engine . I am also looking at maybe replacing an oil cooler.

Other than high priced CAT dealer, where can I get parts that are not going to cost me my lottery winnings?

Thanks for the help.

Tom

When it comes to rubber hoses on cat 3208’s. I would use the new silicon hoses. They are very flexible and are supposed to have longer life. They can be sourced at Nebar in Seattle if you can’t find a Portland supplier. There are 2 90 degree hoses that I have found no other source for. The Cat dealer in Seattle (NC Machinery) has these. They cost something like $20 each but you only need 4.

Silicon hose comes in several temperature grades, red is over kill, blue is what everyone uses and it’s abit over kill as well. Nebar will sell you as little as 1’ of hose which is more than you will need for two of the odd sizes.

I have never gone anywhere but NC Machinery for my parts. They know exactly which model of engines I have. I always get the right part and they have even put parts on the airlines to get them to me same day. They are not cheap but neither is sending back the wrong parts.

Silicon hose comes in several temperature grades, red is over kill, blue is what everyone uses and it’s abit over kill as well.

Umm..color has absolutely nothing to do with the performance of a silicone hose. Black can be spec'd the same as red or blue or green or yellow.

It's been a while since I was the Supplier Development Engineer in the Hose/Tube group but all the CAT silicone hoses I looked at were black or a raw red/orangish color. The performance of the hose is in the construction of the material used to wrap the hose. The color of the silicone impregnated into the material (fiberglass/kevlar/etc.) had nothing to do with the final product.

If I had a CAT engine...I'd buy CAT hoses and know I was getting world class quality that met the original or better spec.

Carry on,

Sidney

On Edit: http://www.purosil.com/literature/siliconeHoseManual.pdf

Last edited:
Sidney, I am sure you are right in that you can have silicon hose made in any color and to any spec. The marine grade coolant hose that we use in the PNW is color coded. It’s not the silicone that changes color, it’s the final cloth layer. None the less if ASD called Nebar and asked for the blue silicone hose he would get the right product.

None the less if ASD called Nebar and asked for the blue silicone hose he would get the right product.

Right product? Maybe. What he won't get is a "CAT" hose built to the spec's the Engineer called out on the print. CAT hoses aren't blue. Again...color has nothing to do with the performance of the hose.

I'm not trying to be a pain but I've seen "Blue" Silicone hoses sold as Hi-performance that were junk. The market, specifically the automotive market has figured out "Blue" hoses mean "Hi-Performance" and you can buy some pretty crappy hoses that are "Blue".

With that said...I visited Nebar's website and would agree the poster could probably find an aftermarket product that would work.

Sidney

Right product? Maybe. What he won't get is a "CAT" hose built to the spec's the Engineer called out on the print. CAT hoses aren't blue. Again...color has nothing to do with the performance of the hose.

I'm not trying to be a pain but I've seen "Blue" Silicone hoses sold as Hi-performance that were junk. The market, specifically the automotive market has figured out "Blue" hoses mean "Hi-Performance" and you can buy some pretty crappy hoses that are "Blue".

With that said...I visited Nebar's website and would agree the poster could probably find an aftermarket product that would work.

Sidney

I also buy only Cat parts. Hoses that I’ve bought from my Cat dealer are blue. Are they not Cat hoses, or did I misunderstand?

Hey TF,

Need some assistance. I am in the process of replacing all the rubber hoses on each engine . I am also looking at maybe replacing an oil cooler.

Other than high priced CAT dealer, where can I get parts that are not going to cost me my lottery winnings?

Thanks for the help.

Tom

If you don't know of any other sources, how do you know that the CAT dealer is "very expensive"?

Not sure which engines you have, but my 3208 naturals did not have that many hoses when I went through mine. I just got the long molded hose from cat. The remote oil filter mount I had made from a hydraulic shop. They all will last a really long time after replacement and not terribly expensive no matter where you get them. Having owned Volvo, mostly I just use NC Machine and never thought I was getting ripped. Not cheap, but not ripoff level either. Only exception has been injectors which I sourced elsewhere for what is supposed to be the oem supplier.

Flexfab

5515 AND 5500 SERIES: 3-PLY COOLANT HOSE
Available in a Blue or Green Cover
Stocked in 3’ Lengths
12’ Lengths Also Available (Please Call For Availability)
CONSTRUCTION:
• Silicone hose with 3-plies of Polyester Reinforcement
SPECIFICATIONS:
• Meets or exceeds the operating requirements of SAE J20 R1 Class A
• Meets or exceeds the operating requirements of TMC RP303B Class I Grade II • Temperature range is -65°F (-54°C) to +350°F (+177°C)
• Custom Wall Thickness is .140”/.190”
• Working pressure is 1/3 of the burst pressure
APPLICATIONS:
• For heavy duty pressure connections in hostile engine environments
• Resists hardening, cracking, cold leaks, aging, and many chemicals
• Ideal for extreme temperature and various pressure ranges where high performance levels are required

You will need 2” ID, 1.5” ID, 1.25” ID, & 1” ID.

If you can’t source this in Portland you can use Nebar in Seattle.

Last spring I tried to order every hose from CAT and I found most the part numbers had been superseded by their bulk hose number. CAT sent me the specs on their bulk hose, I found that the flexfab matched or exceeded the specs of the hose that cat is currently selling.

I just bought some hoses from Caterpillar and I was surprised how reasonably priced they were. In general I don't find that the cat stuff is very expensive compared to buying parts for my westerbeke generator

If you don't know of any other sources, how do you know that the CAT dealer is "very expensive"?

I have bought CAT parts from CAT and found the same at say NAPA for half of what CAT wanted,

I also had an marine engine tech tell he uses NC also.

I have never gone anywhere but NC Machinery for my parts. They know exactly which model of engines I have. I always get the right part and they have even put parts on the airlines to get them to me same day. They are not cheap but neither is sending back the wrong parts.

Which location do you use? I have a NC about 30 miles north of us in Chehalis..

Flexfab

5515 AND 5500 SERIES: 3-PLY COOLANT HOSE
Available in a Blue or Green Cover
Stocked in 3’ Lengths
12’ Lengths Also Available (Please Call For Availability)
CONSTRUCTION:
• Silicone hose with 3-plies of Polyester Reinforcement
SPECIFICATIONS:
• Meets or exceeds the operating requirements of SAE J20 R1 Class A
• Meets or exceeds the operating requirements of TMC RP303B Class I Grade II • Temperature range is -65°F (-54°C) to +350°F (+177°C)
• Custom Wall Thickness is .140”/.190”
• Working pressure is 1/3 of the burst pressure
APPLICATIONS:
• For heavy duty pressure connections in hostile engine environments
• Resists hardening, cracking, cold leaks, aging, and many chemicals
• Ideal for extreme temperature and various pressure ranges where high performance levels are required

You will need 2” ID, 1.5” ID, 1.25” ID, & 1” ID.

If you can’t source this in Portland you can use Nebar in Seattle.

Last spring I tried to order every hose from CAT and I found most the part numbers had been superseded by their bulk hose number. CAT sent me the specs on their bulk hose, I found that the flexfab matched or exceeded the specs of the hose that cat is currently selling.

Been there many times. Excellent supplier.

Sidney

i agree on going to the local cat store for any hose for their engines, other wise, napa`s green stripe hoses are excellent...clyde

hmmm...there are catapiller stores everywhere! and, as i said, the napa green stripe last, and last! i have napa green stripe on my old volvo, that have been there for several years, and are still like new! EBAY?? your kidding, right!...clyde

hmmm...there are catapiller stores everywhere! and, as i said, the napa green stripe last, and last! i have napa green stripe on my old volvo, that have been there for several years, and are still like new! EBAY?? your kidding, right!...clyde

Yes there are CAT stores every were but they are not the same. The CAT dealer in Longbeach CA is worthless to a boater. Some dealers have stock and some don’t. The NC guys have it or they can have it to your boat tomorrow even if you are broke down it Cresent City, CA.

Might try Central Hose & Fittings Inc in Pasco

enuf alredy...clyde

I ended up ordering from NC Machine in Chehalis WA. Great folks. Ordered on Wednesday and got my parts on Friday. What surprised me was the part numbers out of my part manual are all still valid. For the straight lines they ordered the blue silicon hose. The fitted hoses (90 degree) are factory numbers. Some of these parts are silicon!!

So $400 later for one engine I have to wire wheel some rust (from my antifreeze leak) and paint. Then start replacing hoses. Let the fun begin.

Thank you everyone for the assistance.

Yep, you milked that job long enuff! Now, make her pretty!

It has taken a bit, but I have the Port engine hoses replaced. I am waiting on a pipe that I discovered was deteriorated badly. See Pic. Wouldn't have discovered it if I had not decided to replace hoses.

Most of the CAT parts are silicon which surprised me.

I also found these little clamp covers. This will save blood being spread around the engine room.

Attachments

• IMG_3235.jpg
    IMG_3235.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_3234.jpg
    IMG_3234.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_3233.jpg
    IMG_3233.jpg
    73.5 KB · Views: 40
cats use of silicone is more prevalent on marine engines but there are still many applications that use normal rubber hoses. i think cats main use of silicon is focused on high heat areas where rubber will not last.

If you can believe the packaging this coolant can be mixed with ANY other coolant. I took 11 gallons.

Ran motor to temp and no leaks!!!:thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_3236.jpg
    IMG_3236.jpg
    152.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_3237.jpg
    IMG_3237.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 25
Back
Top Bottom