dhays
Guru

City: Gig Harbor
Vessel Name: Kinship
Vessel Model: North Pacific 43
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacchus View Post
Dave
FYI I have found it best to run the pump 24/7. At first I tried shutting down o'nite but think it is better on full time.
I can't see where a dip tube w a T and capped ends w a few small holes would be a problem if the stones plug.
If good vents providing sufficient air above the surface works why wouldn't a single stream of air bubbles?

That was my thought as well. I kept thinking about how to get more widely dispersed bubbles, small enough bubbles etc... It finally dawned on me that the reason I am doing it at all is that I can't easily install two decent sized air vents. All the air vents would do is passively exchange the air in the head space above the tank contents. The pump will exchange more air in the tank than passive vents and any bubbling effect will cause some motion in the tank contents and give far better oxygenation of the tank contents than simply two good vents.

I'm still considering a timer on the pump. There is a simple and cheap 12v programmable timer that I can set for just about any on/off pattern. I was thinking going for a 50% duty cycle such as 30 minutes on, 30 minutes off. That would cut the amp draw in half and should extend the life of the pump.

Dave
SPOT page
dhays is offline   Reply With Quote