View Single Post
Old 11-01-2018, 06:23 PM   #11
NCheaven

City: Chocowinity, (Cypress Landing) NC
Vessel Name: Boatwright
Vessel Model: Camano 31
I bought the "Rhode Island Boat" in July 2017, and the radar/solar panel frame has held up very well, including in rolling and pitching seas. But, I have tied lateral brace lines for hurricane preparation to limit lateral motion of the frame, and over the winter, etc. Whether or not that helps, the radar and solar panel are still there, and the frame is just as it was when I bought the boat in July, 2017. Having said that, I'm looking at replacing the OEM electronics, and am considering a more conventional radar mast, and moving the solar panel somewhere else. (BTW, the solar panel is very effective! Disconnected shore power for roughly two months including both SE hurricanes, and it had a great charge when I powered up in October. I will definitely keep the solar panel!) A single tower mast braced to the aft rail on the bridge and maybe deck braces to the 6' level (8' mast), or a tower that goes side to side over the entire bridge, bolted into the sides of the bridge are among options I'm looking at. The present radar seems aimed too high, misses some visible targets, and being old technology, it sends a very powerful signal just over the heads of anyone on the bridge. I don't like that, and will probably go with a Garmin Fantom - new tech - less power usage, safer 40W signal overhead, better imaging. Bottom line, I'm thankful for how well the existing tower has held up, but perhaps a more conventional tower or arch will be more confidence inspiring. Overall, the boat has been great, with minor adjustments. Happily cruising down here in nc - small trawler heaven! Looking forward to more ambitious destinations in 2019. Radar is a significant aid down here, if you look at the ICW in northern NC - limited site distances and many twists in the ICW. Nice to be able to use radar and AIS to have a good idea of what barge and shrimp boat traffic lies ahead, as they have to maintain near-center channel at all times in narrow passages.

I welcome suggestions on masts, radar, replacement MFDs, etc. (I do use navionics on a tablet for back up, currently the best charts on board other than paper ones.)

Alex
NCheaven is offline   Reply With Quote