View Single Post
Old 09-30-2018, 06:05 PM   #12
ghost
Guru

City: Anacortes
Usually soot is the pain in the A factor when this happens. That can be a bear to clean up and it can stink for awhile until it decides to finally finish offgassing.

I happen to believe that a complete front to back zeroing out of the cooling system is mandatory for any new to me boat purchase. So in my mind, I’d have the seller do exactly that to this engine and the other one if this is twins. I might start the mechanical survey now, reaffirm that the engines have had essentially zero preventative maintenance in 12years, but hopefully oil changes have been done and with some evidence of that. Then I would appropriately accost the seller for having a boat with significant deferred maintenance and discount around 40% of engine replacements due to the deferred maintenance. Seller might go for it, because he absolutely knows and worries about exactly that, because that’s why he took the first test drive in a long time before you got there in the first place. He is at an emotional weak point, and I’d happily respond with an offer equal to the condition that he worries may exist. Removes most of the risk and as a buyer I don’t take risk if I can help it. If I didn’t have a good idea of overall condition, that’s when I would walk, everything else can be adjusted for except risk. Accept little of that.
ghost is offline   Reply With Quote