TF Burgee

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to get drummed out of the corp for highjacking other peoples art so my apologies. Still playing, rough draft, combined rochepoint's anchor and the nice Bacchus swallowtail. I bulked it up a little and made it thicker as was suggested. Not sure if a logo should be centered on a burgee, offset towards the staff? Tried to make the logo as large as possible but may have gone too far with it. This would work as a one sided burgee, mirror image on other side, which will keep the cost down a bit. Anyway, just another shot at it and again my apologies to rochepoint and Bacchus.
firstbase
No apologies necessary - at least as far as I'm concerned - actually I stole the background & concept Wayfarer posted all I added was some refinements.
I like to think we are building on each others ideas vs stealing.
There is a wide range of graphic / techie capability here - not everyone is able to manipulate / modify these designs.
If we can ever decide on a design we will likely need to find someone to produce a good clean, high quality digital file to provide to the flag maker or pay them to do it for us?

An additional thought I had after seeing these and reading some of the comments - wonder if anyone that doesn't want to or have the location for a Burgee would prefer a decent sized decal to place on a dock side window or vehicle with the same logo & burgee shape?

I did some digging and find the specs for both the "Red" and Gold colors used on the TF site. I juts don't know how to modify / manipulate the image to duplicate them - although the recent design red looks like a very good match.

"Red" (r, g, b, a) = 132, 14, 14, 1

The speced gold accent on the website is
Gold (r, g, b, a) = 189, 147, 71, 1

But it seems a little dull and could use some adjusting
r, g, b = 238, 186, 55 looks better

now if I could only figure out how to cut / pastE color swatches !!!

Got it will attach a color swatch as an example - can fine tune if necessary
This is the exact TF Maroon and a gold a little brighter than the website horizontal bar accents

Attachments

• Colors 1.png
    Colors 1.png
    58.5 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
When I ordered my flag I uploaded the art work and used it as is. However, one of the options was for them to clean it up for a small fee. From what I see I think we have enough artists to come up with a good final product. As for the mention of t-shirts, decals etc., once we have the logo the sky's the limit on available items.

On the RGB numbers, it's easy to edit. I will play and post what I come up with.

Here it is with the adjusted RGB values. Subtle difference in the red. You were correct on the first set of gold values, very dull. Almost brown. I used your second set. One caveat, everyone has a different computer. May appear different on each.

Attachments

• TF Anchor Logo Burgee 2 RGB.jpg
    TF Anchor Logo Burgee 2 RGB.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 191
Last edited:
firstbase
No apologies necessary - at least as far as I'm concerned - actually I stole the background & concept Wayfarer posted all I added was some refinements.
I like to think we are building on each others ideas vs stealing.
There is a wide range of graphic / techie capability here - not everyone is able to manipulate / modify these designs.
If we can ever decide on a design we will likely need to find someone to produce a good clean, high quality digital file to provide to the flag maker or pay them to do it for us?

No apologies needed here either. I was just glad you all liked the idea. Feel free to make changes. Apologies to Rochepoint for not getting the new TF anchor pasted onto the background in a reasonable amount of time, and thanks to firstbase for tackling that.

I'm just glad you're making it the color of my boat! That's very thoughtful of y'all.

I'm laughing because I thought of that already! Read your comment about the SFB Bridge yesterday and was thinking that all of this fits your color scheme.

Here is another. Sort of played with the logo, cut the sharp edges off the serifs, made the logo smaller. Just playing.

Attachments

• TF Anchor Logo Burgee RGB smaller.jpg
    TF Anchor Logo Burgee RGB smaller.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 191
Here is another. Sort of played with the logo, cut the sharp edges off the serifs, made the logo smaller. Just playing.

I like the direction this is going. Each proposal seems a little better than the last. Keep the price reasonable and I'm in!

I like it a bit less serif-y.

A bit more fiddling. I kind of like having a bit of outline around the logo. Maybe not quite as thick and clumsy as I've done here, but I think it makes it pop a bit.

Attachments

• Black outline.jpg
    Black outline.jpg
    18 KB · Views: 172

A bit more fiddling. I kind of like having a bit of outline around the logo. Maybe not quite as thick and clumsy as I've done here, but I think it makes it pop a bit.

Looks good to me. I need a bit of color on the new boat.

I'm generally an outline guy as well. Makes things a little more 3D. Here is the same but in white.

Attachments

• White outline.jpg
    White outline.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 166
I'm generally an outline guy as well. Makes things a little more 3D. Here is the same but in white.
I'm assuming the gold will fade or at least lighten over time. Think the black outlines work better.

Ted

I like the black outlines but think the logo needs to be bigger and closer to the staff end. If this were the final design, I would suggest letting a pennant company make the size adjustments. When having an outside sign made for my store, the sign maker was emphatic that what looked good on paper would look to small on the sign. Deferring to his experience, we went with the larger size letters. He of course was correct. Think it will be "larger is better" here also.

Ted

Ted
Agree w your fine tuning.
I'm guessing that placing it at the the center of the area might be right... IOW closer to the shaft so the area to the left is equal to the area on the right.
It's too early to think through where that is mathematically for a triangle no less a swallow tail... need more coffee.

Anyone know if longer, thinner ones snap less in a breeze? Or shapes, ratios in general?

Less wear and tear, longer life.

Actually, while I like the black outline version, to be correct colors should not touch another color but white. We TFers do want to be correct. Don't we?

Actually, while I like the black outline version, to be correct colors should not touch another color but white. We TFers do want to be correct. Don't we?

Apparently you don't remember much from the TF Rendezvous do you.

Ted

Agree with everyone. I am just throwing up the low-res artwork/options good or not so good so everyone can see and choose. Wayfarer the same I believe.

Have something else to take into account...I think.. Every online flag company I find has a different shape/length swallowtail. Our designs so far have a gold border. To keep price down we want it printed not embroidered. That means our uploaded art work has to match the swallowtail shape exactly in order to print the border. Not as easy as it may sound as I have tried. The online design programs they use are not full of functions and I have yet to see an "Add A Border" function.

One option is to place the art we are looking at in here inside a white border. The gold border we have would be inside the edges of the burgee an 1" or so. Still have to have our swallowtail match theirs in angle and length but somewhat easier. That way we just upload the art, center it however, and off we go. In playing around with it I found that building another white stripe between our gold border and the red field looked nice and matched the outside white border. Made the design pop a little.

Second option, if we want the final outside border to be gold, would be to find a company with a fabric that matches our gold exactly and let that be the unprinted border. I bet next to impossible.

Again, one of us can walk into a flag company and do whatever we want with no problem but would require more $$$. Just trying to keep the cost down and make it easy to purchase.

I hope all of that made sense! I may be wrong as I'm certainly no expert on this. Just know what I encountered when I made mine up.

Last edited:
I don't know but wonder if a gold nylon cut out / applied ob both sides is possible w this design. If so the accent might be the zig zag stitching around the anchor cut out. Also wonder if the same nylon could be used as the binding at edge... again w accent zig zag stitch.
I have seen good quality and good durability burgees done w this approach. Embroidery will likely be cost prohibitive but I dont have a sense for how durable printing would be.
Im sure a flag burgee maker can provide some answers / options

Greetings,
Mr. ps. raises an interesting question. Shape. "Less wear and tear, longer life." How about a round end?

th

Forget about the design on these examples , flip the burgee 90 degrees CCW so the end is: ) rather than < or >.

Would provide a very distinctive shape identifiable from a distance.

I don't know but wonder if a gold nylon cut out / applied ob both sides is possible w this design. If so the accent might be the zig zag stitching around the anchor cut out. Also wonder if the same nylon could be used as the binding at edge... again w accent zig zag stitch.
I have seen good quality and good durability burgees done w this approach. Embroidery will likely be cost prohibitive but I dont have a sense for how durable printing would be.
Im sure a flag burgee maker can provide some answers / options

Yes, all of that can be done but at cost and effort. If we want to go to a flag maker directly then the sky is the limit and we should let them come up with the design based on our comments. Binding, cutouts, etc. need a one on one with the company.

Greetings,
Mr. ps. raises an interesting question. Shape. "Less wear and tear, longer life." How about a round end?

th

Forget about the design on these examples , flip the burgee 90 degrees CCW so the end is: ) rather than < or >.

Would provide a very distinctive shape identifiable from a distance.

The companies I have found do banners in this shape. Don't know if we could take one of theirs and flip it around into a burgee. Could ask them. The other question is size. The banner designs or options I have seen are rather large. Don't know really but will check. Of the simple options I would think the rectangle flag shape would last the longest as their are no points to whip in the wind, just the corners.

Don't shoot me for the down and dirty poor artwork on this one, just a concept to show the white border and stripe. Food for thought....

Attachments

• TF Anchor Logo Burgee 2 RGB white border.jpg
    TF Anchor Logo Burgee 2 RGB white border.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 36
Apparently you don't remember much from the TF Rendezvous do you.

Ted

Actually Ted, now that you have reminded me, I do recall something about it. The rest is just a blur.

BTW, I am on the boat now through Tuesday. I checked with the marina over the weekend to see how many reservations were made for 2019. Wouldn't you know the computers were down. They seem to always be down on the weekends. So, I'll check again Monday. That way you will know "your special slip assignment".:D

Greetings,
Mr. fb. I understand about the banners and agree, much too large. So do the flag companies buy already made "blanks" and print/sew on them? If the burgees are made totally in house, I wonder how difficult it would be to simply hem a rounded end. No overlapping seams at the corners because, essentially no corners.

Greetings,
Mr. fb. I understand about the banners and agree, much too large. So do the flag companies buy already made "blanks" and print/sew on them? If the burgees are made totally in house, I wonder how difficult it would be to simply hem a rounded end. No overlapping seams at the corners because, essentially no corners.

They don't hint at where they get the blanks but I already emailed 2 companies to see if there are other shape options not shown online and to see if they can handle a border without too many problems. I may have time Mon/Tues to go to one of the local West Palm or Ft. Lauderdale companies and ask in person. Online is great but...nothing beats a live human being.

Anyone know if longer, thinner ones snap less in a breeze? Or shapes, ratios in general?

Less wear and tear, longer life.

I read somewhere in the last few days that pennants and swallow tails tend to be more durable than the traditional rectangle shape. I'll be damned if I can find where I read it though.

Agree with everyone. I am just throwing up the low-res artwork/options good or not so good so everyone can see and choose. Wayfarer the same I believe.

Definitely. Just feeding the creative fire.

Don't shoot me for the down and dirty poor artwork on this one, just a concept to show the white border and stripe. Food for thought....

I like he white border and stripe. I'd be perfectly happy with that.

I think once we get a rough concept that we all (more or less) agree on, we should be able to download a template from the flag maker's website, and have a cleaned up final version to send them.

I don't have the skills to make what I'd consider a final product, but my sister is a graphic designer, and that would be a piece of cake for her.

One thing we'd have to agree on, because there are different template sizes, is whether we'd want a 24" or 18" length.

But before we get that far, maybe we should attempt to organize ourselves. I know we have a tendency to be a herd of cats around here, so I'm thinking we could put a deadline for any further design ideas to be submitted. Say the end of the month? Maybe even the end of the year? Then once we have a good pile of them, we can put them to a vote for the final concept. At that rate, we should have something in hand by spring.

Is there a way we can get a message out to all members, so that everyone has a chance to submit ideas?

Agreed, agreed, agreed. On the length, I looked at different combos. My thought was it should be a minimum of 12" high. When I looked at 18" length swallowtail it looked, to me, short and stubby. 12" x 24" looks "correct". On a rectangle flag the 12" X 18" looks fine.

So typical for TF to charge ahead without knowing the ramifications on something they deem important.

No wonder they have mechanical issues atthe worst possible times.

So typical for TF to charge ahead without knowing the ramifications on something they deem important.

No wonder they have mechanical issues atthe worst possible times.

Hey hey hey!! Don't come in here and spoil the fun now! I did think about legal implications somewhere during this process but figured someone would say STOP if it was an issue internally to the website. Everything else is just details :)

Back
Top Bottom