FM antenna near radome??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Waterford

Vessel Name
Waterford
Vessel Make
Nordic Tug 37
I have an older Raymarine E120 radome and I need to mount a new FM antenna. Will it pick up radio interference if I place it on the same mast? What distance is recommended between them? Thanks for your help.

Shakespeare I believe has a distance diagram on their website.

From the Shakespeare website -

Frequently Asked Questions | Shakespeare Marine Antennas

Will metal or other objects that are close to the antenna affect it?

Yes. It is best to locate the antenna at least three feet from any metal objects or other antennas.

I would keep is the 3ft distance.

Our FM signal is tapped off an amplifer/splitter from the TV antenna, which is mounted immediately below the 4kW radar antenna and I've never gotten any ill effects on the TV or stereo from having it so close (it does a GREAT job, btw ,plus eliminates an antenna & the running of the associated antenna cable to the stereo) . I would be worried if the radar was transmitting directly into the FM antenna...I suppose then there could be issues. I'd be more concerned about the antenna being too close to the VHF antenna. That's when you would see a problem since the frequencies of the VHF & stereo are very close & the VHF is outputting a continuous 25 watts of power directly into the stereo receiver. A (recreational) radar's output is pulsed and is a way higher frequency than the FM band.

Thanks for the good input. I've reconsidered...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom