Engine

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Larry Scheer

I am interested and finding a 60 to 90hp diesel with transmission. I have been looking at Yanmar and Perkins to go in a sailboat in the Virgin Islands. I also am getting more interested in possibly getting a trawler for use in St John VI.

Welcome to the forum! Might consider Kabota / Westerbeke.

Ted

Welcome aboard. What engine is in there now?

I had a Westerbeke 60. It was removed when it locked up. Was the original engine. Not rebuildable.

The Kabota have a good reputation and frequently are less costly than other marinizations.

Best is they are mostly lawn , farm vehicle or other utility engines.

This means parts are cheaper and may be available for longer .

With good engine selection you should be able to use the existing shaft and prop .

As most engines are near same power per cubic inch (non turbo) the engine size can sometimes be smaller and lighter for the same cruise speed , and better fuel use.

Most important is to start with a known , boats cruise RPM and existing transmission ratio.

Beta Marine
https://www.betamarinenc.com/

Beta Marine provides quality marine propulsion diesels engines to suit a wide range of applications at very competitive prices.‎Engines · ‎Beta 20 · ‎Beta 43 · ‎Beta 75

Moved thread from 'Welcome Mat' to "General Discussion"

I would look at a Beta. They are "mostly" Kubota based. Another option would be a Volvo-Penta D2 series engine. Both Beta and Volvo-Penta have engines in the power range you are considering.

"Both Beta and Volvo-Penta have engines in the power range you are considering."

True , but Volvo may only source parts while selling that engine new, and be little help in a week or two.

have seen several 4 cyl/90hp fords in several sailboats over the yrs, with happy skippers...clyde

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom