Shopping for new boat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Seevee

Guru
Vessel Make
430 Mainship
Well, we all think of the "next boat" and I'm thinking and would like some comments.

Currently, I'm enjoying my time on the Loop and thinking about what next. If I repeat the Loop, I'll do a number of things different as most do. The boat would be one. While I love my Mainship, there's a few things it doesn't have.

First, I'd want twin engines and the ability to easily cruise at 20kts or better, with some sort of reasonable economy, perhaps 1 mile per gallon.

Don't need the speed most of the time, but want the option. There have been many times on this trip where a bit of speed would make a huge difference.

Also, like a lot of the features of the Mainship.... stairs instead of ladders, flybridge overhang, reasonable cockpit and swim platform, open salon/galley, reasonable draft less than 4 ft......

The 42 Beneteau comes to mind. Others in that 38 to 43 ft range?
While the MJM be great for speed and economy, but it's a bit pricey, and doesn't have a flybridge which I really like for most cruising days.

Thoughts?

Greetings,
Mr. S. Sounds like you're looking for a convertible style sportfish or a downeast style with a FB.

The Grand Banks 47 that we had meets most of your requirements except fuel burn. At 20kts it got 0.5-0.4 nmpg. I think you would need to a lot lighter (and hence smaller) to get 1nmpg. But if you only go fast occasionally, that might be the least important thing.

Our boat fits most of your requirements too. 42' Navigator....stairs, wide side decks (no over hang though), nice cockpit, huge flybridge, 4ft draft, walk around queen and 1gal per mph. Sorta. We have been cruising at around 10mph, burning 9gph. Cruising up on plane at 19mph burns around 15-16gph.

Although Navigators in our size are pretty rare. Going up to the 46-48-50' takes the flybridge stairs and walk around decks off, but then you have a full pilothouse with PH doors to side decks and interior stairs to FB. Nice heavy solid fiberglass hull too. :thumb:

Happy Shopping!!

Our boat fits most of your requirements too. 42' Navigator....stairs, wide side decks (no over hang though), nice cockpit, huge flybridge, 4ft draft, walk around queen and 1gal per mph. Sorta. We have been cruising at around 10mph, burning 9gph. Cruising up on plane at 19mph burns around 15-16gph.

Although Navigators in our size are pretty rare. Going up to the 46-48-50' takes the flybridge stairs and walk around decks off, but then you have a full pilothouse with PH doors to side decks and interior stairs to FB. Nice heavy solid fiberglass hull too. :thumb:

Happy Shopping!!

Let me add that the hull design of the Navigator is extremely efficient. Other boats in this size and weight class usually require far more horsepower to maintain the same speed. I have been extremely surprised at the fuel efficiency.

Navigators have very good storage and would probably be very good doing the loop. The electrical system, if stock, should be looked at before you start doing a lot of anchoring. It was just a few 8Ds in a confusing layout of battery switches, so that was the first things we changed.

Because of the build method Jules used, all Navigators have the same 15' beam. That is a HUGE plus on the shorter models (and a negative on the longer ones), so if you can find a 42' or 44', you'll find a very pleasing amount of space in both the cabin... and especially the engine room!

There are some downsides. The main stateroom is buried under the pilothouse on the smaller models. There are only two portlites for airflow and light. Overall, the bedroom is smaller than I would like. Still, I would rather have larger everything else in order to sacrifice bedroom space.

The 48s are the most popular. You'll find a lot of them, but like Bess said, you do lose a couple of features on your list. You will need to decide if it's worth it or not to you.

I’ve often contemplated similar features, but just can’t live with the fuel consumption on the mono-hulls. That extra turn of “speed” eluded us. It remains the biggest sacrifice we made among the features of the boat we selected, but the only examples we could find with that sacred combination of speed and economy were hi-buck catamarans, and because they make great live-aboards too, we are still giving a few of those designs serious consideration. Yes, they are beamy, but more than a few are at 16 ft, ...still pretty good for most slips.

Happy Shopping!!

Thx for the info. I've been traveling a bit with a friend on a 44 Navigator and it's a very impressive boat. Some very nice features.

The Grand Banks 47 that we had meets most of your requirements except fuel burn. At 20kts it got 0.5-0.4 nmpg. I think you would need to a lot lighter (and hence smaller) to get 1nmpg. But if you only go fast occasionally, that might be the least important thing.

The GB is a great boat, but getting up much above 45 is really pushing my dock space. And there's quite a few boats that get that 1 mph on plane speeds. Not a killer deal but I'd like to aim at a bit smaller and lighter boat.

Hello all and for you "Seevee"

Maybe you could be interesting by a "Jeanneau Velasco 43". One of my friend got this boat, he is very satisfied with this boat. As the Velasco 43 has a semi-hull hull, you can comfortably sail at 8 knots but also at 16 knots (this is useful if the weather becomes bad and allows you to quickly return to port (harbour) to get you safe). However at the level of resistance of the hull you will not find the solidity of the American or Nordic trawlers.
Here is the link about Jeanneau USA:
https://www.jeanneauamerica.com/en/boats/12-velasco/49-velasco-43f
Note: I do not advertise for "Jeanneau", it's just to offer you a suggestion

Best regards,

Joel de Binic

Back
Top Bottom