Trawler Style Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flykayak

Hey y'all,

I've recently become very interested in trawlers but am still new/ignorant when it comes to the types available, especially when it comes to particular styles. I've done quite a bit of reading and browsing and as much research as I can, but I was hoping for a little insight.

I have managed to find a particular style that I like, and I've tried to do more research on the brand/style itself, but google searches tend to only lead me to the single classified. The style I'm interested in is this:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/1973/Holiday-Marine-Monk-3102697/Ft.-Lauderdale/FL/United-States?refSource=enhanced%20listing

My question is; Aside from this -single- boat, are there any others that you know of (or other brands) that are similar? In terms of style. Like galley location/layout, cabins, top deck, etc.?

I'm really just looking for some direction so I can know of more options to search for rather than just this one boat in particular. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Gulf Commanders are of a similar style. They were built here. On the B.C. coast they are present although not a lot of them around. I'm sure some of them are in Washington state.

As for the interior I cannot say.

They are not trawlers. They are planing boats but many of them are run slowly to suit the owners.

Bayliner 4588 or 4788 may also be of interest. Driven at trawler speed they are fairly efficient. When we bought our boat there were several makes and models that were similar but after looking through a number it became obvious to us which one suited us best. Happy hunting!

Bomba is right. If you like that boat, I think a Bayliner 4588 ir 4788 would be a better boat and value.

Do the "advanced search" on Yachtworld..... Fiberglass, diesel, 45-55 feet, your area and your budget range plus 30%...... And then just sift through it. Every time you see something you like take a screen shot. After 20 hours of that you'll have a nice list.

The styling is a bit unusual, but basically, it is a "pilot house Europa trawler." If you google that phrase, you will find many similar.

Welcome aboard! Hatterass Long Range Cruiser?

You seem to be searching using Google. Most boats of that size and price will be listed on Yachtworld. It is a little hard to get to (why Yachtworld?) but hit Boats up at the top of the home page and then Advanced Search which will get you to a detailed data entry screen where you can put in all of your parameters.

Hold the control key down and select trawler, cruiser, express cruiser and flybridge in the boat type box and select the price, size and location that you want and that should narrow down the listings shown.

David

The vessel pictured is a dead ringer for a Canoe Cove. Very popular in the PNW, made in BC as I recall. The CC is a bit more stout looking whereas the vessel pictured more like a houseboat.

In boats this old, condition is everything. Eyes, not camera shots needed at some point.

Last edited:
I felt like typing a little nonsense and it must be your lucky day; you are the beneficiary.

Form follows function is a good rule and maybe it should apply here. Top-down vs bottom-up are two ways of looking at things. Make sure you understand how hull forms affect your boating. Displacement, semi-displacement and modified-V hulls are all available with a trawler-looking house on top. Single engine vs twin engine might change your approach to things. Answer yourself some questions about what you will do with a boat before you do too much shopping. Get the house you like on the hull that best suits your purpose. If speed or maneuverability are issues, get twins.

Thank you for indulging my silliness. It has passed for the moment.

Last edited:
Yup, spend some time on Yachtworld. Spend some time shopping in person. Invest some time here; plenty of opinions...

What you've pictured is what's called a 'Europa' styled (the overhangs over the side decks) 'sedan' (the nice big back porch at the level of the salon). W/o a helm door so that the helmsperson can get on deck directly, this really is not a 'Trawler' (almost the only real defining feature). The couple steps up to the lower helm position makes it a 'Pilot House'; some folks like that look (since there are quite a few with that feature) - you might choose to pay attention to how annoyed you might be by the extra steps to the various levels. That would be true on the flybridge level, too.

There are a great many 'sedan' cabin cruisers; there are relatively few 'sedan' trawlers. Most trawlers have an 'aft cabin' with head as well as sleeping accommodations and a head forward. An important trade off is to be made between having a comfier aft cabin vs a salon that opens up to a back porch. Another important trade off is a 'sun deck' (a larger aft cabin which requires going over it from salon to aft). Another is the number of different floor levels and steps. Yet another is 'galley up' vs 'galley down'.

And that's before you get to mere details like engine type and count, fuel use, thruster, electronics, quality of build, style of woodwork, condition. Not to mention size and bragging rights! Oh, and cost.

Awesome! All this helps a ton. Definitely have a little more direction now! The search can be a little overwhelming sometimes haha. Thank y'all very much!

Hey y'all,

I've recently become very interested in trawlers but am still new/ignorant when it comes to the types available, especially when it comes to particular styles. I've done quite a bit of reading and browsing and as much research as I can, but I was hoping for a little insight.

I have managed to find a particular style that I like, and I've tried to do more research on the brand/style itself, but google searches tend to only lead me to the single classified. The style I'm interested in is this:

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/19...e/FL/United-States?refSource=enhanced listing

My question is; Aside from this -single- boat, are there any others that you know of (or other brands) that are similar? In terms of style. Like galley location/layout, cabins, top deck, etc.?

I'm really just looking for some direction so I can know of more options to search for rather than just this one boat in particular. Any help is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Good choice! Nice looking vessel. [emoji106]

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom