Want to reduce stair step slipping?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good tip. I used some on my shed doorway. There's a bit of a ramp there to get the snowblower in and out, and my wife slipped and almost broke a bone one winter when I was out of town (on a boat delivery in a warmer climate, of course!). Scary! I put that stuff down as soon as I got home. It's saved me a few times, too!

I saw this on Amazon today and thought I should share it with the rest of the world. A roll of tape with grip grit on either side of a glow in the dark strip. That way your steps glow all night after being charged up during the day. No wires, cables or batteries.

https://www.amazon.com/Anti-Slip-Grip-Tape-Glow-Dark/dp/B01MQDUJ6S

A word of caution on some of this stuff. It can be very rough on bare feet and hands. Some of this type stuff seems to have either metal or glass embedded in it. I have gotten some in my hands before when I used a step to help myself up. Hurt like hell.

The "Holy Grail" of anti-skid is something aggressive enough that you do not slip under even the worst conditions, but also smooth enough that it doesn't hurt bare hands and feet. I don't think anyone has yet found that perfect balance point between the conflicting criteria.

The "Holy Grail" of anti-skid is something aggressive enough that you do not slip under even the worst conditions, but also smooth enough that it doesn't hurt bare hands and feet. I don't think anyone has yet found that perfect balance point between the conflicting criteria.

Teak? ;)

It looks like it works better than it looks. ;)

Bought some for general use. After I got it I decided yes at home and no for boat. It's like 20 grit sandpaper. Really good stuff though when used in the right place. For varnished steps I have had good results using sea salt crystals sprinkled on wet varnish. Let the varnish dry and then clean with water which melts the salt leaving a nice textured finish.

I know sand in the paint is a traditional non-skid approach for decks. For interior use, not sure. I would think that some sand would come up and out of the paint/varnish over time and leave grit on the rest of the floor as it wears down from use maybe? As for glow pieces in the paint, haven't a clue! On your own there...!

Back
Top Bottom