Need help finding full displacement boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lollygag

Vessel Name
Lollygag
Vessel Make
1979 42' CHB Europa
Anybody have a list of full displacement trawlers in the 40'-45' range?* I previously had a CT35 but didn't think it was big enough to go under the gate.* We bought a Union 36 and sailed to Mexico twice.* Now we're looking for a trawler that will get us to Mexico or Alaska.

Pretty hard to beat Nordhavn if you have the funds. I think Willard made some models in the 40' range but Eric Henning is your expert on that manufacturer. Lots of custom displacement boats or fishboat conversions around if you're interested in that sort of thing. Krogen is a displacement boat but I don't know anything about their reputation as open water boats.

*Are you*looking for a passagemaker? Or are you looking for a boat that is "comfortable" at displacement speeds.

As far as true ocean crossing production*passagemakers the list is pretty small.

Nordhavn

Krogen

Hatteras LRC

Willard

Some of the Defevers

There are allot of boats that are not necessarily passagemakers but operate well at displacement speeds. That is what the majority here seem to own.

Instead of thinking that "I want a full displacement boat" it might be better to think about what you want to do with the boat, then get a boat that fits those needs. Most of the boats owned by folks that post here can go up the west coast in decent weather.

*I own a 4788 Bayliner for example. Is it a passagemaker? No. Is it even technically a trawler? No, it can cruise up to 15 knots. But it handles well at 7 knots, gets almost 2 nmpg and has 800 NM of range.

But, in three months I'll start a 1500 NM (one way)*trip up the inside passage to Alaska. This will include a 340NM open water Gulf Of Alaska crossing. In years to come I will have no issues taking that boat down the california coast in good weather to Mexico. If we wanted to we could even go south and cross into the Caribbean via the Panama Canal. Remember its all costal cruising.

So, I'd start with your goals, and get a boat that meets those goals.

-- Edited by ksanders on Thursday 5th of January 2012 10:17:53 PM

Some other builders are Selene, Sunnfjord, and Park Isle. The latter two are small volume so probably wouldn't have anything used, but they do build in your stated size range.

Thank you all for your input. I'm leaning toward a Krogen 42. They seem to be solid boats with a pretty good set of owners who take care of their boats. I like the sea kindly full displacement hull and the fuel economy that goes with it. Besides, she's a good looking "shippy" boat, draws stares going by or at anchor. We still have a lot of time before we can start spending time at a marina much less cruising. We're both retired but have some other things to arrange before we can go. That makes it time to start looking!

Our friends have a Nordhaven 46.* They tied up next to us and I knew I was doomed as soon as the admiral walked on board!

Boats with minimal superstructure appear more capable*of open-water/sea cruising.* They typically are converted fishing vessels (as pictured below)*or designs similar to the Diesel Ducks by*Buehler.

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 5th of January 2012 10:52:57 PM

Attachments

• fishing trawler.jpg
    fishing trawler.jpg
    164.3 KB · Views: 567
One boat that first jumps to my mind, and would likely fit the bill for a cruising couple, and likely one of the most affordable, would be a 40' Willard.*

I don't believe "sedan" style cruisers with large windows (as in the Coot's saloon and*a majority of trawler designs) are a good choice for open-ocean cruising.* A large wave is more likely to break them.* A proper ocean-going vessel should be capable of shedding water quickly, unlike the high bulwards on the Coot (designed for coastal/gunkholing cruising).

-- Edited by markpierce on Thursday 5th of January 2012 11:30:50 PM

Attachments

• looking at you.jpg
    looking at you.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 473
Apophyge wrote:
Anybody have a list of full displacement trawlers in the 40'-45' range?* I previously had a CT35 but didn't think it was big enough to go under the gate.* We bought a Union 36 and sailed to Mexico twice.* Now we're looking for a trawler that will get us to Mexico or Alaska.
*Note that there is no intention to cross an ocean. Coastal cruising with an effort toward watching the weather might save the need for bombproof windows.

-- Edited by Carey on Thursday 5th of January 2012 11:30:51 PM

The owner of sail-less Coot #5 (Cormorant)*is planning this year to*run the vessel from San Diego to Seattle, including a stop in the San Francisco estuary.* The Cormorant's blue stern shows in this view astern Carquinez Coot.

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 6th of January 2012 01:21:54 AM

Attachments

• cormorant stern.jpg
    cormorant stern.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 269
This is interesting...

People mistakenly think that they need a passagemaker to do coastal cruising.

In reality for folks not planning to cross oceans, getting the most comfortable, functional boat they can will probably provide for the happiest long term boating experience.

Maybe thats a passagemaker. But for the OP's stated cruising area, limiting your self to a passagemaker can eliminate some really nice capable, comfortable boats.

I love the look of the Nordhavns. But you don't need one to do coastal cruising; and allot of capable boats in the same size range have ALLOT more interior room.

There was a memorable - to me at least - post on the PMM forum years ago by a fellow who had done a whack of research and had settled on a Nordhavn. As he was about to sign on the dotted line for a new build, he looked at the small cabin sizes, slow speed, minimum side decks, and poor dockside amenities, and said to himself "Whoa..."

He scrapped the Nordhavn plans, bought himself a very nice Grand Banks, and never looked back. As you can probably guess, he had never intended on going offshore.

Krogen 42s are very capable of what you want to do. After all, the only reason anyone crosses an ocean is to go coastal cruising somewhere else. The Krogen's only weak spots are the big saloon windows and the 1/4" windows in the pilothouse. Either of which can be covered with storm plates, but if you just stay out of really snotty weather, no problem.

Conrad wrote:
*As he was about to sign on the dotted line for a new build, he looked at the small cabin sizes, slow speed, minimum side decks, and poor dockside amenities, and said to himself "Whoa..."
* * * * I've cruised on two different Nordhavns & can identify with the above quote. They are a quality boat but not for me.

-- Edited by SeaHorse II on Friday 6th of January 2012 03:38:00 PM

The biggest stretch of open ocean we'll be crossing is from Cabo to Puerta Vallarta and maybe the gulf of Tuhuanapec. We had the Union set up to cross to the Marquessas but the auxillary blew and we had to rebuild it in La Paz... friends left without us and then we were needed at home. The moment has passed and we no longer feel the compulsion to cruise the South Pacific. That said, we still like the full displacement hull, Europa styling and single engine configuration. I've seen some great boats while cruising and they all have their points, good and bad, but picking a boat is like picking an anchor. (After a few years of cruising I like the anchor and rode on the Carl Vinson.)

There are many of full displacement boats that are not well know so you have to search them out and know what you are looking at/for?* *Choy Lee, Delta, Vic Frank, Offshore, Hansen, Roughwater, Sunnfjord, Cape Horn to mention a few.* There are also many commercial custom full displacement boats that can be capable/comfortable cruising boats. To cruise the Pacific coast and as you head north will probable require a more capable long range boat as larger fuel, heat, water, sanitation, storage ground tackle and stability are required.* *******
Also walk the commercial/pleasure docks and yards to see what boats look like below the water line. You might decide that best suits is still a sail boat.* **The is a Seattle Boat Show and Afloat show that most of the trawler will be there, January 27 thru Feb 5.* If you plan on going let me know.

Someone enjoyed New Years aboard their Nordhavn 68(?) in the lagoon at Bora Bora.

Attachments

• dsc02200.jpg
    dsc02200.jpg
    135.7 KB · Views: 210
I don't know if this fits your budget, but if it fit mine...

She's a 2002 Sunnfjord 49' Pilothouse. $389,000.

Check her out in detail at discoveryyachts.net

Attachments

• 545834_0_080620101113_1.jpg
    545834_0_080620101113_1.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 272
Conrad wrote:
... and had settled on a Nordhavn. As he was about to sign on the dotted line for a new build, he looked at the small cabin sizes, slow speed, minimum side decks, and poor dockside amenities, and said to himself "Whoa..."
*Sounds like us.* Our short list came down to Nordhavn, Krogen, and Selene.* The Nordie lost because of many of these listed issues, but mostly because until you get over 47' (except the no longer produced 46) you don't get any walkaround side decks.* The KK lost out mostly because I wasn't happy with the engine room.* The Selene has everything we wanted end ended up being right for us.*

Once you narrow your list down to boats that are capable of doing what you want it becomes pretty subjective.

Dave

-- Edited by magicbus on Saturday 7th of January 2012 02:10:07 PM

magicbus wrote:...* The Nordie lost because of many of these listed issues, but mostly because until you get over 47' (except the no longer produced 46) you don't get any walkaround side decks. ...

*360-degree walkaround decks were on my list of "gotta haves."

Attachments

• img_0991.jpg
    img_0991.jpg
    77.3 KB · Views: 90
Bob,

Go on yacht world and look at hundreds of boats. ALL kinds of boats including full displacement boats. There's a 40 some foot Devlin that's real sweet and other boats made in excellent small yards from Maine to the Philippines.

Also check out this site*http://www.tadroberts.ca/

Eric Henning

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Saturday 7th of January 2012 03:48:53 PM

Having*walked on many Nordhavn side decks, all I can say is it must have been a dream.

We own a Willard 40 Vega. Northstar is #2 of*three*widebody boats*made by Willard Marine*in the late 70's. Total production for the 40 footers was fewer than two dozen. These boats were built stout, with a full displacement hull and*a deep keel that runs*from stem to her rounded stern. Northstar carries 600 gals of fuel*for a*range of well over 2000 nm and*300 gals of water. Willards are great coastal cruisers, but so too are the Krogens and other boats* mentioned here. My favorite is still the Nordhavn 46 -- a true passagemaker and a modern classic, for sure!

Attachments

• alaska 2009 160.jpg
    alaska 2009 160.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 119
My favorite is still the Nordhavn 46 -- a true passagemaker and a modern classic, for sure!

There is an almost new one on our dock.

Asking $750,000 , been to Tahiti , so far.

Come take it away,

sunchaser wrote:
Having*walked on many Nordhavn side decks, all I can say is it must have been a dream.
Well then it's time to wake up and stop dreaming about old Nordies! *Only the out-of-production 50 and 57 models allowed you to do a 360° walkaround. *I thought you could on the older 46, but apparently not. *

It is an interesting marketing decision to expand the saloon 16" in favor of dual side decks. *On the 43 and 47's we looked at seriously, the one available "side deck" is a toe ledge with a hand rail. *The thought of losing someone over the side between the boat and a dock as they transitioned gave me nightmares.

Dave

Fred says *"My favorite is still the Nordhavn 46"

I FULLY agree Fred. Style wise I do'nt care for ANY other Nordhavn's at all. The book Voyaging Under Power has a N46 on the cover and I ca'nt turn my eyes away from that picture very quickly. We even have an N46 here in Craig. Look at the interesting way this guy hangs his fenders. It's one of the very few trawler yachts that has a sensible amount of power. Also I think walk around decks on a small boat is stupid. I've got one and could REALLY use the cabin space. A way to get fore and aft is a must but we do'nt need full walk around decks at all.

Eric

-- Edited by nomadwilly on Sunday 8th of January 2012 11:30:55 AM

Attachments

• sth71903.jpg
    sth71903.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 106
Not sure I understand why side decks are important? My 40' trawler is a widebody -- no side decks -- and I can't think of a time when I missed them. Though I suppose it would be more convenient to walk from astern to the bow without*going through the boat's interior...Also, side decks provide*more* surface area to catch*boarding seas! That said, covered side decks do provide*good*protection to the saloon*from rain*(leaky windows) and bright sun (cooler interior).

I have to say that having the additional interior room would be preferential, given the little bit of time I spend on deck.

Ahh, so 360 degrees is the benchmark. Well throw out the Selene 57 I was on last month, it had no port side deck. And chuck out**several trawler models of Krogen, North Pacific, OA* AT and NT**for lacking the 360 walk around.

Even though our current vessel is 360 degrees for side deck access, I have been on so many really nice asymetrical designs, it seems an overblown desirement provided you have good safe access for fender tie downs and rope work.

The earlier Nordhavn 62s were 360 but most later new builds were asymetrical by overwhelming customer demand. The Nordhaven 57 is ideal to me, it has a salon push out to port*but then the sidedeck resumes right at the port side galley door.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom