Are you an all Weather Trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We do travel in the rain. Wind strength and direction are more of an issue. That said, we sometimes delay travel if strong thunderstorms are likely.

Don

Only sea conditions

The great thing about a trawler is if you have a generator and radar the inside helm will allow you to go in comfort, no matter the weather. I try to avoid any forecast over 2-3 ft but not being retired I sometimes push that farther than I should to meet time constraints.

It hardly rains here, so avoiding rain makes little dent in the boating season.

Neither rain nor sleet nor dark of night.....well, you get it.

Funny story...when I bought my first boat in WA it was a 20' open bow I bought in Edmonds and trailered home on January 31. On Feb 2nd I was on the water with it. About 30*, snowing, blowing like crazy and I had to unzip the canvas over the window to stick my head out to see where I was going. GREAT DAY on the water.

Now, we don't let weather stop us.

Are you a all Weather Trawler?

In the PNW, just about starting the end of sunshine. I like the winter, empty anchorages, less traffic near ports and cities, nobody blocking the fuel dock. Better than summer for someone like me.

Same here. We go south Puget sound more in the winter but as long as the winds aren't too bad which depends on direction as well as strength, we go. Last week we spent a few days anchored out in Gig Harbor. Very quiet this time of year. We saw Mahalo anchored out too. Third time this year. He's following us. :)

Couple of weeks from now we want to head to Poulsbo or maybe Langley.

Cool & rainy fall weather means the Humpback Whale numbers jump near Kitimat, at the head of Douglas Channel. We saw 15 a couple weekends ago, just 5 Km from the marina. We hung out with them for hours and two came over to investigate our boat a couple times :thumb:

They don't bubble net feed here. They usually form straight lines in groups of 2 to 4 (although we've seen up to 8 in a line) and feed really deep. They stay down for about 7 minutes and when they come up to breath their throat pouches are already contracted. Any guesses what they're feeding on?

Next time one dives and poops next to the boat (spectacularly orange gushers) I'll try to scoop some up and investigate :eek:

While on deliveries anything short of dangerous conditions are a go.

Attachments

• 9 ICE.jpg
    9 ICE.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 114
  • 7 ICE.jpg
    7 ICE.jpg
    144.3 KB · Views: 112
  • 8 ICE.jpg
    8 ICE.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 137
  • 3 ICE.jpg
    3 ICE.jpg
    75.5 KB · Views: 113
The Admiral dislikes docking in any conditions. We enjoy marina life and I go fishing right off boat. If I have any small ones around, Mr. Ron has Par lights going at night and there is always something biting. They don’t care! We have gotten a reasonable number of Speckked trout, sandies and a unlimited number of hard head catfish, and the other odds and ends. If I go off to the other fishing spots around the island, it is great to come back, have a shower, cold beverage (or hot as temps cool) and sleep in clean sheets.
We absolutely love the trawler lifestyle, and plan to take her out more in light winds and seas. Yes, boss, tossing lines means tying up when we get back!

What's the saying? "A man who would go to sea for pleasure would go to hell as a pastime."

As others from northern climes have observed, the season is short enough without needless weather aborts. In New England, as long as it's safe out there, pull up the hook! (unless the wife vetoes the idea...)

We go in just about anything as we have no fog but prefer those beautiful days. Rain means the lower station which I don’t prefer. I’ve been caught in ten foot seas in my other boat coming back to the US from the Bahamas, the boat will take more than I can. Heavy seas means I better be prepared for bitching.

We run ICW in vintage 42' PH trawler 365 live aboard 3 zone heat/cool very comfortable.

Great day for a cruise 50 Deg. 30kn west. Heats on , wipers keeping time
CBF94EBE-930A-4A42-8FA2-0F05250A9E7D.jpg

Sunny weather is a plus. But it doesn`t matter if you are in a good mood for a sail.

Here's an oblique answer:

Light going through 1" of relatively soft sea ice, doing 6 knots at 1000 rpm and 80% propeller pitch. I'm outside filming while the ex takes her close by the Petterson wharf on radar, northbound out of Moss.

Boating is supposed to be fun. If one has to have a 'throw up' bucket, close at hand, it's not fun, IMO.

We boat in rain and fog without heistation. Seastate would be our primary factor. Size of swell, chop and prevailing direction dictate "go/no-go". Taking 6-8's on the nose between 10 and 2, is much different than a 5 ft following sea. If the wind is high, but I'll be sheltered in the lee of a landmass, then high winds never give the seas a chance to build.

I'm with you "boating is suppose to be fun" guys.... and prefer nice weather.

An occasional run in the rain or cold isn't bad to get to the destination, but high seas is a no go for me. Rain is not much of an issue unless really heavy and that and fog and show stoppers.

But in the weather it's a must to have wipers, radar, perhaps an autopilot and heat if needed, etc.

I fly down to Seattle Friday to pick up our new boat and deliver it to Alaska. In November.
Keep an eye on WindyTV for the next 2 weeks and you can see the weather we boat in.

I fly down to Seattle Friday to pick up our new boat and deliver it to Alaska. In November.
Keep an eye on WindyTV for the next 2 weeks and you can see the weather we boat in.

What type of boat?

Lots of differing viewpoints here. Some mention temperature or precipitation but the sea state is usually the deciding factor.

We all like to have fun on the water but we all have fun in differing ways. Often our (or the crew’s) susceptibility to seasickness the is the deciding factor. I try to match the crew to the sea conditions to avoid it being a limiting factor.

It’s interesting how some boats are limited by waves on the stern and others prefer waves on the stern. Makes me wonder why the majority of boats have a square stern.

Wifey B: AusCan hit it. Sea State. We don't care if it's raining. We care what the seas are like vs. the boat we're in. As to cold, we'll keep going in the 50's and even 40's but not our preference. We don't cruise in hurricanes. :rolleyes: When we lived in NC, we just longed for a decent day to get out. In January, that meant anything 40 degrees or more. We even boated some in the snow. :D

We are liveAboards so rain doesn't keep us pier side. Wind, fog, and 3 foot waves will keep us tied up to wait for better weather.

Lots of differing viewpoints here. Some mention temperature or precipitation but the sea state is usually the deciding factor.

We all like to have fun on the water but we all have fun in differing ways. Often our (or the crew’s) susceptibility to seasickness the is the deciding factor. I try to match the crew to the sea conditions to avoid it being a limiting factor.

It’s interesting how some boats are limited by waves on the stern and others prefer waves on the stern. Makes me wonder why the majority of boats have a square stern.

In my case, b/c I boat in the relatively protected waters of the SF Bay and CA Delta while fishing, swimming and cruising. A square transom with a large cockpit close to the water is a big plus for me. :dance: :D

That being said, I've recently been in local delta waters rough enough to rip off my 2 yr old rubrail! Never thought that would happen! :eek:

When we were cruising full time, sea state was the only deciding factor. We are pleasure boaters, in that order. Cold, fog, rain, snow... all a pleasure in easy seas on our old Hatteras.

I’ve never seen a three foot wave that put the fear of God in me. I agree with Wifey B.

Depends on the waves, now doesn't it?

Wifey B: Yes, but at 3' I haven't ever found one that would make me stay in. Maybe if it was 3' at 1/2 second. I've seen some 3' Chesapeake Chop that was a bit rough but even that wouldn't keep me in. :)

"All weather" must also include the skill of 'captain' and crew.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom