View Single Post
Old 10-21-2018, 04:19 PM   #27
stubones99
Guru

City: Melbourne, FL
Amazon Kindle e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
Get a Kindle, download all the manuals for your boat that you don't have hard copies of, save the on your computer in pdf format and load them onto the Kindle.

Then go shopping on Amazon and find all of the books you want. They are usually cheaper to buy and download than buying the hard copy books and don't take up any room on the boat.

I have an online account through a local library on my Kindle and through it I can access online libraries where I can search for titles, authors, topics, etc. I've downloaded and read almost 400 books in the past 4 years that I've had the Kindle and I'm just scratching the surface of what's available. When I get them from the online libraries I can usually have them for 21 days then they disappear off the Kindle. I don't think I've ever taken 21 days to read one of their books.

Can you tell I think it's a great way to go?
As a kindle author, You don't need a dedicated kindle device to read your kindle books. Any phone, tablet, PC, Mac, laptop, etc., will do.

In many cases, a Kindle will have lower resolution (and only black and white images) even if the images are in color by the author. So, there are some cases where a laptop or PC, or even iPad would be better than a kindle device.

An Amazon Kindle paperwhite is their best device yet, with the newer ones not as good as the latest paperwhite device, but they have incredible battery life. At the price, it is hard to not choose a Kindle fire tablet over a paperwhite, but the kindle fire device battery will need charging every few days, compared to a month or so with a paperwhite.

It irks me that Amazon won't fix the search problems on Kindle, so you can't search for anything with a symbol, like 50% since they strip off any symbol off your search keyword. They don't handle search phrases, only keywords. Their tech support says "just like google" but in reality, even BING is better than Amazon kindle search features.

There is a "send to kindle" app you can download off Amazon.com to format anything for shipping to your Kindle reader devices. While you can send a PDF to a kindle, it is hard to scale it where you can read it, compared to a tablet with Adobe reader installed.
stubones99 is offline   Reply With Quote