Try this with a deep v

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Chesapeake Bay, this looks familiar to me, having experienced similar conditions. Twice I have had water constantly slamming the windows hard enough I thought they might break.

RT...that's a beautiful boat...is it a Buddy Davis by any chance ?

Could be a Buddy Davis. Beautiful boat regardless. 30 knots threw a 4 foot chop to get out fishing....... no problem. Put a couple hundred traps on it and it would probably roll. Different boats for different folks.

Chesapeake Bay, this looks familiar to me, having experienced similar conditions. Twice I have had water constantly slamming the windows hard enough I thought they might break.

That will wash the gull poo off! :thumb: / Len

This is Trawler Forum.
Don’t recall any “deep vee” trawlers.

There are plenty of V hull trawlers. Maybe I don't understand the "deep" designation.

There are plenty of V hull trawlers. Maybe I don't understand the "deep" designation.

Probably you didn’t understand the trawler definition.
Deep V hulls are planing hulls. Trawlers don’t plane. Too heavy.

Of course a good deep v could handle it. But with as much "comfort" ??

The first & last videos were "demo vids" by the mfgr I believe.That could be why no names yet.

These are lobster boat hulls designed as work platforms for the Canadian winter fishery. The demo was done in the harbour entrance. Those boats fish up to 50nm. offshore in the winter N. Atlantic.
Conditions can get much worse.
Please note-he wasn't trying to just run in or out with the seas.

He was playing in circles,stopping & lying a-hull like a work boat has to & backing down into snotty conditions that most of us pleasure boaters would not enjoy.

My point is that semi displacement hulls have improved greatly from the plodding 8 knotters of yesteryear.

As for the "Starship" foredeck shape-meh-I'm not big on it.
In my (Fundy) tidal area,it would be hung up on the wharf often.
But,it does shed the spray,without having to add "downeast" spray rails ;)

Len

I give up.

Greetings,
Mr. d. I agree with you on the foredeck shape/design. Water shedding capabilities seem similar to the Carolina style sport fishers. Something ethereal about the shape IMO.

th
A lot of boat plans I have looked at from the 40's through to the 60's sport a flared bow and deep V with an unstayed rudder and props swinging in mid-water. No keel for protection. Just a shaft strut. It seems to have been a popular set up back then for off shore fishing. Most plans show a loaded draft between 24 and 40 inches.

Many sportfish from yesteryear did have stub keels, probably for strength and directional stability...

As vees got deeper and engines got more powerful for their size and weight, it seems the keels have mostly disappeared as the drag is unwanted.

Wasn't the OP just asking us to view a video of a Coast Guard Training vessel?
As a RCMSAR Volunteer, I have been privileged to be on the 29' RIB we at unit 25, Saltspring Island use for both training and rescues in heavy weather.
This video reminds me of my own opportunity to be on the helm in the heaviest weather Georgia Strait can muster, and having an opportunity to learn to ride the wave tops, where the visibility is best, for the Search part of our mandate, was priceless.
Not seen in the video, due to the smaller wave height, was the interesting habit of RIBs to try to "stuff"the bow. which is all too easy, should you come down into the trough too fast. Getting to the scene quickly is the object, how it can be accomplished takes finesse.

So When are you getting one? :socool:

Hey! Been a while!!

Alas, a SWATH hull vessel is out of our budget because we went for 'happy & humble' instead of rich...

We played in Gardner Canal this summer...where did you get to?

Deep fee made for rough stuff

This thread is very confusing
The original deepvee design by. C Raymond Hunt , Moppie built for the Miami’s -Nassau race proved that a deepvee could run at speed faster and safer than any other design. It made Bertram the company it became. For high speed running nothing beats a deepvee hull if you want to get there. It might break you but the boat will get there and fast.
C.raymond hunt also designed another iconic and very popular boat that nobody in their right mind would call a boat for the rough stuff, the original Boston whaler ( the one they sawed I half).
It’s entirely horses for courses , pick your poison.

I would prefer his best design the Concordia yawl .... but that’s another story.
Cheers Warren

There's a huge difference in cruising, running hard in good to bad conditions and survival.

Trying to say any hull is "right", best", or "survivable" in varied conditions is only atrempted by the armchair captain.

A moments inattention by the skipper in certain conditions can sink a boat faster than a good torpedo hit.

Does no one check the weather forecast before heading out ?

I KNOW I can, but, do I HAVE to ?

On 3 occasions I've been caught, once was my own stupid fault for not checking the forecast. second, I was following an 'expert' sailor and thought I'd look like a wimp if I voiced my concerns and the third time was when I was berthed in Lymington, we had visitors with whom we were going with to the Southampton boat show, they wanted to go for a spin on the sea as they'd never been before.
I suggested taking the local train but was overruled, leaving harbours was all oohs and aahs, isn't this lovely, 'I don't know why you're so nervous', after reaching open water and 45 mins of short steep chop there were no more comments. Fortunately I was then able to turn into Southampton water and calmer waters, I offered to make a fried eggs and bacon breakfast for everyone but there were no takers !

“Nassau race proved that a deepvee could run at speed faster and safer than any other design. It made Bertram the company it became.”

But you wouldn’t want to be hauling pots in a 4 foot swell with that Bertram. As said before different designs for different needs.

It’s said that Hunt never received any royalties on the Bertram as he never applied for a patten on the design.

Does no one check the weather forecast before heading out?

There's still no guarantee that the forecast is accurate or the weather won't change quickly.

My dad took me and my brother out one night to do some night dives off the east coast of Florida. He checked the weather and it was 3 to 5 with a moderate chop. We get out about 7 miles out from Sebastian Inlet when the seas kicked up big time. Almost instantly we were free falling to the trough of each wave. It may have been only a second or two but it felt like an eternity. Thankfully my dad's boat was a 25ft Delta and very good in nasty weather. So we slowed down and made it out to where were going without a problem and back.

Back
Top Bottom