I-Pad Mounts?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SeaBreeze

Vessel Name
SeaShell
Vessel Make
1974 Marine Trader 34 Sedan
I will be using my I-Pad for Navigation and was curious which mounts are being used and if you like it? I want to mount it on the console with my other instruments. I'd like it to be removable and flexible in its configurations.

We use a cook book stand made under the name “Prepara”. We bought it at a cooking gizmo store in Sarasota a few years ago. We didn’t want anything permanently mounted and have plenty of flat surfaces. It’s surprisingly stable, it’s adjustable and it stores flat.

Attachments

• F7C37AAF-3019-4DE0-B98C-4E2379A84603.jpg
    F7C37AAF-3019-4DE0-B98C-4E2379A84603.jpg
    128.5 KB · Views: 109
  • ACBBBD9B-8DEB-4722-B469-919DCD9EB449.jpg
    ACBBBD9B-8DEB-4722-B469-919DCD9EB449.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 120
  • 99CB7D20-0C63-400F-8F15-0A81DDA11858.jpg
    99CB7D20-0C63-400F-8F15-0A81DDA11858.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 116
+1 for RAM mounts:thumb:

A RAM mount is what we chose for our lower station IPad mount. It's very secure and infinitely adjustable. Santas helper is happy with it so it must be good.

Attachments

• IMG_1475 (2).jpg
    IMG_1475 (2).jpg
    99.5 KB · Views: 93
I put ipad in a waterproof case, then mounted with ram mount. Needs to be securely mounted in rough water. I use navionics. It is also loaded with weather apps, radar apps, kindle, etc. Gets a lot of use. Note that ipad in hot sun may overheat and shut down.

The Pivot case and mount is also an alternative. At least one airline has repaced the Ram mounts with Pivot mounts in cockpits.

CruiserChick I use iNavX and like it. Once I got used to navigating around on the screen I found it to work well. I'm curious what others use and how they compare to dedicated GPS units??

I use a RAM mount and since I normally pilot from the flybridge I have it attached to the rail. That's the good thing about RAM mounts - they have every conceivable way to mount and pivot.

Ken

Above the helm on my Mainship Pilot I have an a 10.5 iPad Pro in a waterproof Lifeproof Nuud case. It is held securely by a Slipgrip Ram mount. I added an Apple Lightning power cord with a 12v to 5v converter to keep it powered and charged. I have a series of marine apps including several weather apps, AyeTides XL, iDrifter anchor watch and charting apps including AquaMaps and Navionics which connects to my Axiom Raymarine Mfd. I also have the Xfinity TV app which enables me to get all my cable stations I get at home when I have internet access.

That’s my nephew at the the wheel.

Attachments

• IMG_2048.jpg
    IMG_2048.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_2047.JPG
    IMG_2047.JPG
    163.8 KB · Views: 70
Tamrow, is your Slip Grip Ram on a suction cup, or did you drill the mount in? Can you tilt the iPad for different viewing angles?

Agree, Ram mounts are great. I have only used suction cups, and they never come lose.

https://www.rammount.com/products/x-grip

Cant go wrong with RAM mounts. You can build the whole mount out of their different balls, socket arms.

I had the perfect computer swing arm mount. Bought it from West Marine. That set up when with the boat, West Marine stopped carrying the mount. I haven't found another "perfect mount". SIGH

Tamrow, is your Slip Grip Ram on a suction cup, or did you drill the mount in? Can you tilt the iPad for different viewing angles?

Agree, Ram mounts are great. I have only used suction cups, and they never come lose.

The iPad mount is a 1” ball with a round plate screwed in (4 screws) with a 3” double socket arm. It has limited articulation but I normally don’t need to move it much. I also have a 7” arm which has much more range and I even have a double ball connector so if I wanted I could have a full 10+ inches but I prefer the shorter 3” and have no need to have it longer.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom