two plotters-one transducer??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fighterpilot

Can I feed both my Garmin 2010c and 2006c from one transducer. I have the 20 sonor unit for the 2010 but the boat came with a 2006c, no transducer. Going to use separate antennae for GPS function, but hate to have to put in two transduers.

Up date on Amazing Grace. Took boat out today for a little shake down cruise and some fishing.* Fishing was bad but the shake down was productive. Port engine overheat taken care of after cleaning the heat exchanger and opening up the water holes in the riser. Got to do the same for the starboard engine now. Got to pull the toilet--filled up with water--holding tank empty but may be a back flow valve in it that is malfunctioning. Macerator pump on it runs, water swirls but doesn't empty the bowl. I had problems with the overboard thru hull leaking and when I used stand alone macerator as a pump out thru the waste port pulled sea water into the holding tank. Shut thru hull, replumbed hose so loop above the water level in the event thru hull leaked, and had vent fitting off to replace so know tank started the trip empty. Suspect problem in toilet???

Big problem however, on the way home some "slipage" in port engine drive train when adding power above about 1500RPM. Prop? Tx? Gave the impression the transmission was slipping--engine would rev. than system would "catch". MG 502 on 3208N, 1983 vintage. Checked tx. fluid when I got home==looks overfilled to me. No pressure gage on this set up so can't tell pressures. Not sure what to do next. Have a Great New Year.

Fighterpilot wrote:

Can I feed both my Garmin 2010c and 2006c from one transducer. I have the 20 sonor unit for the 2010 but the boat came with a 2006c, no transducer. Going to use separate antennae for GPS function, but hate to have to put in two transduers.

You'll need to check the manuals.* If these units can be networked (I have two 5208s networked) then they will probably share the sonar.* It's going to be in the manuals.* I don't think you can split the wires and run them to multiple units.

You can probably download the manuals from the Garmin website.

On that same subject, in many cases, two transducers on the same boat will interfere with each other and give bogus readings.* That's what was on my boat when I bought it and I had to leave one off at all times.

Fighterpilot wrote:*Checked tx. fluid when I got home==looks overfilled to me. No pressure gage on this set up so can't tell pressures. Not sure what to do next. Have a Great New Year.
About the only thing I can think of that will overfill a transmission is raw cooling water getting into it via a failed transmission fluid heat exchanger.* If this is what's happening to yours you have a pretty short window to try to eliminate the leak (replace the exchanger) and flush out the transmission before a major overhaul is required.* Sometimes flushing will manage to save things, sometimes not, if this is, in fact, the problem you are experiencing.

-- Edited by Marin on Friday 30th of December 2011 08:10:14 PM

Regarding the tx. If I drain off the fluid, I*should be able to tell if any water in it.. Since oil floats on water the water should come off first than the oil. Right?

According to the Garmin website, a GSD 20 will supply info to 2 units. If I read the specs correctly, both the 2006 & 2010 have NMEA 0183 ports that should accept net working w/ your sounder module. However, I'm no expert on this stuff. My experience with Garmin tech support, even for discontinued units, is great. I have a 2006c that I am replacing with 2 3205's; upper & lower stations, that we'll probably network together for antenna simplification. A sounder module may also be incorporated. I have 502's attached to my Detroit's . Water leakage would probably show up with color changes in the oil (milky). Attaching a pressure gauge on these units is simply a matter of plugging into the port on the aft side of the trans & attaching a gauge. I had an issue with a slipping linkage attach point as well. I'd also suggest an oil sample to check for any heavy metal(s) showing up that would indicate slippage or major sudden wear. It is hard for water to enter the unit underway as it is under 300+# of pressure. It is also equally hard to get an accurate dipstick reading at idle, at least on mine. I have to drain it & record exactly how much I put in to get it right. If you have a cooler leak, it may also show up as a slick from the exhaust. Again, I'm no expert, just the owner of an older Californian 34. Have a great boating year.

CHC is right on - Garmin 2006 and 2010 are the same technology from about 6 - 7 years ago and are compatible with each other, but I think they may have been a couple of years before the Garmin ethernet network came out.* With*ethernet connectivity two or more chartplotters can be*interfaced through a Garmin Network hub and share all the same resources, very simple, plug and play.* Go to the Garmin website and download the manuals if you don't have them.* It's the same manual for both.*They are probably at least*NMEA compatible and there may be resource sharing capabilities between the two plotters in that case.*

Even though they are out of production, they are very powerful plotter platforms and still very usable.

Larry B

Fighterpilot, it sounds like you've gotten good advice on your sounder and transmission problems. I think we need more information about your toilet set up to address that problem. Could you post a drawing of the plumbing set up? I'm thinking you have a valve problem not a toilet problem. You're sure the vent line isn't blocked? What make and model is the toilet?

Tx first. No milky oil, in fact oil so clear it is hard to discern how far up the dip stick it comes. I checked the other tx while I was there and can see where it is on the dip stick, but the other one seems to be oily 3 or 4 inches up the stick.

I have the manuals for the GPS but very little in them regarding the GSD 20 transducer hook up. I'll keep searching.

When was the oil changed in the TX? It is easy to overfill these units. I found that I had to start from scratch w/my port unit; drained it & filled with the amount shown in the manual; ran it, checked it while at idle, & added a small amount at a time to allow for the lines to & from the cooler. Annoying & a real pain but it was the only way I could do it, as I can't really get a good reading on the dipstick; looks like it is wet all the way; backside is more accurate. Other side (stbd) does not seem to have the issue, & reads easily.

I'll see what I can figure out on the toilet. No literature with the boat.

Don't know when oil was changed on Tx. will probably drain it out and start over like you did.

Good news on transducer/two Garmins. Found a manual on line and found a wiring diagram for two garmin 2010/2006C with one transducer and one GSD 20.

Thanks for all your help. Will get back to you on the toilet. I too suspect a valve problem, maybe a reduce flow from toilet to holding tank problem. Holding tank was full when I bought the boat. Don't think it had been pumped for months if not years. Could not open the waste pump out station fitting--had to remove the whole unit an go with a new one. Do know that I pumped 70 gal. of liquid out of the 35 gal. holding tank when I was trying to empty it. Determined pulling sea water from thru hull since vent line was pluged up and thru hull was open.

Ron

I*have 3 transducers on my vessel, all work perfectly. There is a separation distance prescribed in the manuals which describes the bad things that can happen if they are too close.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom