2 part poly question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PMF1984

Guru
Vessel Name
Wanderer
Vessel Make
Pilgrim 40
Hey guys,

I recently did some varnish work, trying out several products to get the right look and a finish that will last more than a year.

I like the look of Epifanes varnish because of the amber glow - but don’t like the short life as I am the one doing the work.

I tried Total Boat Envy from Jamestown Distributors, nice finish, easy to apply -but quirky - it’s a two-part so it should last a while.

I am not enamored of the clear look however.

Anyone know of a two-part poly that has a nice amber glow?

John

Where are you at? What life are you getting? How many coats are you applying?

You should easily go more than a year with Epifanes. Or pretty much anyone’s varnish.

I’m having to think about stripping my stern rail after three years, but that’s because it’s constantly in the Seattle winter weather where it’s exposed constantly and I knowingly did not find time to continue to build coats in years two and three due to other projects or do touch ups at the edges where moisture seeps in. I only got to about 7 coats in year one, not including the oil sealing coat.

My problem is the rain and temp swings that help to open a expand contract window for the moisture to exploit. If you are in the constant sun, that’s a uv issue where you need to renew the uv filters with a yearly top coat. The solution to either kind of issue is yearly top coat to both seal and replace uv, with extra attention to problem areas. But only after achieving a serviceable build of product. Thin builds won’t last a single winter.

I’m in the process of sewing canvas covers for the areas I’m not likely to be 100% up on my chores.

Not getting a year, the problem won’t likely be solved with product choice. There are lots of good products, but none of them are miracles, not even epoxy. I think it’s fair to suggest scrutinizing application first.

I did a bowsprit with traditional varnish, I don't remember the coat #s. The bowsprit was installed in May 2017 and exposed for 12 months (Florida sun in winter) and was shot. I had to do a strip and redid with a two part.

I know about varnish and prep work, just looking for product info on an amber two part. The Total Boat product and Interlux Perfection are both clear.

I don't like the look.

This is purely an aesthetics question.

John

Not a 2 part, but AWLGRIP AWLWOOD 6 coats gives a very nice finish, periodic light sand (200 grit) and coat (1 time 9-12 months) gives a good finish. Initially went down to bare teak, sealed first with primer. Quite a task to do it initially, now just maintaining. IMG_1708.JPGIMG_1709.JPGIMG_1710.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I put Bristol (two part clear urethane) on the cap rail twelve years ago (boat is on Great Lakes so time in sun is about half that). But UV isn't an issue anyway. It's just now starting to lift in a few places, so will strip and reapply this summer. Looks great, amber tone, can be adjusted from highly reflective to satin with an additive. A little finicky to apply. Expensive, but worth it.

http://bristolfinish.us/

There is almost no difference between the red and yellow primer. Red will give you just the slightest hint of red and yellow gives you the slightest hint yellow. Clear on the other hand will give you the darkest shade of brown. I used each color of primer on a different section of my teak so I could determine which color to use. I went with red only because I owned it and I borrowed the yellow from my neighbor. I also owned the clear but I didn’t like it at all.

Hey guys,

I recently did some varnish work, trying out several products to get the right look and a finish that will last more than a year.

I like the look of Epifanes varnish because of the amber glow - but don’t like the short life as I am the one doing the work.

I tried Total Boat Envy from Jamestown Distributors, nice finish, easy to apply -but quirky - it’s a two-part so it should last a while.

I am not enamored of the clear look however.

Anyone know of a two-part poly that has a nice amber glow?

John

Take a tip from the strip cedar canoe builders. Clear polyester resin or epoxy, they always overcoat with a good UV inhibiting varnish.

Do the same with Epifanes and get the hard surface of the poly and the amber glow of the varnish.

My experience with 41 yrs of varnishing on various boats:
In the first 25 yrs I tried every varnish on the market. You tend to get what you pay for. Hence Epifanes, at the high end for price, is my unwavering favourite now. I refinished my deck hatches this fall, as I had a cracked window to replace, for only the second time I have done more than overcoat every second year since buying this boat in 1994. 6 coats of Epifanes this time, so it will last.
I find Epifanes goes on as thick per coat as two coats of almost every other brand and you can overcoat without sanding between if you get to your next coat before the last coat fully cures.

I have a kayak with Epifanes over epoxy. Looks awesome, but it spends all but a few days in my garage.

I built a new back door to my sundeck last winter out of Myrtle. I did CPES, then silvertip epoxy and finally 3 coats of Epifanes. I’m in the trial period on that one, so ask me in 5 years whether I still think it’s a good idea.

My favorite color is Epifanes the over Daly’s teak oil.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom