M/V or M/Y

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
M/V has always been motor vessel in my world....

When calling a bridge use motor yacht or vessel..... or recreational vessel.... or manufacturer....

No one really cares .....except a few who have a strong opinion for sone reason....

While I get the general drift of most here that they are "boats", almost all boat cards I've received from anyone who has a sailboat has S/V Whatever. Any motor vessel card I've received does not have a prefix. When talking with anyone, we call our boats "boats". But for bridge tenders, we always use S/V Whatever. When we move to our trawler, I'd like to know what is correct.

Obviously, many here have already commented. I, too, find M/Y pretentious. My only question (and no one addressed it) is I always thought M/V = Merchant Vessel. Our recreational vessels would not be a "merchant vessel". Can anyone clarify?

On commercial ships:

M/V is Motor Vessel (this would includes tugs, supply vessels, etc. but also, strangely, includes ships in the next below category)
M/S is Motor Ship. (Cargo ships, tankers, cruise or passenger ships)
S/S is Steam Ship. (Saves as above but with different propulsive power)

I don’t find calling my boat a motor yacht is snooty. It is what it is. It’s not a recreational trawler, it’s not a sailboat nor is it a commercial vessel. It’s the best description I know.

I've been hanging out on the Calumet River for the last few weeks listening to the chatter on VHF. Ships, barges and tows are mixing it up with a steady stream of yachts heading for winter storage.

100% of the professionals refer to all non-commercial boats as "pleasure craft" or sometimes just PC. And many PCs identify themselves as pleasure craft when communicating with bridge tenders or towboats. Seems to work for everyone.

On commercial ships:

M/V is Motor Vessel (this would includes tugs, supply vessels, etc. but also, strangely, includes ships in the next below category)
M/S is Motor Ship. (Cargo ships, tankers, cruise or passenger ships)
S/S is Steam Ship. (Saves as above but with different propulsive power)

I don’t find calling my boat a motor yacht is snooty. It is what it is. It’s not a recreational trawler, it’s not a sailboat nor is it a commercial vessel. It’s the best description I know.

It's a motor vessel, or "power boat", which is more universally understood. Even in the Navigation Rules, referred to as a "power-driven vessel".
We cruised for years a Hatteras 56 Motoryacht. Always identified ourselves on the radio as a 56 foot power boat with no confusion whether to the Coast Guard, other boats, bridges or marinas.

The majority of people consider any non-trailerable boats as being yachts, so it is a bit odd that so many owners deny having one. All of us would be part of the priveledged 1% whether we like it or not.

I don't mind my boat being called a yacht, a rag boat, a power boat, a motor sailer, a trawler, a cruiser, whatever.

Whatever it is, I just feel very lucky to have the opportunity to enjoy being on board.

The majority of people consider any non-trailerable boats as being yachts, so it is a bit odd that so many owners deny having one. All of us would be part of the priveledged 1% whether we like it or not.

Not in the US. That's an Aussie thing.

Not in the US. That's an Aussie thing.
Motor Vessel. When I transitioned to power from sail, I guess my terminology did as well. It does convey some general info that might be useful to the receiver - bridge operator planning an opening, for example. My boat sure isn't a "yacht" as I appreciate the word's common usage meaning. Roman Abramovich owns a yacht.

Pleasure Boat! or Work Boat!! Pretty much sums it up...

Worth repeating: "Pleasure" yacht/vessel implies debauchery to me and doesn't differentiate between sailboat and motorboat. Prefer "motor vessel." If believing someone might be confused, I'd say "35-foot motor vessel" or "recreational motor vessel." If necessary, I'd add "... with the yellow pilothouse roof." Whatever comes to mind.

Auscan`s Cuddles 30 with FD,sails,a proper mast,a 4cyl diesel,trawler features,sleeping and living accommodation,etc,covers most classifications.
At least on the east coast, if principally a sailing boat bigger than a sailing dinghy or skiff, it`s called a yacht. Powered boats are powerboats, cruisers,and if large and handsome and maybe opulent too,motor yachts.
A yachtie is an owner or crew of a sailing boat/yacht, but not of a motor yacht.
Trawlers are not the norm in powerboats,and not nearly as popular as planing cruisers, like Rivieras, Maritimos, etc.
More exhaustive is more boring, so that`ll do. As always, there is room for other views.

Last edited:
I do a fair amount of technical writing regarding boats. Two descriptive terms I use: MV for motor vessel, SV for sailing vessel. Don't think I have ever used the term "yacht". Use the same descriptive terms on the radio.

OK, Ok, OK

So... what's the big rub bub??!!

Why so much ongoing narrative as to what "exact word or two" a boat should be called or should not be called as its description??? Are we playing "pin the tail on the donkey"??

When depicting "your" boat in general conversation to another person... how you describe it will usually contain several more than one or two words. And, those words may very well differ considerably - depending on if you are speaking with a sail boater, a power boater, a strictly work boater or a landlubber who knows "0" about boats.

If I were speaking to another boater [of any type]; my description of our Tollycraft would go something like this: "She's a fly bridge pleasure cruiser. Fully outfitted with most live aboard accommodations and, with a planing hull she can move right along if desired. For where and how we boat her 34' length fits perfectly into our desires. And, we love her twin screws for handling in any conditions. Only 2'10" draft too... for getting close to shore!"

If I were talking to a landlubber with "0" boating knowledge: "Our 34' tri cabin pleasure boat is a great cruiser with all sorts of comfortable accommodations. We love spending days at a time on our Tolly."

Regarding emergency calls from any boat [the boat's description may go something like this - I use my own boat in this case... just a sample, not real]:

Mayday, Mayday: Boat on fire. Coordinates are.... This is 34' power boat, beige color. Boat name The Office. Trying to contain fire. Please respond.

I repeat - Mayday, Mayday: Boat on fire. Coordinates are.... This is 34' power boat, beige color. Boat name The Office. Trying to contain fire. Please respond.

I repeat - - - >

Happy Boat-Type-Of-Name Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Last edited:
I've been hanging out on the Calumet River for the last few weeks listening to the chatter on VHF. Ships, barges and tows are mixing it up with a steady stream of yachts heading for winter storage.

100% of the professionals refer to all non-commercial boats as "pleasure craft" or sometimes just PC. And many PCs identify themselves as pleasure craft when communicating with bridge tenders or towboats. Seems to work for everyone.

Pleasure craft is pretty much all we heard, too, on the Illinois, Mississippi and Ohio rivers, so we identified ourselves as such when talking to tows, bridges and locks. When we got to the Tennessee the lock operators called us rec boats, meaning recreational . . . so we did the same.

Thread Creep warning

Art

Seriously? You would take all that time, three times, telling whomever is listening all those details, when in the same amount of time you might have extinguished that fire? Now it is beyond saving and you have a real Mayday on your hands.

Something more like: " Mayday, Mayday, Mayday, Fire, Fire, Fire. The Office, The Office. The Office.

Then, fight the fire. If you get a break. because you have successfully put it out, or you have abandoned ship, go back for a second call.

Notice there is no mention of MV or MY in any of this. With ample time for chatting, sure thing, but you don't have that luxury in a Mayday situation.

Thread Creep warning

Art

Seriously? You would take all that time, three times, telling whomever is listening all those details, when in the same amount of time you might have extinguished that fire? Now it is beyond saving and you have a real Mayday on your hands.

Something more like: " Mayday, Mayday, Mayday, Fire, Fire, Fire. The Office, The Office. The Office.

Then, fight the fire. If you get a break. because you have successfully put it out, or you have abandoned ship, go back for a second call.

Notice there is no mention of MV or MY in any of this. With ample time for chatting, sure thing, but you don't have that luxury in a Mayday situation.

There would be fire fighting actions already taken and ongoing. What I provided was just a sample of words to use for recognition purposes. Don't get all in a hub bub over a simple post. :facepalm:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom