Ocean Alexander mk1 in Australia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sealeaf

Hi All .
Iam new to this forum and wonder if anyone can be of assistance. Some advice ‘ information on ocean alexander mk1 1982 would be appreciated.She has Detroit 671 engines detuned to 195 hp.We are looking at long range trips and refitting for Southern ocean(west coast Tasmania) and Nth Australia (Kimberly area).She has had a pre purchase survey and we are long term trawler owners ,but can always learn from knowledgeable owners.
Iam currently on the East Coast of Australia and would welcome other OA owners being in contact.
Please bear with me as Ilearn how to use this forum.
Kind regards to all.

Hi All .
Iam new to this forum and wonder if anyone can be of assistance. Some advice ‘ information on ocean alexander mk1 1982 would be appreciated.She has Detroit 671 engines detuned to 195 hp.We are looking at long range trips and refitting for Southern ocean(west coast Tasmania) and Nth Australia (Kimberly area).She has had a pre purchase survey and we are long term trawler owners ,but can always learn from knowledgeable owners.
Iam currently on the East Coast of Australia and would welcome other OA owners being in contact.
Please bear with me as Ilearn how to use this forum.
Kind regards to all.
hi... I'm in Sydney with a Mk1 flushdeck motor yacht...the last built in 1985. was repowered in 1998 with twin Cummins 6bta 370hp. I did a major refit in 2009 and have taken her up to the Reef a couple times and on regular jaunts up the east coast. Happy to help with any questions and yes, quite a few OA Mk1 owners here including one other Aussie at least.

Welcome Sealeaf

My Mk 1 is a 1981, which I re-powered with John Deere's almost 6 years ago. Feel free to ask specific questions. Chances are that Aquabelle, or I, have 'been there, done that'.

Another forum member with a Mk 1 is RobertLeatch, with 'Poseidon' in Sydney and he has Cat 3208's.

There are some other Mk 1's in Australia including a flushdeck owned by the Baddeley's in Brisbane. Ross & Helen Walden own 'Blue Eyes II', which is available for (crewed) charter in Sydney and it has Cummins engines. And then there is 'Barbarian', which has been very nicely refitted. I believe last sold for just under $400k. It has Detroits. It that the one you are looking at? I don't know for sure, but I suspect that it was previously 'Peveril'. It was advertised in Tin Can Bay 5-6 years ago for $595k, probably to recover refit costs, but that was way above market value.

Last edited:
Thanks for the welcome everyone
The vessel is Solquest and is on the Gold Coast.I believe she came from Sydney about 4 yrs ago . I have been told that she may have been in survey at one stage but am not sure.Any info on her history would be greatly appreciated.she does need some work ,but nothing as yet not expected.

Thanks for the friendly welcome.We have a mooring in the Shoalhaven River and will be down that way at the end of November for a month.

Impressive response by fellow OA owners to the new kid on the block! Not surprising though as there are 5 OA owners in my marina and we are all good friends! I think the MK1 was one of the best OAs ever built.

I am traveling to look at a O/A 50 pilothouse next week. While not in Australia, I like the way you owners are right there to help. I hope to be among your ranks soon.

It is amazing how loyal Mk 1 owners are to their boats. I have a 1979 stretched to 55' which makes for a lot more outdoor space as well as a huge lazerette for storage. Recently we had a rendezvous at Port Ludlow, Washington and there were 7 OA MK1 in attendance. It was my first year attending, but it was wonderful to see the differences in the boats and get some ideas.

I was told, the owner of the one I'm traveling to look at, moved to the west coast and basically bought the identical boat over there. If somebody is going to buy the same vessel back to back that speaks volumes.

Back
Top Bottom