Boat collides with buoy near CCC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Complacency and boating

Back in my Navy days I was counsel to an admiral investigating the grounding of an aircraft carrier in a northern harbor following a six month yard period. Turns out the crew was so accustomed to going in and out of one particular port (almost daily) that they had actually forgotten how to take the ranges and bearings necessary to safely navigate a large ship through unfamiliar waters (the was many years before the advent of GPS). The damage was not a pretty sight! Neither the captain, the XO, the navigator or the training officer survived the "hit" to their careers.

SCOTT

Your 100% correct: “One more tme at anything doesn't do you in, complacency does”. COMPLACENCY is key, doing something over and over allows one to become complacent.

Hard to tell in the Cape Cod Times photo, but it looks like there is no radar on board.

The trick with high speed ops at night is to realize you are rolling the dice no matter how good you think you are.
Bingo. You 100% dead on nailed it.

BobMc

I do some training of LEOs and when an experienced screws up it is usually something he has done hundreds of times and complacency had him forget his correct procedure. Very sad.

Attachments

• radar1.jpg
    radar1.jpg
    27.6 KB · Views: 36

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom