stevemitchell
Guru

City: Seattle
Vessel Name: Aruna
Vessel Model: Kristen Yachts 50 Pilot House
Hi Rufus,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
We have a '90 44 sundeck/cockpit. It was originally in Portland, then Seattle, then Austin Texas, and finally the Great Lakes in 2005. It did have some minor blisters, which I fixed and then epoxy barrier coated. Not a one in the past 13 years (and I check it every Fall during Winter haul out). Zero issues with "soft" decks from water intrusion.
Thanks for this - the previous owner has stated there aren't any, so I will be on the look out during survey.

Quote:
Look for evidence of water leaks on veneer directly ahead when you step through the sundeck sliding door, and around the release mechanism on the sliding side door (if it has one,,,optional), Condensation from windshield frames might result in varnish lifting on the shelf area underneath (easy repair). We've seen no leak issues around side windows. The seals around the windscreen glass panels deteriorate at about this age. All associated rubber seals/trim are available from OA Seattle. I just replaced the ones on our boat
I did not see any water damage on the veneer near the sundeck door. I don't have a sliding side door. No varnish issues on the shelves, but the windows themselves were removed and rebedded sometime in the last 10 years due to the usual OA leaky window problem. The varnish around the windows was affected due to the leaking. There is a guy out here in the local area that has done a lot of the OA windows apparently.

Quote:
Door rollers/tracks might need replacement. I also just replaced these items. Cutless bearings were done a few years ago. Original sewage hoses would be "done". I replaced them with solid PVC and flex hose for the bends. Also added a second big holding tank in the transom. Converted to fresh water flush. Just fixed a leak from anchor locker drain. Painted non-skid areas on forward deck, which were losing gelcoat (it erodes and a light blue shows through). No issues with gelcoat otherwise (a good buffing brought it back to like new 12 years ago and it's still that way (waxed religiously).
I think the cutlass bearings were done on this boat in 2015, but I will be checking records/survey. I don't know about the sewage hoses, but I've done that on two previous boats, and while it is not something I "want" to do, I prefer Raritan Sani-Flex and will add that to my list if it is not done anyhow.

A second holding tank is an interesting idea. I suspect my transom is smaller than yours, as that is where the water tank and steering gear is. I might be able to stick something to one side, but I'll see how I do for the first 6 months or so!

I don't know if this is a fresh or salt water flush, will have to look. I thought it was fresh water. The boat also has a water maker on it, so no issues with keeping up on the fresh side.

I talked with one other local OA owner and they did the same thing with the non-skid areas in terms of paint. This boat looks pristine there, nothing showing, very shiny and in good condition, but painting is not that big of a deal to do if needed - good to know.

Quote:
Excellent electrical/wiring...zero issues there.
Yup, this is one of the reasons I fell in love with the boat. There have been some good upgrades, but I plan on adding a full Victron Energy control system, and of course it will be a test bed for the various instruments that I have from manufacturers. I'm really looking forward to making the flybridge my test bed area for all of that stuff, and the wiring, chases, and general layout will make that much easier to work with.

Quote:
Great boat and layout. We like that you can look out the low side windows while sitting in the salon. Try that in a Hatt or a Californian, etc. Great cruiser...frugal fuel burn. We live aboard for five months on Great Lakes. If you PM me I'll send you my phone number and I can give you more specifics if you want to call. We looked for two years for a 42/44/46 sundeck/cockpit. The perfect boat in that size range (if you don't mind stairs). I just had a new knee installed and it's great exercise.
Regards
That was one of the selling points to me too. We looked at Hatteras', Tollycraft, Californian, and others, and the windows in the OA were much better. The salon itself just feels a bit more homey and open.

Thanks for all of the details!
stevemitchell is offline   Reply With Quote