Who are y’all using for oil analysis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

roguewave

Guru
Vessel Name
bout’ time
Vessel Make
Grady White 282 Sailfish
Time to test some oil in the twin Cummins 5.9 6bta’s. I need to do two samples from each engine. Thought is ask here before going to the google search.
Thanks

Blackstone Labs

Ted

Blackstone is great. Make sure that you explicitly tell them that it is a marine engine. Otherwise any excessive Na will be reported as antifreeze.

David

Blackstone makes a decent wine too. :)

Blackstone is great. Make sure that you explicitly tell them that it is a marine engine. Otherwise any excessive Na will be reported as antifreeze.

David

In you go on their website, they have a writeable PDF file for boat oil analysis. I use the document, filled out for either my engine, transmission, or generator, and then save it. The next time I do oil analysis on that item, I just use the same document, adjust the date, and hours, before printing.

Ted

Another option I have used and found to be a good choice is JG Labs
I started doing analysis through a local truck / tractor shop but switched to direct w/ JG Labs and they were great importing previous test data so I now have a complete history in one place.

The Pres - Tom Johnson is a retired Transmission Fluids Engineer at Allison.
He is a member here on TF (hzjcm8 is his username at both TF and iRV2) but doesn't post as much as he does over on iRV2 - a popular RV forum.

One advantage of LG Labs is they will also do coolant analysis in addition to engine & transmission fluids.

Full disclosure - I have no connection to JG other than a satisfied customer.

Here is an old post from over on iRV2...
"Well this year as I was getting ready to do my annual oil change. ( I always do my oil sample and get the results back before draining my oil.)
I was looking at a forum that was championing Blackstone labs as the go to lab. Well I have been using JG labs. So I decided this was a good chance to find out if you got the same results from both labs. I ordered my sample kit’s. Black stone will send you sample kits and you pay when they run them. JG you by the kits and just send them in to be run. From Blackstone, the standard analysis costs $28.00 and includes the following:SpectralExam: Establishes the levels of wear metals, silicon, and additives present in the oil. Also checks for coolant. Viscosity: Determines the grade of oil. Insolubles: Quantifies the percentage of solids present in the oil. Flashpoint: The flashpoint is the temperature at which the vapors from the oil ignite. When the flash is lower than it should be, it shows a contaminant (usually fuel) is present. They will run a TBN (Total Base Number) test for $10.00 more this measures how much of your additive package is still there (useful if you want to extend oil change).
http://www.blackstone-labs.com/
From JG I bought the Advanced Oil Analysis Kit, $26.95 The Advanced Kit May be used for engines, transmissions, gear boxes, differentials, or refrigerator truck circulation motors.
Includes all of the tests included in the Basic Oil Analysis Kit plus TBN (Total Base Number) for engine oil samples, TAN (Total Acid Number) for non-engine oil samples and Oxidation/Nitration.
http://www.jglubricantservices.com/
I already had a vacuum pump so when I got the kits in I pulled both at the same time. I sample both the engine and the transmission. Taking a good sample is absolutely necessary to getting usable reports. When you feed in the plastic tube never let it hit the bottom of the pan as you will get a bad sample. I measure the dipstick and mark the tube with tape so I know how far to insert it. Both web sites have instructions on how to sample.
Well I have more than a passing interest as I use to work in an oil lab in the AF and was the one running the samples and interoperating what they meant. I am happy to say the results were good and both were basically the same.
One positive for Blackstone is they show historical averages for what you are testing so the average person can tell how they are doing by comparing there results to the average report.
Bill"

Blackstone for the last 15 years.

Caterpillar SOS labs. For my boat and also for our work machines when I used to work.

Blackstone here too.

Blackstone makes a decent wine too. :)

They make it from the leftover oil analysis samples.

I use Lubriport in Kenner Louisiana.

Last edited:
Apologies but I find it a strange custom to analyse your oil so regularly, I've never had to do lab samples, providing you service the engine as per the manufacturers recommendations why would you need to ?
The only time I would sample engine oil would be from a strange truck/boat engine I was thinking of buying, for a quick test simply put a dot of oil on the end of your tongue, if its bitter, don't start the engine, service the engine immediately with flushing oil and then regular oil, if its sweeter then as soon as practically possible.

I do it while cruising to see if I am getting trace antifreeze or fuel in my oil...catch it early to provide better planning and maintenance.

Seeing wear trends also helos as if you can do something relatvely simple versus a major overhaul isnt a bad thing either.

Apologies but I find it a strange custom to analyse your oil so regularly, I've never had to do lab samples, providing you service the engine as per the manufacturers recommendations why would you need to ?
The only time I would sample engine oil would be from a strange truck/boat engine I was thinking of buying, for a quick test simply put a dot of oil on the end of your tongue, if its bitter, don't start the engine, service the engine immediately with flushing oil and then regular oil, if its sweeter then as soon as practically possible.

Catch one problem before it causes a major rebuild and you have probably saved enough money to cover oil analysis for the rest of you life. I have a single engine boat and consider oil analysis a crucial part of preventative maintenance. In the total annual cost of boat ownership, it's nothing. At some point down the road when I sell the boat, it provides a meaningful log of engine, transmission, and generator condition (along with service logs). The log and oil analysis records certainly demonstrate a higher resale value based on premium maintenance.

Ted

Last edited:
When I left the USCG 19 years ago, vibration analysis for aircraft part maintenance (versus time) was under study as the airlines were also looking at it and/or implementing it with FAA approval.

I would have that system installed too if it wasn't cost prohibitive.

Blackstone labs; minimum annually; last five years

I use Caterpillar. Not that I think it is the best lab, but I can get sample bottles locally at a decent price and get results the next day if I drop them off at the Cat dealer.

I use Caterpillar. Not that I think it is the best lab, but I can get sample bottles locally at a decent price and get results the next day if I drop them off at the Cat dealer.

Most CAT people here use them as well, but not with the level of service you get. Pantropic isn't known for speed or doing things when promised.

I started with Caterpillar and can't say whether their analysis is any better or worse than Blackstone. That said, in my area, the document they produce for a customer who does routine oil analysis on the same engine, can best be described as kindergarten with crayons. Blackstone would likely be masters degree approaching doctoral thesis. That was the sole reason I left Caterpillar.

Ted

Ted
I’ve used Cat for over 20 years and it’s very easy to understand, not sure I could understand the “masters” thesis.

Sure you could Irv.....

They dumb it down appropriately....obviously no need on Ted's. ;)

For me, my last sample report came back.... "Oooooh boy, be careful Mr. Scooter...inside you big motor....the big round thingy that turns real fast is rubbing on that bumpy thingy and making little tiny sparkles of metal." :D

Last edited:
Scott. Even that would confuse me. What big round thingy? What bumpy thingy? Line drawing please.

Thanks

Scott. Even that would confuse me. What big round thingy? What bumpy thingy? Line drawing please.

Thanks

Well, if the big round thingy makes it to FT Pierce by Feb..... I will explain it over a tall rum....sloooowly.

Great, it might take a few tall rums for me to understand and I won’t remember in the morning!

We are really looking forward to this years party, even bought a bunch of prizes and Watfa is buying booze presently. Her meal is planned but I’m not privy to the menu but she assures me all will like it (if not she will refund your money).

Back
Top Bottom