Fire in the sky

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ALL of these photos are AWESOME!!!* Thanks everyone for sharing!* It sure makes winter a little more tolerable.*

Fossil Bay, Sucia Island, 8/'11

Attachments

• sucia_sunset.jpg
    sucia_sunset.jpg
    69.3 KB · Views: 67
Marin wrote:
*I would think it would be a very difficult place to leave once one was there and established.
******** I guess I missed the reason you are moving. Why are you?

Walt, Marin and all,

We miss peaceful Washington. The Maple trees, grassy farm fields, beaches w real sand, peaceful farm valleys, much longer summers w much less frequent rain, roads that do'nt have sand and gravel all over them half the year, far less wind, restaurants and stores of course and the ability get in our car and go places other than Craig Alaska. The ability to seek and find friends that are more like us. One of the reasons I'm on TF so much is that you guys are too big of a chunk of my social life. Almost nobody here is interested in boats and boating the way we are. Life revolves around fishing and hunting. Boats are just tools to get fish. Also going to California or Montana is so easy from Wash and my old friend Canada is close and readily accessible. We'll be close to much more family etc*etc. My cousin Ann from California summed it up smartly when we first got here * "but what do you doooooo?"

We'll miss SEA very much when we're gone. Ther's no place like it. I was born in the territory of Alaska and its part of me but living there has run it's course. I thought Chris wanted to stay here more than me so I stopped talk'in about moving but she kept it up. Had a talk or 10 and decided to come home.

Now I've kinda smashed my foot and am limping around so this first leg of the move will be difficult but I think we'll get er done.

Eric

Hi Conrad

You are absolutly right! Did you boat come from Bob at CCYC in Sidney?

Eric:

Great explanation on your reasons for leaving Thorne Bay. All the things you noted are important to me as well.

IMHO, Alaskan small towns are for the younger crowd. Beautiful as they are, living close to a larger city is more stimulating.

I've often wondered why you settled in Thorne Bay. You are interested in sooo many other subjects, it would seem to me that you & your wife would be bored to tears there.

I just got gack from spending 12 days at my home in Sedona, AZ. My wife loves it and the views are spectacular. I, however, am bored after just 3 days as there is absolutely nothing to do except look out the windows at the red rock formations. To comprehend that takes about 10 minutes (at the most) and then it's "what do we do now?")

Welcome back to civilization!

Great shot john ,makes you want to stay on the water all nite.

Carrick-on Shannon, Ireland. During a cruise of the Shannon-Erne waterway.

dvd

Attachments

• sunset carrick-on-shannon.jpg
    sunset carrick-on-shannon.jpg
    67.1 KB · Views: 72
rochepoint wrote:
Hi Conrad

You are absolutly right! Did you boat come from Bob at CCYC in Sidney?
*She did! You're familiar with Dorian I then? We purchased her in 2009 and have been doing quite *a bit of updating since. She has great bones.

She was living in Maple Bay but moved to Campbell River in 2011.

Mark, it's hard to resist "the golden hour"! The first was taken at our marina(Anchor Cove, Anacortes, WA). The second picture is also close to home, on the dock at Coupeville, WA.

Attachments

• anchor cove marina.jpg
    anchor cove marina.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 74
Silver Lake, Ocracoke Island NC. Sunset on Pamlico Sound. Doesn't seem to matter where you are, they always look nice.

-- Edited by ARoss on Sunday 8th of January 2012 01:33:39 PM

ARoss wrote:
Silver Lake, Ocracoke Island NC. Sunset on Pamlico Sound. Doesn't seem to matter where you are, they always look nice.*
*Al that channel looks sooooo innocent in that picture. *The perception changes a little when you are trying to sort it out while dodging the dredge and the large ferries.
biggrin.gif
* However on the other hand, it can be a welcomed sight after a rough crossing of Pamlico Sound.

We've been to O'coke at least once a year the last 5-6 years.*
You're right about the ferries. A trawler was badly damaged in a collision iwth a ferry a couple of years ago.* I'd never try the approach after dark, but it's always a great trip.

Princess Cove, Wallace Island, sunset in July. this photo was published in Pacific Yachting, in the Letters to the editor section, after their 2009 photo contest winner, taken at the same place, similar date, was wrongly labelled. they kindly accepted my correction and gave my photo a full half page, at east twice what they had given the winning photo.

the text of my LTE:

I always enjoy the results of the annual photo contest.* This year is no exception.* I also have the winning picture, taken July 2nd, 2009 at 9:50 pm, in Princess Bay, Wallace Island.* Trouble is, you have published a similar photo, taken on a different night, at the same place and time, but you have wrongly located it in Gabriola Passage.* My photo is attached.*
I have long considered Princess Bay the most photogenic place in the Gulf Islands.* I took this shot for my office wall, in 1977. It hung there proudly till it faded out and I retook it in 1988.* I eventually replaced that iteration too, but not before seeing the same scene, at sunset, on the cover of Sail Magazine.* This latest I haven't framed up yet, but now I probably will.* Thanks for publishing the winner's version.<br clear="all" />

Attachments

• 2009 07 02_0660.jpg
    2009 07 02_0660.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 55
This is definitely NOT a fire in the sky photo.* It's not even all that dramatic of a photo.

But to date it is my favorite of all the boating pictures I have taken. It has come the closest to capturing what I love about boating this coast--- the maze of islands and channels, the brooding Coast Range overlooking it all, the mystery and the glimmer of an element of danger that keeps you on your toes, the immense solitude, and being in the middle of an environment in which everything around you from the trees to the whales to the birds, bears and slugs is better equipped for survival than you.

I've been to a lot of places on this planet so far, from Norway to China to Malta to Brazil to New Zealand to Prince Edward Island--- 32 countries at last count. And while I've seen some really, really neat places I've not seen anywhere I would rather be than the BC raincoast between East Point light on Saturna and Prince Rupert.

Attachments

• running home.jpg
    running home.jpg
    94.7 KB · Views: 58
ARoss wrote:
We've been to O'coke at least once a year the last 5-6 years.*
You're right about the ferries. A trawler was badly damaged in a collision iwth a ferry a couple of years ago.* I'd never try the approach after dark, but it's always a great trip.
*When I read Tom Clancy's book "Hunt for Red October", I discovered a slip up in his usually thoroughly researched information. *He had the big boomer sub go in at Ocracoke Inlet. *I said that they could never get a sub that size in that channel. *In the movie, it was changed to the Maine coast. *Somebody pointed out the error.

There's no fire in this sky but I thought yo'all would like to see this sky photo. Taken in Thorne Bay by Shane VanOrden.

Eric

Attachments

• tolstoisky_desktop.jpg
    tolstoisky_desktop.jpg
    253.9 KB · Views: 54
nomadwilly wrote:
There's no fire in this sky but I thought yo'all would like to see this sky photo. Taken in Thorne Bay by Shane VanOrden.

Eric

*That is an extraordinary photograph.

nomadwilly wrote:

Nature's abilities make ours look pretty pathetic in comparison, I think. *Thanks for posting the shot, Eric.

I didn't take this one, but still impressive.

Attachments

• shuttle01.jpg
    shuttle01.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 59

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom