The New Grand Banks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BandB

Guru
I readily admit that a couple of years ago I had serious doubts about the survival of the company and even more doubts about the future of the Grand Banks brand. However, they have used the Palm Beach brand to achieve profitability and are showing that they are moving forward now. A few notes:

-They purchased Stuart Yacht Basin for about $3.2 million to give themselves a US presence as 75% of their sales are in the US.
-They've modernized their plant and greatly improved margins.
-They are currently averaging about 20 boat sales per year, the majority of those Palm Beach.
-They will be showing in the Annapolis show in October.

Now, as to the Grand Banks brand. The first new boat in that brand was the 60 which comes in both an open bridge and a skylounge configuration. It will be shown in Annapolis. The boats have gone from planning to completion and now on the water. In fact a 52 is now starting build.

The 60 shows the Palm Beach influence with performance and styling emphasized. They typical trawler devotee is not going to like it. However, today's younger boat buyers are far more likely to be interested than they had become in Grand Banks. They use an infused carbon fiber construction and the 60 is capable of 36 knots at WOT, a 27 knot cruise, 20 knots at only 29 gph and a range of 2500 nm at 10 knots. Now, the real test will be how well it achieves the ride, stability, and performance it claims.

There are a lot of people who have loved Eastbay and Palm Beach and wanted a larger boat with a bridge for family cruising.

I still hate that they basically killed Grand Banks as it was. The traditional design, 20 knot boats, good ride. However, I have to at the same time give them credit for the new boats. They set a design goal and have brought it to fruition. If we were looking for a 60' boat with a bridge, we'd definitely consider it. Maybe since Beneteau calls their boats "Swift Trawlers", this should be labeled a "Performance Trawler" just to drive traditionalists crazy.

I readily admit that a couple of years ago I had serious doubts about the survival of the company and even more doubts about the future of the Grand Banks brand. However, they have used the Palm Beach brand to achieve profitability and are showing that they are moving forward now. A few notes:

-They purchased Stuart Yacht Basin for about $3.2 million to give themselves a US presence as 75% of their sales are in the US.

-They are currently averaging about 20 boat sales per year, the majority of those Palm Beach.

Now, as to the Grand Banks brand. The first new boat in that brand was the 60 which comes in both an open bridge and a skylounge configuration. It will be shown in Annapolis. The boats have gone from planning to completion and now on the water. In fact a 52 is now starting build.

The 60 shows the Palm Beach influence with performance and styling emphasized. They typical trawler devotee is not going to like it. However, today's younger boat buyers are far more likely to be interested than they had become in Grand Banks. They use an infused carbon fiber construction and the 60 is capable of 36 knots at WOT, a 27 knot cruise, 20 knots at only 29 gph and a range of 2500 nm at 10 knots. Now, the real test will be how well it achieves the ride, stability, and performance it claims.

There are a lot of people who have loved Eastbay and Palm Beach and wanted a larger boat with a bridge for family cruising.

I still hate that they basically killed Grand Banks as it was. The traditional design, 20 knot boats, good ride. However, I have to at the same time give them credit for the new boats. They set a design goal and have brought it to fruition. If we were looking for a 60' boat with a bridge, we'd definitely consider it. Maybe since Beneteau calls their boats "Swift Trawlers", this should be labeled a "Performance Trawler" just to drive traditionalists crazy.

I am not experienced as most on here but was on the sky lounge version this past weekend. I have a 42 currently. I really wanted to fall in love and have something to put the extra hours in to possibly get but I just can’t. Nothing on it felt to me as rock solid as I would expect, even with the weight. I missed the feeling also of having a boat where the kids and dog couldn’t slip under the rail. I mean it is a really nice boat but it felt all the charm has left it. I also am a bit confused in the explanations that it would handle really well because of Hull shape “cutting” through the water similar to sale boats, even at high speeds, but at a certain point I don’t understand how the ultimate physics of two bodies of mass (one solid one fluid) coming together and performing with such little weight relative to other boats the same size. Maybe I’m missing something but that was my impression.......oh and $4mm+

I cannot speak to their new design other then I've fished far offshore on a good number of custom Carolina boats and they had absolutely amazing rides in very rough sea conditions. So I wouldn't think it is that hard for a naval architect to not see the benefits there plus put it across 60' and you would see a great ride benefit.
Now this is not to do an apple to orange comparison from planing to displacement, just a note of experience that if I hadn't felt/seen it with my own eyes I too wouldn't understand it myself.

I cannot speak to their new design other then I've fished far offshore on a good number of custom Carolina boats and they had absolutely amazing rides in very rough sea conditions. So I wouldn't think it is that hard for a naval architect to not see the benefits there plus put it across 60' and you would see a great ride benefit.
Now this is not to do an apple to orange comparison from planing to displacement, just a note of experience that if I hadn't felt/seen it with my own eyes I too wouldn't understand it myself.

It's not an attempt to be like the old Grand Banks. In fact, the opposite. I see no indication the current CEO even likes the old boat. Remember, his background is sailboat racing and then owning Palm Beach Yachts, then getting Grand Banks to buy his company and make him CEO. I hate that the old Grand Banks style and type and function boat is dead as a result. However, the company was dead for all practical reasons when these changes were made. Now, it's a Grand Banks for 2018 and beyond. It's based on what they've done with Palm Beach which is where all their sales have been and updating to what consumers of this time are wanting.

They've made significant investment in improving their plant, trying to gain efficiency, and going to new methods. Meanwhile, they've used Palm Beach to keep themselves alive. While selling 20 boats a year isn't that exciting for a company that should be selling twice that, it's very good for a company that was selling fewer than 10 before the restructuring, and the majority of those were Eastbay.

As what I associated with Grand Banks in the past, this boat has no appeal to me. However, standing on it's own as a boat for today's market, I think it could very possibly be a winner.

While I frankly couldn't care less about the new Grand Banks models, I fail to understand the need to imply it's a trawler. Maybe they should embrace the reality of the hull design and call it a "Sport Fish Cruiser ".

Ted

While I frankly couldn't care less about the new Grand Banks models, I fail to understand the need to imply it's a trawler. Maybe they should embrace the reality of the hull design and call it a "Sport Fish Cruiser ".

Ted

I was joking about any trawler implication. Clearly it isn't by any definition.

Hi BandB

"Performance Trawler"

An interesting new boat type when "Trawler" is so popular. Here in Europe a lot of ordinary high-speed motor boats have the added name "Trawler" apparently sells better?

Only fast "trawlering" :D
NBs

Hi BandB

"Performance Trawler"

An interesting new boat type when "Trawler" is so popular. Here in Europe a lot of ordinary high-speed motor boats have the added name "Trawler" apparently sells better?

Only fast "trawlering" :D
NBs

They don't call it a performance trawler. I said that as a joke, meaning if Beneteau calls theirs a Swift Trawler then this would be Performance. I apologize for not typing "Just Kidding" as I just didn't think anyone would confuse it with a trawler.

They don't call it a performance trawler. I said that as a joke, meaning if Beneteau calls theirs a Swift Trawler then this would be Performance. I apologize for not typing "Just Kidding" as I just didn't think anyone would confuse it with a trawler.

Seems to me I now have to dream about flemings, Marlows or hunt oceans.......

Seems to me I now have to dream about flemings, Marlows or hunt oceans.......

Why? All of those are planing boats as well. I happen to like what I've seen of the GB60, especially the aft cabin version if you can work out a boat deck for the tender. Nice aft deck there too, which is our favorite "room" on a boat. I'd definitely put it in the mix if/when we were to go shopping for something in that size class, which the Lord willing, will be in about another year. Of course, won't be many used ones yet at that point, but if the stars align right on a couple of deals, who knows?

Did anyone mention the new 60 is powered by two Volvo Penta IPS pod drives?
Run away!

Actually there's a choice between pod drives and straight drives. I'd have no hesitancy toward either although they wouldn't be my first choice.

In my GB I have yanmar 465s so it moves.....just turned 40 with 2 kids and work so still have some need for speed, albeit not as much as my old legacy

We clearly love speed but most here don't so much. I think, however, more potential boat buyers like it than disavow it.

Great topic. My first experience with GB was their 50' trawler with a wood hull. Now THAT was a yacht - sexy in every way. To me, that's Grand Banks. I also very much liked the Aleution (sp) 53.

As for the new Grand Banks, I don't think they are the old brand, and I'm not sure what they are doing with the new brand. I don't think they had a competitor before - they were so unique and sort of wrote the rule book. Now, they have put themselves in a position where they are competing with others.

When you are spending that kind of money - Fleming certainly tops the short list if you are fortunate enough to own a checkbook like that. I saw an Aleution 53 for sale - and it was insanely stunning. In new condition. If I were in the market it would have been a no-brainer.

I can hear your many thoughts in your words. I think GB lovers feel as you do. Lots of pondering to do. I suggest whittling on the porch or drinking lots of booze on the dock while you ponder ;-)

Just my SSO.

I was on the first 60 that came to the US. It was a pretty boat that reminded me more of a sport fisherman than a GB. Everything in the boat is bonded to the hull to save weight, the seats are molded in, cabinets, counters, ect. I thought it was a good idea but it doesn’t have the look that I like. My good friend just took delivery of a new 60 a month ago. He likes it and it’s speed. I bought his old 2015 54 about a year ago. I love his old boat (my boat) and I like it’s speed of 18+ knots cruising. To each his own.

There is a GB 60 in our marina. Looks nice on the outside, but I don't think I will ever hear how she runs, because it never leaves the dock. The BBQ they mounted on the bow gets used at least once every 4 weeks though.

Fletcher. You bring up an interesting point about GBs. Some are really used a lot and some dock queens.

I love our "old" (1987) Grand Banks. I love the 9 knots. I love the varnished rails and interior woodwork. I love the way she handles rough seas. I also love the fact that in retirement, we can take her out almost any time we want and we do.

Fletcher. You bring up an interesting point about GBs. Some are really used a lot and some dock queens.

True on all boats and I'd expect it to be very true on the new Grand Banks. They're targeting families and families have an extremely difficult task in finding the time to boat. Both parents getting time off plus the kids not having activities is hard.

In the US, we're the worst country about vacation time and planning. I've watched companies with US and European operations. The executives in Europe schedule vacations in advance and always take them as scheduled. In the US, most of the time they get interfered with. In Europe they're five weeks, in the US, two weeks a year is standard.

I never criticize those with dock queens, just feel bad for them and wish they could and would change it. I didn't take vacations until I married and then I started asking for more and took every day.

Just my SSO.

I was on the first 60 that came to the US. It was a pretty boat that reminded me more of a sport fisherman than a GB. Everything in the boat is bonded to the hull to save weight, the seats are molded in, cabinets, counters, ect. I thought it was a good idea but it doesn’t have the look that I like. My good friend just took delivery of a new 60 a month ago. He likes it and it’s speed. I bought his old 2015 54 about a year ago. I love his old boat (my boat) and I like it’s speed of 18+ knots cruising. To each his own.

Too bad they stopped making the 54 Europas too - at least there was some resemblance - my guess is material costs.

Too bad they stopped making the 54 Europas too - at least there was some resemblance - my guess is material costs.

There were a lot of problems. Management and ownership issues and squabbles. However, Grand Banks, as it was under it's management, was losing money and in serious danger. They were on a watch list on the Singapore exchange. Simply put, they weren't selling enough at profitable prices to make it. Part of it was their factory in Malaysia wasn't efficient and was costly. However, a huge part was the demand for their boat wasn't there. People weren't looking to pay the price and weren't interested in the high quality finish work. At the same time, they liked boats like the Eastbay and like Palm Beach but were pushing for similar boats with flybridges. I still believe the old designs could have been revived, but they didn't believe that. Regardless, they've done a great job of reviving a faltering company. I didn't believe Mark Richards could do it, but obviously I was wrong there.

Now, i'd love to see them build a 65'. That just might interest me. Similar to their 60' but a bit more space.

Legacy

After I bough my 2015GB Europa (Heritage) I was speaking to some high ups at the high corporate level and I was told that building that boat today would be prohibited money wise. They built too much detail into those boats. Today the Malaysia factory has been modernized to allow less skilled workers to produce a fine product which reduces costs.

Legacy

After I bough my 2015GB Europa (Heritage) I was speaking to some high ups at the high corporate level and I was told that building that boat today would be prohibited money wise. They built too much detail into those boats. Today the Malaysia factory has been modernized to allow less skilled workers to produce a fine product which reduces costs.

I would put it slightly different than they did. Building that same boat today with the same methods they were using in the same factory would be prohibitive. Building anything like that was, which is why the factory was modernized. That factory was two and three years ago very expensive. Their costs were outrageous. Nothing to do with what model, but simply the entire set up. The update of the facility makes the cost reasonable, but compared to other countries, Malaysia isn't a low cost place to manufacture, especially when 75% of the boats get shipped to the US and nearly 100% get shipped somewhere.

Malaysia has some of the finest wood/teak craftsman in the world, the new factory doesn’t require as much of that craftsmanship. Sign of the times I guess but I’m certainly happy I have an old school boat, it has a certain charm and weighs over 80K pounds so it’s not fast like the new 60 but does have a stand up engineroom. LOL

Malaysia has some of the finest wood/teak craftsman in the world, the new factory doesn’t require as much of that craftsmanship. Sign of the times I guess but I’m certainly happy I have an old school boat, it has a certain charm and weighs over 80K pounds so it’s not fast like the new 60 but does have a stand up engineroom. LOL

I like the old and the new. I loved the design of the 65' Aleutian. I like the design of your boat. I still believe either could be built with the quality they had far cheaper than GB was building them not long ago. Even so, I don't know how strong that market would have been had they not let it die. Out of sight, out of mind, and they were very much out of sight for several years. I don't have any doubts about the wood craftsmen in Malaysia. They just weren't utilized in an efficient boat manufacturing operation.

BandB

I agree plus the marketing of the brand was thru dealers, now the company markets it own product. They hired all the GB high volume salespeople of the Old dealers and Mark Richards brought new manufacturing ideas, the old work bays of GB are now all closed in to increase production. Hopefully they will succeed.

Back
Top Bottom